Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by minkage View Post
    Instead of making an adaption fans of the actual material would want they got one of the hottest new actors and tailored the movie to suit him. Its typical suits making shit decisions and it would not suprise me in the slightest if this bombs.
    I think it's probably simply a decision to make a whole Uncharted universe with multiple movies. Starting when Nathan Drake is a middle-aged dude leaves tons of potential story on the table, unused.

10+ Year Old Account
    Who asked for this?

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Ever hear of a prequel?
    prequel... that has Chloe in it at, appearing to be the same age she is in main games... judging by the few scenes she is in, they drew at least some inspiration from the comic book they had with her.... that happens to chronologically happen RIGHT before the events of the first game.. including Nate watching Elena's show on TV (in the comic in question https://comicvine.gamespot.com/uncharted/4050-44252/ .

and then there is this very iconic plane crash from Uncharted 3, weird Uncharted 4 but not really maybe Uncharted comic, but not really either auction and lets not even mention the fact that they completely retconned Sully's and Nate's meeting.....

this movie is no prequel. its their "reimagining" at best.

and honestly... I hate the casting. Holland COULD pull of maybe youngish Drake... the "this is where we met Rafe and Sam "died" Drake at the most. but marky mark is one of the worse castings for Sully that they could come up with. Chloe casting is... potentially promising, but given the trailer I expect that they will butcher her character as well.

blah. I didn't expect them to just remake the games shot for shot. that would honestly be boring. but I WAS hoping that they would at least attempt to make it into a genuine tie in ala Assasin's creed movie (yes, it wasn't good, but at least it tried to fit into the world of the games and as a result IS canon within the world of the games, last I checked)

there was so much they could have done. there are gaps between games, both when it comes to flashbacks of when they were younger and in between main games. but nope... they are just mish mashing in and think that by adding a few iconic scenes from the games, its going to make up for what honestly appears to be the most generic of generic hollywood adventure movies (and before anyone says anything about games being basically that, yes, their plots, what made those games were the CHARACTERS and their interactions with each other. which from the trailer at least they didn't even attempt to stick to in the movie)

Quote Originally Posted by Zelk View Post
    Who asked for this?
    its called culture buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    @Witchblade77 it’s their first treasure hunt. Are you saying Uncharted 1 was their first? Or does that qualify as a prequel?
    I'm saying it contradicts the games (and the tie in canon comic linked in my post) directly, multiple times. I'm saying that we see their actual first meeting in Uncharted 3 looks nothing like what they are showing in the trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYWa2jNOSuI , I'm saying that plane crash happens in Uncharted 3 and NOT in a flashback. we do not know what their first treasure hunt was. we DO know how these characters first met though and how.

this doesn't qualify is proper prequel because it not only contradicts established canon, but it also uses events from later games within its story. and oh hey, someone even did the side by side comparison of the plane crash in particular https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n02C8cK2TuI

and while their villain is not Rafe (according to IMDB), and his henchwoman is not Nadine Ross (according to IMDB)... there are still very obvious visual parallels with Uncharted 4 because... reasons?

edited to add, because this is bugging me. we get to see Sully in games all the way back to when he was still a young suave ladies man and all the way into being an old, tired but still ride or die man. we know what he acts like, what kind of person he is. across 4 games, we got to see what Nate acts like... as a child in an orphanage, as a teenager in Cartahena, as young adult in Panama, pulling scams inside prison with his brother and Rafe, as an adult who matures through the years of adventuring, as a father.

neither of them feel even remotely close to the game characters at ANY point in that trailer. Marky Mark even less so then Tom.
    Last edited by Witchblade77; 2021-10-29 at 01:12 AM.

Holland seems like a decent enough choice for young Nate. But Wahlberg is just terrible casting for Sully. He acts nothing like Sully, imo. I think Wahlberg is just a terrible actor. Also he doesn't have Sully's mustache or clothes, which just instantly kills it for me. I think it could have been good if they had someone else besides him with Holland. It would have been worse had they gone with him as Nate like they originally planned. Imagine that travesty.

Sully's actor, as they're being held at gunpoint by main bad guy - "Nate did you just give them all the clues on how to find the treasure?"

Marky Mark in The Happening - "What!? Noooooo."

So who's checking this film out this weekend. I'll be going on Saturday for my birthday.

It's gotten pretty mixed reviews so far, currently sitting at 40% on rotten tomatoes but let's be honest this was never going to get a lot of praise from the critics, we'll see what audience reactions are but I imagine it will be a decent popcorn flick.

I'm not paying money to see it, or rather I'm not paying any money to see it specifically, once/if it shows up on one of the streaming services I already pay for anyway, I might give it a watch.

but.

having read the spoilers AND having seen reviews from the fans of the games that I personaly know? meh. I'd rather replay the games.

I saw the trailer and Tom Holland does not strike me as the right cast for this.

In my opinion, the Nathan Fillion fan film nailed the atmosphere of the games and characters far better.

Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

Quote Originally Posted by Unlimited Power View Post
    I saw the trailer and Tom Holland does not strike me as the right cast for this.

In my opinion, the Nathan Fillion fan film nailed the atmosphere of the games and characters far better.

I agree that Tom and Mark were definitely miscast but as long as they are good characters I can tolerate them being different from the games. I believe the movie is supposed to be its own continuity anyways so I can handle it being a little different.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by antily View Post
    Holland seems like a decent enough choice for young Nate. But Wahlberg is just terrible casting for Sully. He acts nothing like Sully, imo. I think Wahlberg is just a terrible actor. Also he doesn't have Sully's mustache or clothes, which just instantly kills it for me. I think it could have been good if they had someone else besides him with Holland. It would have been worse had they gone with him as Nate like they originally planned. Imagine that travesty.

Sully's actor, as they're being held at gunpoint by main bad guy - "Nate did you just give them all the clues on how to find the treasure?"

Marky Mark in The Happening - "What!? Noooooo."
    HAHA! I thought I was the last person in the world who still remembers, and refers, to him as "Marky Mark" =D

Sorry, Mr. Wahlberg - some of us will never be able to get that song/video of you out of their heads as the prime and original reference for who you are.
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    I agree that Tom and Mark were definitely miscast but as long as they are good characters I can tolerate them being different from the games. I believe the movie is supposed to be its own continuity anyways so I can handle it being a little different.
    what annoyed me is that in the interviews, director was all "we want to fill in the blanks between the games"

but what they actualy meant is "yeah we are going to rewrite half the stuff you saw in games, and mix and match a bunch of other stuff from like 20 years of continuity into a single treasure hunt, copy but not quite stuff from uncharted 4 and add a gratuitous Nolan North cameo in hopes that fans will be too happy with it to notice all the other messes we have created"

so... meh. it very much IS its own continuity to the point where its almost Uncharted in a name only.

P.S. the moment Marky Mark was cast, I knew that best case scenario the movie would be... ok. bad vibrations only.
    Last edited by Witchblade77; 2022-02-18 at 01:05 AM.

Just got back from the theatre and honestly, it was pretty good. Not groundbreaking cinema but I think it does a good job keeping to the spirit of the games.

Tom Holland is great as Drake, he's not Nolan North but he definitely nails the character of Nathan Drake really well. Mark Wahlberg is fine, he's at his best by the end but due to the nature of Sullie's character arc, it kind of takes a while before he starts acting like the Sully from the games.

Overall I enjoyed it and I hope the movie does well because I would totally be interested in seeing what they do in a sequel.

Would also totally be ok if they snuck in more Nolan North cameos in any future films.

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    So who's checking this film out this weekend. I'll be going on Saturday for my birthday.

It's gotten pretty mixed reviews so far, currently sitting at 40% on rotten tomatoes but let's be honest this was never going to get a lot of praise from the critics, we'll see what audience reactions are but I imagine it will be a decent popcorn flick.
    Saw the movie on Thursday night. It was OK, but not something to write home about. Rotten Tomatoes has it right with the 40%. Tom Holland's character should have been named Peter Parkour and Mark Wahlberg was acting like himself instead of a character. The script could have been better, and the directing and editing left much to be desired.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

It was a good movie. I think Mark Walhberg was the wrong casting choice for Sully because he really has a single character that he can play, and I wished someone more serious and calm played Sully. Tom was okay as Nathan, but it kinda shone through to me that he was mainly picked for the role for his star power.

Some of the set pieces looked a bit cheap, especially all the locks and mechanisms that were supposed to be centuries old and made of stone, but that jiggled around like Styrofoam.

Action was nice, but I would have wished Drake to use more guns. Him getting the shoulder holsters at the end made me giggle audibly in the theater because at that point he finally actually looked like the Drake I had wanted to see on the big screen.

The highlight of the movie for me was definitely Nolan North's cameo lol. It made me super happy that he was in the movie after personifying the character for years and years.

7/10. Worth the watch, but leave your expectations for 1:1 adaptation at the door.