10+ Year Old Account

Fantasy/Sci-Fi Tropes You Like and Ones You Hate!

What are some common Fantasy Tropes you love and hate? If its in video games, books, movies or any other media. They must be tropes. I am sure you can find more.

Chosen One - For me it's an unpopular one and its the Chosen One trope. Personally I don't think anyone likes this trope yet here I am I actually like it, I don't hate it. I think when its done well it's very interesting. It totally depends on the writer behind the trope too.#

The Pseudo-European/Medieval Setting - Its becoming quite a topic of discussion recently that people are getting sick of the typical fantasy in a medieval-like setting. Personally I will always like it no matter how over used it is.

The Powerful Item - Like the whole One Ring in LotR I love. I love that whole we need said item to achieve said goal. Love that sort of thing except is some writer comes along and makes a whole movie based on said thing and then by the end the item was useless making the whole thing pointless.

Hate

He/She Turns Out To Be Royalty - Sometimes its done well but other times I just roll my eyes, even when its doe well its like 'ugh' okay.

Love Triangles - I fucking hate love triangles never never do love triangles. The pad out the whole book/movie/show Its needless padding, it distracts and not in a good way.

Black and White Morality - Once again not bad, its just done so much that I have kind of seen it. Give me more shades of grey in motives of good and evil. a lot of the time it just seems like lazy writing.
    Last edited by Orby; 2021-10-14 at 10:20 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

5+ Year Old Account
    I liked 'the chosen one' when I was a kid, now I can't stand it..

10+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    I liked 'the chosen one' when I was a kid, now I can't stand it..
    The problem is that the Chosen One narrative can be done terribly wrong when handled improperly.

Dislike: All alien life is seeded by a creator or progenitor species. It is boring, it simplifies why characters can ... you know.

Like: Evil Empires ... just because they can be done in so many ways that I find fun.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code