Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Would you pay for a wow battle pass content cycle

Sub price for 4 to 6 months is equivalent to the battle pass (it can be broken down into monthly access payments)

Gives access to the newest patch cycle content, expansions would no longer be core progression of the story.but standalone patches which act on azeroth / other worlds / planes we have already visited. So basically cataclysm treatment in 6 month cycles, which you pay to have access to. Access would include typical benefits of a subscription, but the f2p model would become less restricted for someone not wanting to do the most recent content, such as

New pvp season
    Newest raid
    Latest zones to be revisited in the patch cycle.

It wouldn't necessarily be a do away with expansion developments, but a time in wow where the story ping pongs around the map twice a year to round off edges that don't deserve an entire expansion to explain but still deserve growing before wows story develops deeper into cosmic forces

blizzard is struggling to make retail worth any subscription but you can bet your rear they will not quit on a 13/month until the playerbase is barely covering the costs.

What is the aim here though? Is there a problem this is trying to address? Does it add anything to the game? Maybe I'm missing something, but I honestly just don't get this at all.
    Last edited by arkanon; 2021-09-24 at 05:04 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    What is the aim here though? Is there a problem this is trying to address? Does it add anything to the game? Maybe I'm missing something, but I honestly just don't get this at all.
    Let's say you pay 30-40 bucks for a content DLC/pass that usually lasts between 4-6 months. People that are subbed anyway would save some money, while Blizzard would target the "tourists" more that usually just come back for a a month or 2.

That being said, psychology plays a big role here. For many letting a 15 bucks sub lapse despite not using it is easy to ignore, where people tend to be less generous with sums above 20 bucks. Ultimately it would be an uphill battle for Blizzard to change their business model, even if most people might benefit from it. Not to mention they would clearly lose out here right now, since the can't even do the quick patch release cycles of the past.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

No, the payment model is just fine for me.

Also, it doesn't really work in WoW, because a lot of the content you are regularly doing is not the new 'main' content of each patch (even though some people on the internet seem to believe so).

Don't fix what aint broke
    Armory Link
    Mount Collection

Everything wrong with gamers in one sentence:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavox View Post
    I want Activision-Blizzard to burn, but for crimes against gaming, not because they got me too'd.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Athorha View Post
    Sub price for 4 to 6 months is equivalent to the battle pass (it can be broken down into monthly access payments)

Gives access to the newest patch cycle content, expansions would no longer be core progression of the story.but standalone patches which act on azeroth / other worlds / planes we have already visited. So basically cataclysm treatment in 6 month cycles, which you pay to have access to. Access would include typical benefits of a subscription, but the f2p model would become less restricted for someone not wanting to do the most recent content, such as

New pvp season
    Newest raid
    Latest zones to be revisited in the patch cycle.

It wouldn't necessarily be a do away with expansion developments, but a time in wow where the story ping pongs around the map twice a year to round off edges that don't deserve an entire expansion to explain but still deserve growing before wows story develops deeper into cosmic forces
    Battle passes are a cancer among gaming and even entertaining the idea of one being good for the game only proves you have been brainwashed by these greedy corporations who are deliberately preying on their customers. Battle passes are literally FOMO incarnate. Why the fuck would you want that? To satiate your desire to feel special and included?

WAKE UP. Battle passes, seasonal gaming, etc etc are NOT BENEFICIAL IN ANY WAY TO ANY GAMER

WAKE. UP. Stop supporting these blatantly predatory monetary schemes and for the love of god stop asking for them for the hit of dopamine youve been conditioned to seek out. STOP
    Last edited by Ladey Gags; 2021-09-24 at 06:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladey Gags View Post
    Battle passes are a cancer among gaming and even entertaining the idea of one being good for the game only proves you have been brainwashed by these greedy corporations who are deliberately preying on their customers. Battle passes are literally FOMO incarnate. Why the fuck would you want that? To satiate your desire to feel special and included?

WAKE UP. Battle passes, seasonal gaming, etc etc are NOT BENEFICIAL IN ANY WAY TO ANY GAMER

WAKE. UP. Stop supporting these blatantly predatory monetary schemes and for the love of god stop asking for them due to your desire for the hit of dopamine they give. STOP
    Yeah, this. Worst is that younger gamers are already conditioned with "game as service" where the only benefit is in the corporate profit margins. The VIPs of said company then spend a lot of time in regular meetings deciding on how to invest minimal budget in content creation so it seems the asking price is justified.
    Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    Blizzard do what the players want all the time.

Stop supporting these blatantly predatory monetary schemes and for the love of god stop asking for them for the hit of dopamine youve been conditioned to seek out. STOP
    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpcat View Post
    Yeah, this. Worst is that younger gamers are already conditioned with "game as service"
    I'm incredibly happy to see people still fighting this good fight here. The genshin thread is filled with a bunch of people who are supportive of these types of systems.

"But it's a gacha! Of COURSE they're going to powercreep characters to constantly sell the newest best thing! What's wrong with that?"
    "You don't HAVE to pay $1000 to fully unlock a character if you don't want to. No one is forcing these people to whale, so it's perfectly ethical!"
    "FOMO is just a given in this game genre, don't like it? Don't play!"

The game is literally developed to use as many known tactics to psychologically exploit human weaknesses, habits, and tendencies, and that's just fine apparently.

It's fucking annoying to see people relegate themselves to their fate instead of reel against the poor practices.

I digress.

I think the success of the mobile and asian markets are going to make games trend away from "Hey! I'm a passionate game dev who just wants to make my idea a reality and managed to convince some room of suits to fund my shit" to "What is the absolute most money we can make for the least amount of effort? Passion? What's that. This is just my day job and I'm only doing it to get paid."

It's sad when art becomes less of a labor of love and turns into just plain labor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eh, the current monthly option feels fine enough for me. It's cheap.

Besides, I've never been a fan of DLC purchase needs, you buy the expansion and get the whole package, nothing about having to pick here and there, oh I can't experience the previous expansion fully because I can't afford to buy another DLC.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Eh, the current monthly option feels fine enough for me. It's cheap.

Besides, I've never been a fan of DLC purchase needs, you buy the expansion and get the whole package, nothing about having to pick here and there, oh I can't experience the previous expansion fully because I can't afford to buy another DLC.
    Exactly.
    I prefer the current method of bying an expansion and paying my sub.
    With seasonal passes I would expect these to be the only costs, so no sub and no additional costs for the new expansion (except if you want to buy a collector's edition of some kind).

Anyway, seasonal passes are usually a scam.

10+ Year Old Account
    No interest in this. Month-by-month is fine by me. I'm much more actively playing other games than in the past. I'm not sure that I understand what problem this is trying to solve.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

5+ Year Old Account
    No. Battle passes are a complete abomination when it comes to the customer, let that BS away from WoW. It already has enough issues of its own.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by BeepBoo View Post
    I'm incredibly happy to see people still fighting this good fight here. The genshin thread is filled with a bunch of people who are supportive of these types of systems.

"But it's a gacha! Of COURSE they're going to powercreep characters to constantly sell the newest best thing! What's wrong with that?"
    "You don't HAVE to pay $1000 to fully unlock a character if you don't want to. No one is forcing these people to whale, so it's perfectly ethical!"
    "FOMO is just a given in this game genre, don't like it? Don't play!"

The game is literally developed to use as many known tactics to psychologically exploit human weaknesses, habits, and tendencies, and that's just fine apparently.

It's fucking annoying to see people relegate themselves to their fate instead of reel against the poor practices.

I digress.

I think the success of the mobile and asian markets are going to make games trend away from "Hey! I'm a passionate game dev who just wants to make my idea a reality and managed to convince some room of suits to fund my shit" to "What is the absolute most money we can make for the least amount of effort? Passion? What's that. This is just my day job and I'm only doing it to get paid."

It's sad when art becomes less of a labor of love and turns into just plain labor.
    Bruh even though I play genshin every day since its release day, the people in that thread never cease to amaze me.
    Its as if slapping the "gacha" title suddenly absolves the game of all criticism regarding its monetization and suddenly makes it ok to charge fucking 300 euros for a single copy of a character who unlocks their full potential at like 2000+ euros.
    Gacha as a system is ok whatever, I m not the biggest fan of it there are plenty other reasons why I play that game but to charge soooooo much for such a worthless amount of pulls and miniscule rewards is absolutely insane.
    And yet people treat it as normal. And we re seeing this pour into every single game now. Perhaps to a lesser degree than gacha games but look at the prices of the average skin in a game nowdays, the amount of DLCs, battlepasses and all sorts of addons you can think of on top of the box price and often a subscription fee.

In conclusion.... hard pass on the battlepass. It is a system that makes you pay upfront and then forces you to play regularly to earn rewards. Meaning you have the possibility of paying lets say 20 euros and then you get an unexpected busy month at work and you re not able to play. Bam 20 euros down the drain.

Would you pay for a wow battle pass content cycle
    no
    /10characters

10+ Year Old Account
    no. but I would pay for a premium subscription.
    -quality customer service
    -no random automated permaban or silence following player reports
    -access to more BMAH items, potentially all removed items from wotlk
    -higher limits (no gold cap anywhere, no characters cap, no single battle pets cap)
    -etc

WAKE. UP. Stop supporting these blatantly predatory monetary schemes and for the love of god stop asking for them for the hit of dopamine youve been conditioned to seek out. STOP
    How about you stoip dictating to others how to spend their money and trying to dictate how games should be run. You re not the sole arbiter of how things should be run. Also, your opinions are not fact so stop presenting them, that way.

10+ Year Old Account
    If they did one like Call of Duty for 10 euros each 2 months i wouldnt be opposed to it.
    They would have to create a lot of transmog items and stuff like that to keep it interesting tho.
    And it would effectively cut the subscription price in half.
    ___________( •̪●) --(FOR THE ALLIANCE!)
    ░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▃
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
    I███████████████████].
    ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpcat View Post
    Yeah, this. Worst is that younger gamers are already conditioned with "game as service" where the only benefit is in the corporate profit margins. The VIPs of said company then spend a lot of time in regular meetings deciding on how to invest minimal budget in content creation so it seems the asking price is justified.
    too late bro, just look how dlcs came first and now they are part of gaming

I think it would work out to be cheaper wouldnt it?

Quote Originally Posted by Felis igneus View Post
    Let's say you pay 30-40 bucks for a content DLC/pass that usually lasts between 4-6 months. People that are subbed anyway would save some money, while Blizzard would target the "tourists" more that usually just come back for a a month or 2.

That being said, psychology plays a big role here. For many letting a 15 bucks sub lapse despite not using it is easy to ignore, where people tend to be less generous with sums above 20 bucks. Ultimately it would be an uphill battle for Blizzard to change their business model, even if most people might benefit from it. Not to mention they would clearly lose out here right now, since the can't even do the quick patch release cycles of the past.
    Hypothetically if blizz were going through a time period where dev capabilities weren't up to snuff, relative to their past productions, would you rather see rushed expansions which may or may not hit the mark?

Or would a [couple] battle pass which is just a 6 month period where devs can toggle some switches and monitor players response to different system changes (new quest area, seasonal mythic plus dungeons, pvp tuning) be an option, until blizz is able to finish a piece of content deserving of being called an entire expansion?

I think the story at this point is so artifical to reality that we sort of need a break for our own imaginative sake. I dont mind the progression as its been, but were just finishing up the underworld, whats next should be done perfectly and with how varied peoples understanding on shadowlands lore is i think escaping the current content cycle could offer blizz a chance to recuperate the overall direction with wow from the players end