View Poll Results: What xpac had the more worse story?

Voters
420. This poll is closed
  • WoD

151 35.95%
  • SL

269 64.05%
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    This is where we apply the standard rule for all things WoW.

<insert current thing> is always the worst example of <thing> ever.

The story is fine, problem is people just can't be bothered acutally following it - they just want the action and explosions.

Same thing happened with GoT, story was fine all the way to the end - but people ignored all the plot development, then whinged when they didn't understand the story.
    So every human being is just to stupid to understand the got story except you. You really have to have some insight no one else has.
    But comparing wow and got storys actually has some parallels. Both show how bad it is to focus on money instead of story.

WoD.

I'm sorry but the whole time machine, another dimension just doesn't sit right with me.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean one was boring the other i had no interest in at all
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

They're both equally terrible.

WoD was arguably more damaging lore-wise with its alternate universe shenanigans.

And Shadowlands is just incompetence and willful abuse of the lore. I cannot believe how they butchered Elune with a single cinematic. It's unforgivable.

Quote Originally Posted by Foolicious View Post
    So every human being is just to stupid to understand the got story except you. You really have to have some insight no one else has.
    But comparing wow and got storys actually has some parallels. Both show how bad it is to focus on money instead of story.
    It's just another case of wong-way-driver syndrome, everyone else just doesn't get it.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

I didn't play 9.1 but the problem with WoD was that it was just unfinished not that the story was necessarily bad.

I guess the final to HFP was stupid with Grom screaming we are free, but don't people generally like the leveling story?

Alternate universe stuff aside, because they didn't end up doing anything with that at any point after WoD and it seemed like even Afrasiabi (May he be remembered with scorn and shame) backed away from it and it was some of his ideas.

Shadowlands is the worst expansion for lore. The fact Zovaal is Thanos, and Sylvanas says “I will never serve”, after already having been serving the Jailer is just lol, and Anduin becoming another pseudo Lich King.

Quote Originally Posted by Mightytasty View Post

Max level campaign story: Advantage SL, I don’t think WoD even had one.

WoD had the Garrison campaign. Although the only real important parts were the final 4 chapters (mainly for alliance as a lore character dies on the Alliance side of the story while a random orc peon does for horde), the chapter where Yrel becomes an Exarch (alliance only) and the chapter where you defeat Socrethar (as that leads into his raid encounter in HFC).

You also had the legendary ring chain with the Heroic Dungeon, Highmaul and the Blackrock foundry sections at launch. Although you had to wait until BRF released to start that section.
    Last edited by Volardelis; 2021-08-02 at 05:20 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm waiting for the ass-pull "this was all Sylvanas' plan all along!"
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

Quote Originally Posted by Drindorai View Post

Alternate universe stuff aside, because they didn't end up doing anything with that at any point after WoD and it seemed like even Afrasiabi (May he be remembered with scorn and shame) backed away from it and it was some of his ideas.
    The Mag'har orc allied race?

Quote Originally Posted by Volardelis View Post
    The Mag'har orc allied race?
    Yeah Yrel ends up going mad by the light, and starts a crusade.

WoD's story was dumb but fine right up until the ending where suddenly Grommash was the hero of everyone and the Dranei, the people who he had been committing genocide against were cheering him.

The SL story has so many dumb holes in it combined with total disappointments. Its definitely worse.

I like Shadowlands story. It's a net-positive to me. There are things I don't like, but they are outweighed by the bad things.

WoD on the other hand...net negative. Not only is the setting for the X-pac in a meaningless alt-timeline, but it's not even an alternate version of our world (Azeroth), it's an alternate version of outland. Still wrecks by brain.

An expansion set in an alternate timeline version of an already alternate planet is just silly to me. Especially when there's so much more of the Warcraft universe to explore. Hell, when WoD came out - there was still plenty left on Azeroth to explore.

But nooooo...alt timeline outland.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWorkingTitle View Post
    They're both equally terrible.

WoD was arguably more damaging lore-wise with its alternate universe shenanigans.

And Shadowlands is just incompetence and willful abuse of the lore. I cannot believe how they butchered Elune with a single cinematic. It's unforgivable.
    I don't really get this argument. How was the alternate universe part more damaging? WoD has been framed in such a way that it is completely contained in itself. Even if we actually care about the Legion bit and it's shoddy and inconsistent realization (what they said and what happens does not mesh tbh), comparing that to whatever we currently do in the afterlife, making it essentially the true par of life, since you will be spending eons that way, seems way more damaging, as it completely takes all the stakes out of death - and frankly living as well.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2021-08-02 at 05:56 AM.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Voted WoD.

Time travel to make sense must be done right and WoD was a nostalgia driven shitshow.

The problem with SL story is not the story itself but how it's told to players. On this aspect, SL is doing a terrible job, mostly because ActiBlizzard wants you to buy a plethora of books to fill uo the gaos and inconsistencies.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

10+ Year Old Account
    SL is much worse.

WoD by far.

It was less intriguing, ruined old established lore and opened up a gigantic can of alternate universe worms.

SL is just not that good, but that is to be expected.

15+ Year Old Account
    I hate orcs so much that WoD was my biggest game break yet.
    On the other side SL's divided zones is something they should never ever do again. Such a bad idea

The story is better but the setting is evenly bad. It just doesn't fit into the game. But are least no orcs
    Zorn | Vynd | Pheraz | Sylwina | Mondlicht | Eis | Blut | Emerelle - Plus 20 more...

Quote Originally Posted by CenariusTheForestLord View Post
    YES. THANK YOU.
    Nothing we've done as player characters this expansion has made sense.
    We became the first in millenia to be able to travel back and forth to the maw.
    What do we do with that power?
    Collect some ghost shards and help a merchant build a trade route.
    its true aboyt every expansion... in Legion you were deathlord/high priest or whatever, leader of your class order and what did you do? whatever ANYBODY in your class order, that you were supposed to lead, told you

Quote Originally Posted by Athorha View Post
    I think both stories had great development/ contribution to the overall story.

Mmoc is just full of a vocal minority who don't understand that when you're reading a book (experiencing a story) and 9nly one chapter comes out at a time, that you're limited in your scope of seeing how it wraps up entirely.

But yeah... the player character is supposed to be an all knowing God who sees the future, we definitely aren't pawns and have done nothing but follow orders since vanilla
    Is the 1:9 like to dislike ratio of SL cinematics on youtube also a vocal minority? Because while I cant argue the fact that forums represent a minority, I m pretty sure a huge number of people watch the videos on youtube.