Page 1 of 13
... LastLast

Would you return if there is a Mage Tower timewalking?

There are signs of a coming 9.1.5 patch. Probably, Blizzard would implement a little bit of lore, reduce the grind, and maybe they implement a Legion time walking.

What if they decide to return the Mage Tower?

Would your return 1 week just try to get the artifact skins?

Do you think WoW's subs are so low that Blizzard needs to bring back this popular feature?

This wouldnt be enough for ppl to come back for. And if it was, it would be just to get the skins and unsub again.
    Intel i9 9900K @ 5GHz | Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 @ 3600MHz 2x8GB | Asus Maximus XI Z390 | Asus RTX 3080 Ti OC | Corsair HX850 Platinum | Corsair H150i Pro CPU cooler | Acer Predator 32" 2560x1440 170MHz | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB m.2 NVMe SSD | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB m.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair K70 Rapidfire Keyboard | Corsair Virtuoso XT RGB Headphones | Corsair Crystal Series 570x RGB Case | Logitech G604 | Windows 11 Professional x64
    My Youtube Channel

Just remove millions and millions of systems that everyone is fed up with... and lots of people will return. And of course... SoloQ. Tons of people will resub just to try it out.

I actually never understood why they just removed it. To keep the challenge, they could make you scaled down like MoP challenge mode.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    the Mage Tower was good and all but I don't think it would drag people back. The people who wanted the effects did it when it was current, sometimes it is perfectly ok to leave content in the past - similar to challenge mode dungeons and other features retired after some expansions

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    I actually never understood why they just removed it. To keep the challenge, they could make you scaled down like MoP challenge mode.
    Shorterm boost in subs. Sure longterm it hurts but in that moment they got their quarter report fixed.

The fact that there isn't already only speaks to Blizzard's arrogance and insistence to trash two years of work every expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by KainneAbsolute View Post
    There are signs of a coming 9.1.5 patch. Probably, Blizzard would implement a little bit of lore, reduce the grind, and maybe they implement a Legion time walking.

Do you think WoW's subs are so low that Blizzard needs to bring back this popular feature?
    This "popular" feature that was so popular Blizzard completely abandoned it and 2 expansions later have not brought it back? Sorry to be the one to say this - I said it at the time and was laughed at, ill say it now and get laughed at - The MT was NOT that popular, and participation was low, outside of the mad zerg right at the end when every man and their dog could do most of them in greens.

Its VERY clear that Blizzard did not consider it a success - what im not sure about is if it was related to development time (cost), low overall participation, or a combination of both.

Lastly, to answer the question, no, rehashed "content" i have already done would absolutely NOT be enough to bring me back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    It's the equivalent of a "seasonal" reward such as elite PvP gear, mythic raid mounts, certain titles, M+ mounts or gladiator mounts.

It's actually good for the game to have seasonal rewards and the Mage Tower was among the best of them because it started early, then the content experienced the natural nerf so you could get the skins later in the expansion if you wanted.

I have all 36 base skins from Mage Tower unlocked and it certainly wouldn't hurt me in the least if other players still had the chance to obtain them. Just as I would love to obtain all the fantastic elite gladiator sets that are no longer available to players.

But last time Blizzard even hinted of the possibility of allowing players to unlock legacy elite gladiator sets, the pvp community on the official forums practically revolted. I've never seen them as united behind a single cause as that, pvp vendors included.

I suspect a lot of players who earned the Mage Tower skins back then may protest their renewed availability as well.

If you ask me, timed-exclusivity rewards should be a thing of the past, but there's also no denying that it encourages me to acquire a lot of items I wouldn't otherwise bother acquiring. Probably helps fuel engagement metrics as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Unlimited Power View Post
    I have all 36 base skins from Mage Tower unlocked and it certainly wouldn't hurt me in the least if other players still had the chance to obtain them. Just as I would love to obtain all the fantastic elite gladiator sets that are no longer available to players.

But last time Blizzard even hinted of the possibility of allowing players to unlock legacy elite gladiator sets, the pvp community on the official forums practically revolted. I've never seen them as united behind a single cause as that, pvp vendors included.

I suspect a lot of players who earned the Mage Tower skins back then may protest their renewed availability as well.

If you ask me, timed-exclusivity rewards should be a thing of the past, but there's also no denying that it encourages me to acquire a lot of items I wouldn't otherwise bother acquiring. Probably helps fuel engagement metrics as well.
    I agree 100%, I'm also in favor of blizz bringing back challenge modes (MOP/WOD) , it wouldn't hurt me at all - heck I like seeing the sets on people because I think they still look good

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    This "popular" feature that was so popular Blizzard completely abandoned it and 2 expansions later have not brought it back? Sorry to be the one to say this - I said it at the time and was laughed at, ill say it now and get laughed at - The MT was NOT that popular, and participation was low, outside of the mad zerg right at the end when every man and their dog could do most of them in greens.

Its VERY clear that Blizzard did not consider it a success - what im not sure about is if it was related to development time (cost), low overall participation, or a combination of both.

Lastly, to answer the question, no, rehashed "content" i have already done would absolutely NOT be enough to bring me back.
    Blizzard hasn't abandoned it, they just chose to express the seasonality into group content. Which is pretty common for developers of an MMO.

They are always hoping that we'll start grouping up and find people we like to play with and in doing so we'll continue to play.

I can say that they probably didn't consider it a success in terms of development costs - mostly for the narrative need. Writing the damn storylines takes forever from what they've said.

However the roots of the Mage Tower can be found now in Torghast. Especially 2.0 Torghast where for a lot of folks it'll be a lot easier to 5 star a run solo than in a group and the content naturally nerfs itself as you gain item level and frankly just not being hosed by RNG was a pretty big factor in early successful runs of the Mage Tower too. Which can definitely be the case with Torghast.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelly View Post
    Blizzard hasn't abandoned it, they just chose to express the seasonality into group content. Which is pretty common for developers of an MMO.

They are always hoping that we'll start grouping up and find people we like to play with and in doing so we'll continue to play.

I can say that they probably didn't consider it a success in terms of development costs - mostly for the narrative need. Writing the damn storylines takes forever from what they've said.

However the roots of the Mage Tower can be found now in Torghast. Especially 2.0 Torghast where for a lot of folks it'll be a lot easier to 5 star a run solo than in a group and the content naturally nerfs itself as you gain item level and frankly just not being hosed by RNG was a pretty big factor in early successful runs of the Mage Tower too. Which can definitely be the case with Torghast.
    Did.......did you just compare the MT to.....Torghast? Good god man, you cant honestly stand by that comparison, can you? And yes, they absolutely have abandoned it - Can you still do it? No. Have they said they will make it playable again? Nope. Have they created a new version of it over the last two expansions? Nope, they have not.
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    Did.......did you just compare the MT to.....Torghast? Good god man, you cant honestly stand by that comparison, can you? And yes, they absolutely have abandoned it - Can you still do it? No. Have they said they will make it playable again? Nope. Have they created a new version of it over the last two expansions? Nope, they have not.
    Yes.

Yes I did.

And yeah, I stand by it.

Mage tower was individually tuned content for cosmetic rewards.

Then we had Islands which were spec-tuned content for cosmetic rewards.

Now we have Torghast which is spec-tuned content for cosmetic rewards.

I'm sorry you don't like the direction of how they've chosen to refine the content but there ya go.

Yes.

Yes I did.

And yeah, I stand by it.

I'm sorry you don't like the direction of how they've chosen to refine the content but there ya go.
    Uh... what game are YOU playing?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelly
    Now we have Torghast which is spec-tuned content for cosmetic rewards. .
    Hahaha... Torghast is the most UNTUNED content ever.
    I'm a fairly average player. Torghast Layer 10 is "tuned" for iLevel 223 (my exact iLevel), yet I can barely solo Layer 6, which IIRC should be iLevel 180.

Also, it isn't only for cosmetics; it's for quests, followers, battle pets, legendary (crafting) items... Neither is cosmetic..... And then it's for transmogs and mounts, which are indeed cosmetic.

When Blizzard first announced Torghast, they were actually very adamant about Torghast would be 100% cosmetic. Another huge lie..

Quote Originally Posted by KainneAbsolute View Post

I'm still subbed, and I wouldn't do Mage Tower if it came back; I would never resub for it, if I was unsubbed. It wasn't good content.
    Last edited by FuxieDK; 2021-08-15 at 09:48 PM.
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

A mage tower type pf thing alone is not nearly enough to get people interested ... especially since in order to be able to complete it, one will still have to go through the rest of the bullshit

What?? Torghast has nothing to do with mage tower. It's literally just a collection of random garbage thrown together then gated with the talent thing in the same way they did with the visions to try to make you run it for a longer period.
    Mage Tower was purely executing an challenge tailored for the spec.
    Last edited by kranur; 2021-08-15 at 09:21 PM.

I think people very much overestimate how popular the mage tower really was.

Yes.

Yes I did.

And yeah, I stand by it.

But.....none of that is accurate other than "cosmetic rewards", and that ignores the fact torghast is NOT only for cosmetic rewards..... MT was tightly tuned and heavily scripted BOSS ENCOUNTERS that take similar time to an actual boss encounter in a raid / dungeon, that was time limited with exclusive rewards tied directly to the theme of the expansion.

The fact you can honestly say you think IE was the next iteration of MT, and that Torghast is the next iteration after that shoes you are either entirely clueless, or just extremely disingenuous.