Poll: Will you upgrade to Windows 11?

Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerph- View Post
    Ctrl + Shift + Esc is your friend for launching the Task Manager. Although I agree it's silly to remove these things.
    Just my opinion and its not just 11 but other changes in past OS's updates, the Idea of a GUI is less work via keyboard and more with a pointer\mouse\touch and any time you have to fall back to the keyboard short of typing is a failure in a GUI based OS's part.

*Only running it on a test computer not seeing the benefits outweighing the missing interface fuctions for me to use 11 on any of my main PC's, granted there are a ways to put them back but that's extra registry changes and 3rd party programs that the next patch could just break.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadwen View Post
    Just my opinion and its not just 11 but other changes in past OS's updates, the Idea of a GUI is less work via keyboard and more with a pointer\mouse\touch and any time you have to fall back to the keyboard short of typing is a failure in a GUI based OS's part.

*Only running it on a test computer not seeing the benefits outweighing the missing interface fuctions for me to use 11 on any of my main PC's, granted there are a ways to put them back but that's extra registry changes and 3rd party programs that the next patch could just break.
    Oh I agree entirely, I just thought I'd share an alternative keyboard shortcut to getting to the Task Manager You're definitely right though, some of the changes are... peculiar to say the least.

10+ Year Old Account
    Only if you CAN'T do it with the GUI. There's a reason most programs have hotkeys for all sorts of things.
    Like in WoW, you can either click the menu button, or you can press escape.
    Or you can click the character icon, or you can press c
    Or you can click each ability on your action bars, or you can press the buttons on the keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Only if you CAN'T do it with the GUI. There's a reason most programs have hotkeys for all sorts of things.
    Like in WoW, you can either click the menu button, or you can press escape.
    Or you can click the character icon, or you can press c
    Or you can click each ability on your action bars, or you can press the buttons on the keyboard.
    ? not sure I follow you? , in this case it was something that worked fine in 10 but not 11, going from a GUI design standpoint it's worse. (more you have to fall back on hotkeys for things the more poorly designed your GUI is) *especially things that have showed to work fine without using the keyboard.

10+ Year Old Account
    ? not sure I follow you? , in this case it was something that worked fine in 10 but not 11, going from a GUI design standpoint it's worse. (more you have to fall back on hotkeys for things the more poorly designed your GUI is) *especially things that have showed to work fine without using the keyboard.
    Some people don't care about opening the task manager. If something is wrong they take it to a shop, or just get a new one. The change has no effect on them.
    Some people know the hotkey for opening the task manager. The change has no effect on them
    And some people want to open task manager but either don't know, or don't want to use the hotkey. The change has an effect on them. They are also a minority

Nope! I run an AMD CPU and there have been way tooo many reports of performance loss for me to bother with it. Maybe before the end of its life cycle if I see real reports that these issues have been fixed by M$ I'll upgrade but not anytime soon.
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

Some people don't care about opening the task manager. If something is wrong they take it to a shop, or just get a new one. The change has no effect on them.
    Some people know the hotkey for opening the task manager. The change has no effect on them
    And some people want to open task manager but either don't know, or don't want to use the hotkey. The change has an effect on them. They are also a minority
    And????? the point is you're taking away a GUI type action and replacing it with a keyboard (terminal) based cmd? (kinda defeats the idea of having a GUI).
    some people use MAC's but we're not talking about them, we're taking about those ones that did use right click and do use task-manager , myself and some above in this tread that do\did use it.

funny I've love to see how you think this change only effect a minority, it's one of the most common complaints I've seen on a number of sites. (and over 15,000 up-votes on the feedback hub for it too).
    Last edited by Dadwen; 2021-11-02 at 04:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    CTRL+ALT+DELETE, there is an option for task manager... This one has worked for all NT windows, did they removed that aswell?

I never use the option in start menu, i've always called task manager this way since W2K.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    CTRL+ALT+DELETE, there is an option for task manager... This one has worked for all NT windows, did they removed that aswell?

I never use the option in start menu, i've always called task manager this way since W2K.
    There are several ways to get to it, but the most common was for a number of users was right click on the task bar (much easier when you're remote into someones PC too than getting hot keys to pass though depending on the remote program you're using).

10+ Year Old Account
    And????? the point is you're taking away a GUI type action and replacing it with a keyboard (terminal) based cmd? (kinda defeats the idea of having a GUI).
    some people use MAC's but we're not talking about them, we're taking about those ones that did use right click and do use task-manager , myself and some above in this tread that do\did use it.

funny I've love to see how you think this change only effect a minority, it's one of the most common complaints I've seen on a number of sites. (and over 15,000 up-votes on the feedback hub for it too).
    You can still do it in the GUI though. It's a couple more steps, but it's still doable
    And wow, 15 000 people.. I wonder how many people use windows?

You can still do it in the GUI though. It's a couple more steps, but it's still doable
    great "update" design there - you can still do it but it's more work now?.

*and 15,000 is a good number on the feedback hub.
    Last edited by Dadwen; 2021-11-02 at 05:50 PM.

I don't even think it's a couple more steps. I think you just need to right click on the Windows Icon at the middle of the bar and open task manager

Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    I don't even think it's a couple more steps. I think you just need to right click on the Windows Icon at the middle of the bar and open task manager
    They left that in from 10 so not sure why it would be so hard to leave it on the task bar in 10 then too, so its easier to get to (on multi screens too).

*Plus you lose that option with some of the start menu replacement programs.
    Last edited by Dadwen; 2021-11-02 at 06:10 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    While it personally doesn't bother me and I'm happily using Windows 11, I am curious why they made some of these changes.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    Ran w11 during the beta for a bit. Some things were a nice change and others were deal breakers for me just as an in general. Went back to W10 and I'll stick with it for the future (at least another year or so) while MS adds in the things that should of never been removed in the first place and works on other things in the day to day with the OS. Ran it for 2+ months during insider testing and the release is not much of a difference. Half baked at best and needed more time in the cooker before a public release.

- - - Updated - - -

The thing is why add in a few more steps? It was generally fine the way it was and there was no "need" for the change outside of them just wanting to change things. Also they lost the functionality of being able to drop an image to the taskbar and open the app you are dropping it to (this worked for a lot of things) which just made things faster. Now it's go open the app after finding it and click file, open find the file and open it. It's little things they have done that have upset people cause it messes with workflow in day to day life with a lot of professionals.

Some of the changes are great I'll admit that some on the other hand are just head scratchers and wtf were you thinking?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cidic View Post
    The thing is why add in a few more steps?
    Lol, its from the same guys that wasted implementation time to hidde the shut down button in W8, what would we expect?

I told myself I wasn't going to upgrade, and the AMD issues were enough for me to wait for a patch, but I did decide to upgrade a few days ago because I figured I'd see whether it was a good step in the right direction.

The installation took 6 hours. No kidding, 6 bloody hours. The desktop installer went from 0 to 70% within a few minutes, and then each 1% after took progressively longer, with the final 1% (from 99% to 100%) taking over 40 minutes. After that, it took another 30 minutes or so to get through the post-restart installation process. You'd think a 3900X, 128GB RAM, 3080, 8TB SATA SSD and a 1GB net connection would make the installation be over quickly.

So, finally, I get into Windows 11, and straight off the bat, these things were deal-breakers:

- No way to ungroup taskbar Windows and no labels. I'm a damn power user, and even though alt-tab is fairly common day to day, sometimes I just wanna go straight to a window via the taskbar. Now you've gotta remember which icon is for which program? Shouldn't be a problem, if it wasn't for the fact that when you have several Chrome windows open, each with many tabs, you've now gotta select the taskbar icon, then select a Window, and hope you've got the right one. I have 7 VSCode windows open right now, and I often have more - I do not have the patience for an operating system which makes my day-to-day work slower to do because of some convoluted, forced design choice.

- Context menus hidden behind a sub menu. I'm used to right-clicking to access options with a single click. Sometimes, I just wanna create a folder, and I've got a context menu entry for that. Sometimes I wanna unzip a file with a third-party program, and I have a context entry for that. Putting it behind a sub-menu is just a downright stupid idea. It's not as bad as the taskbar issues, but holy shit it's annoying.

Other things that are annoying:

- The new start menu is as useless as I predicted it would be all those months ago. I have several programs that I use infrequently, but frequently enough that I want them pinned to the start menu. Particularly with programs which install a lot of start menu entries in their folders, being able to quickly start the program with 2 clicks is important.

- Removing task manager from the right-click menu of the taskbar. Since the taskbar is always visible, it doesn't make sense to remove the most common option for accessing it. I don't wanna have to ctrl + alt + delete, or search start menu, and sometimes I don't want to have to remember a keybind.

Windows 11 is NOT built for power users, not by any stretch of the imagination. They've added some prettiness but taken away substance. They've tried to be clever in the same way they were with Windows 8, and it's backfired horribly.

It took the community releasing the explorer patch (to get back the taskbar labels, ungrouping, and context menu), and programs like Start11, for Windows 11 to actually be usable. The explorer patch isn't perfect, as the taskbar and all Explorer windows crash a few times after a system restart. Hopefully that can be fixed in time, but I'd much prefer Microsoft fix their shitty design choices. Now I'm at a point where I have the convenience from W10 with the positive changes from W11.

After all this, I like the other parts of Windows 11. The new settings app is much more organised, and they actually made the networking section better than the steaming pile it was in W10. I've even managed to setup the Google Play store (via sideloading) which could use some improvements, but it's an unofficial mod so I can understand why it's not well supported. I do think the Android support will be great once it reaches general availability. The fact that they actually fixed the issue of window position being reset between sleep is fantastic. I switch 1 of my monitors off when I sleep because the blinking LED has some really annoying coil whine, so every time I went to use my system the next day, all my windows were grouped onto the main monitor.
    Last edited by C20; 2021-11-03 at 03:33 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, seriously considering on giving this a pass now. Was going to install W11 on the 8th Nov to line up with the releases of .NET6 and Visual Studio and a fresh start. Now I see no reason to except for curiosity. But what are you gonna do? Will Windows 12 be any better? There certainly won't be a Windows 13 because yeah, unlucky number and all that.

Preferred it when everyone had to buy the new OS off the shop shelf. Instead now it's more crap and change no one asked for layered on top of the old stuff with the canonical underlying OS never changing because otherwise too many things would break. Things are looking bright on the programming side though.
    Last edited by Twoddle; 2021-11-04 at 11:14 PM.

Eventually, but I'll wait a few months for any problems to get smoothed out.

Remember, fools rush in where angels fear to tread. ;-)