15+ Year Old Account

Apple MacBook Air - simple question

Hey,

Got a simple question. As I use quite a lot of Apple devices, I'm considering getting a MacBook Air in the near future. However one of the stores here note the year model as 2020, as seen in the below image:

When I go to Apple's official website, their cheapest MacBook Air is €1129, but it (from what I can tell at least) has the exact same specs as the one shown above. I was under the impression that the one on the Apple website was the 2021 model, but googling I can't seem to find a comparison between the MacBook Air 2020 and 2021 models.

So, is the one on the Apple website the 2020 model? Are the 2021 models even out yet? I'm rather confused (mainly because stores here sell Apple products practically always at the same price as Apple themselves do, so I don't get why the one on apple.com is €30 more expensive).
    Last edited by Nerph-; 2021-11-29 at 06:54 AM.

There is no MacBook Air 2021. 2020 M1 is the most recent MacBook Air.

There are MacBook Pro 2021, but those are 3x more expensive and much more powerful.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo03 View Post
    There is no MacBook Air 2021. 2020 M1 is the most recent MacBook Air.

There are MacBook Pro 2021, but those are 3x more expensive and much more powerful.
    Ah, I see. Problem solved, thank you!

Congratulations on your purchase))) Apple technology is style and reliability))) Quality investment and your comfort))

10+ Year Old Account
    Just to be clear, in case you look at other sites.

There are TWO '2020' models.

The "Early 2020" model still uses an intel chip
    The "Late 2020" model uses the M1 chip
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Just to be clear, in case you look at other sites.

There are TWO '2020' models.

The "Early 2020" model still uses an intel chip
    The "Late 2020" model uses the M1 chip
    Yeah I'd be getting one with a M1 chip.

The M1 model is the actual MBA, don’t worry.

On a side note, I don’t know where your budget lies and what you’ll use the MBA for, but imho the base model’s specs are a little too low level. If you plan to keep it at least 5 years (hardly a problem since it’s a Mac) you may consider taking the 16GB RAM version plus/or the 512SSD version.

Bought one with 16/512 one month ago for my son that does graphics school, nice laptop but it costed 1700 euros or so.

15+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't be using it for anything too intensive. I'd been looking at different versions of the MBA, and also possibly the MBP but frankly, it would just be for casual day to day use so I felt the MBP was definitely not needed. As for more RAM and SSD space, not sure I'd need it.

The only "intensive" stuff I'd be doing on it is running IntelliJ IDEA or VS Code for programming, otherwise it would just be browsing and stuff.

People might wonder why I'm getting an MBA instead of a cheaper Windows laptop, and my reasons are:

1) Currently studying CyberSec and while I'm pretty well versed with Windows, somewhat with Linux, I'd like to get to know macOS as well.
    2) I use multiple Apple devices and being able to use a MacBook instead of iTunes on Windows (urgh) would be nice.
    3) Current laptop has been giving me issues as of late.
    4) Travel. Current laptop is 15.6" and while that isn't that big, it's pretty heavy. A 13.3" lightweight laptop would be more convenient.