Coming back ? How much involvement required ?

Hello,

I've left the game a few years ago, I've always been fond of PVP, just a " common " player, not a master of whatever. I've always enjoyed BGs.
    But I was wondering, as my involvement would be about 1 evening per week, no more, and I don't know how gear is taken into consideration novadays : would it be enough to " grind " average gear and be in the average wagon ?

By that I mean being able to counter gear, with maybe, a better skill ?

Have a good day

Quote Originally Posted by Strear View Post
    Hello,

I've left the game a few years ago, I've always been fond of PVP, just a " common " player, not a master of whatever. I've always enjoyed BGs.
    But I was wondering, as my involvement would be about 1 evening per week, no more, and I don't know how gear is taken into consideration novadays : would it be enough to " grind " average gear and be in the average wagon ?

Have a good day
    If you only want to PvP starting late means you wont have a fun time, if you stick with mostly PvE to gear up then switch over it might be ok but solely gearing PvP it wont matter if you are the best player in the world because you will be up against players who have been gearing up a long time.

In BGs you will probably constantly face against players in gear 30-50ilvls better than what you get even get, you need to get high rating to gear up properly in PvP or you will get stuck with very low ilvl.
    Last edited by kenn9530; 2021-09-16 at 03:20 PM.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

Unranked conquest gear is 233, while highest conquest gear is at 259. Honor starts at 190 and ends at 229.
    If you grinded up honor gear to maxed out + some arenapoint items you will be +-30 ilvl behind top geared people. They will in almost any case just slap you in fair 1v1's.
    In addition to the fact that people with this gear most likely are more skilled, as they play more and know more stuff (like different classes than just their own, which is pretty much required to be able to reach the highest ranking)
    Last edited by Bloodyleech; 2021-09-16 at 03:29 PM.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Random bg's have really turned into a slap the lower ilvl people fest. Nothing casual about honor gear vs the upgraded conquest peeps, as the 20-40 ilvl difference makes it very difficult for the low ilvl toon to be effective. Bring the player is no longer the case in randoms, it's all about the ilvl.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries.

With one evening per week, given it’s not a 48 hours evening, I would encourage you to pass.

Apart from the gear, you have also to take into consideration the queues for bg that can be quite huge if you are not an healer.

Not to hijack this thread or anything but can you still get PvP gear from PvE? Like how well does say LFR - heroic raid gear match up with high end PvP gear?

Thanks for the information !
    I think I'll pass then

Hello,

Have a good day
    If you solely want to gear up via pvp, I would say dont do it. Its such a long grind for a casual pvper, it aint worth it. Even when you reach max honor gear, you are still far behind.

I think I'll pass then
    If you just casual PVP in BGs you should know that it doesnt really matter. You are starting close to 1 year later but the power levels from gear that you get in HOURS after max level are not that insane.

You wont beat gladiators in duels with 356/7/24 practice and the best gear in the game, that wont happen and rarely did in the past (balancing is sometimes stupid, LEGION tank DHs in PVP could pretty much copete in green/blues against fully geared people)

WoW was never a skill based game and gear impact and class balance is the biggest deciding factor in PvP since 16+ years.

Why dont you give it a try, if you just play some random zerg fest BGs, it hardly matters.
    -

Good thing is that they boosted CP gain in all content by 70% this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Amarys View Post
    Not to hijack this thread or anything but can you still get PvP gear from PvE? Like how well does say LFR - heroic raid gear match up with high end PvP gear?
    Heroic Gear is good enough I guess. It's comparable to Combatant(1400) gear(239ilvl in PvP)... as long as you get the desired stats of course.
    Last edited by Eazy; 2021-09-29 at 01:23 PM.

I think I'll pass then
    Definite pass man. Not only is honor gear terrible, and the starting conq ilvl is too low, but you'd be missing Conduits/Legendaries/Soulbinds which are more important than gear tbh. You wont have any fun, sorry to say, and 1 day a week is not nearly enough time to make progress.

Herald of the Titans Dristereau's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have to agree that if you were just playing one night a week you probably wouldn't be doing anything PVP wise for quite a while. Getting Renown, Conduits and other things takes time on top of Battlegrounds for Honor, then Arena for Conquest and more Battlegrounds for Honor to upgrade Conquest gear. I can't really describe 'skill' in Shadowlands, as if you're undergeared you will just get slaughtered with very little ability to respond. I also forgot to mention the need to run Torghast for Soul Ash/Cinders to make a Legendary, and do certain content to unlock said Recipe in the first place.

I've hit 60 on my Ret Tuesday, have been doing Korthia, a few Brawls and so on. I have 40k Hp and running into Random BGs and getting casually hit for 15k, I usually have to Bubble/LoH/BoP almost instantly. Also depending on your luck/faction winning Battlegrounds for Honor and a bit of Conquest can be hell, my Paladin went on a 9 loss streak before winning it's first BG at 60 (took two sessions). I have about 5k Honor now, but I've also benefitted from sending my Character a few pieces from my other Characters.

Paladin Armory: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-gb/ch...g/illumination (199 ilvl, 64 Renown - 11 Hours played at 60)
    Last edited by Dristereau; 2021-11-12 at 03:24 AM.
    Dristereau - Axxolentus - Infernus - Sequentia - Nulo - Desterrar

Silvermoon
    - Shadowsong/Aszune - Tarren-Mill/Dentarg (SL Mage Tower: 29/36
    )

I started out with last seasons iLvl 215 gear, so not entirely fresh. That being said, skipping the first couple months of 9.1 felt like going in fresh faced anyway.

You can reach an acceptable iLvl somewhat quickly by doing Korthia stuff. 200 to 210 ilvl, easily. That should already secure you a foothold in your gamemode of choice.
    I jumped straight into 2s. Perhaps its luck but the gear was enough to blast through the lower brackets. They're not as polluted with boosting services as in S1, IMO.

Entirely kitting out my char with conq gear will take some more time but hey, I'm having fun already.

dont bother coming back pvp is shit

I'll offer a counter to all the others in here, now is a great time to start, you don't need to bother with any of the systems, you get all that stuff automatically as you pvp. Of course you won't have gladiator gear in 1 evening, but honor gain is quite crazy right now so it will be quick to get your first pieces of gear.
    If you don't like gear doing anything in PvP wow will never be the game for you, not now, not 10 years ago, not in 10 years.

The best way to PVP casually IMO currently in the game is to just start fresh. The leveling is fast, you can try a bunch of different classes/specs and there aren't the gear issues. I'm not sure if you have the leveling bind on account gear, that is kind of required. This is basically how I play WoW now (here and there). 3 day Christmas weekend, no real plans, I'll probably activate my account, find a couple specs I want to try and level them up mainly through PVP and have a blast.

Some classes/specs don't get major important abilities until level 10-30s so Ill just grind dungeons until I see the milestones I want to reach before I start Pvping. It is a blast!

Hope that helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Sialina View Post
    I'll offer a counter to all the others in here, now is a great time to start, you don't need to bother with any of the systems, you get all that stuff automatically as you pvp. Of course you won't have gladiator gear in 1 evening, but honor gain is quite crazy right now so it will be quick to get your first pieces of gear.
    If you don't like gear doing anything in PvP wow will never be the game for you, not now, not 10 years ago, not in 10 years.
    Wait, sorry... I hate quoting people but this is just VERY misleading. Just to point out what the OP said: "about 1 evening per week" and "left the game a few years ago".

The initial renown farm, going through the tedious campaign, grinding gold and in some cases having to farm certain dungeons for RNG legendary drops, choreghast. If we put this aside, as he's not played this expansion before, even after all this he will be no where near able to enjoy any form of PvP.

It takes DAYS to farm honor for a basic set, then he has to look for groups in LFG to actually upgrade any of the few conquest pieces that he might have. All this happens while he is being STOMPED by people with gear. There is absolutely NOTHING that is fun in the whole process of a new person attempting to PvP in this game if they've missed the start of the expansion.

If anything I can bet that he will not be anywhere near a full basic conquest set, 235 legendary, 40+ renown by the time this expansion ends if the current gearing stays the same even if he had 2 evenings a week to play.

The current state of PvP for new players has the worst barrier to entry. It is super casual unfriendly. It promotes boosting. Incentivises boring grinds.

There is nothing for you to come back to right now Strear. Stay away.
    Man often meets his destiny, on the path he takes to avoid it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bats View Post
    Wait, sorry... I hate quoting people but this is just VERY misleading. Just to point out what the OP said: "about 1 evening per week" and "left the game a few years ago".

The initial renown farm, going through the tedious campaign, grinding gold and in some cases having to farm certain dungeons for RNG legendary drops, choreghast. If we put this aside, as he's not played this expansion before, even after all this he will be no where near able to enjoy any form of PvP.

It takes DAYS to farm honor for a basic set, then he has to look for groups in LFG to actually upgrade any of the few conquest pieces that he might have. All this happens while he is being STOMPED by people with gear. There is absolutely NOTHING that is fun in the whole process of a new person attempting to PvP in this game if they've missed the start of the expansion.

If anything I can bet that he will not be anywhere near a full basic conquest set, 235 legendary, 40+ renown by the time this expansion ends if the current gearing stays the same even if he had 2 evenings a week to play.

The current state of PvP for new players has the worst barrier to entry. It is super casual unfriendly. It promotes boosting. Incentivises boring grinds.

There is no game on earth with multiplayer which will let you be fully competitive with 1 day per week. What is wrong with making progress farming honor gear over some weeks for the OP? Or do you think he is going to start his glad run with 1 day/week playtime? Why would you even play 1 day/week only to never improve, do you think OP wants to just hit max power straight away and.., then what? Play some random BGs?
    If you enjoy MMOs you usually enjoy making progress on your character, you can do that perfectly well in SL, in fact the 40% extra honor makes it quite possible to get a major piece or 2 minor ones every sitting.
    If you enjoy playing competitive games I suggest never ever playing any type of RPG, you would be much better off playing shooters, hero shooters, MOBAs or any other type of sports game.

Quote Originally Posted by Bats View Post

Hot damn there's a lot of wrong things in this post. Ironic for someone who brings up things being misleading.

What renown farm? Even without threads of fate you fly through renown like crazy, since lower renown gives multiple points per completion. Callings, campaign etc all give 2-3 up to about 50. Campaign takes less than 3 hours to complete on a fresh level capped char. Callings/weeklies along the way is easily 60+
    Grinding gold? For what purpose? Callings/mission table/dailies gets you all the gold you need.
    No such thing as RNG legendary drops, they were made guaranteed at any difficulty literally months ago.
    Hurr durr choreghast. You can do it for an hour and then never look at it again.
    "Days to farm" yeah welcome to every MMO in existence buddy. They just sped up honor gains quite heavily, as well.

"worst barrier to entry for new players" - what a joke of a statement. Will it require grinding? Absolutely, and so will any other MMO on the market. Is it this terrible, impassable barrier? Absolutely not. An upgraded set of pvp gear can easily get you 17-1800, which is high enough to start upgrading it even further. Do some yolo RBGs and that cuts down the time requirement significantly.

It's pretty obvious you hate the game. Not sure why so many people on MMO-C feel the need to force others to try and hate it as well. Just get off the forums.
    If I don't respond to something you tagged me in, assume one of two things.
    1) Your post was too stupid to acknowledge, or
    2) Your post is cringe and not worth replying to.

Alternatively, if it happens a lot I probably have you blocked due to one of the above things. Thank you.

Both of you keep missing the main point. He is new, he won't just log in and know what to do like you and I, he's got 1 evening a week.

I'd reply more in depth but... you're obviously in denial or just don't understand what a new player has to face now compared to past expansions. Especially if he wants to have a decent PvP experience.

Just look on any forum, youtube, twitch. People aren't just complaining and asking for changes because they don't have anything better to do.

I'll repeat again, don't bother with PvP in your situation OP, you will not have a good experience.
    Man often meets his destiny, on the path he takes to avoid it.