5+ Year Old Account

Post [Movie] Alejandro Jodorowsky's The Incal

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt15843316/

Taika Waititi Directing Movie Adaptation of ‘The Incal’ Graphic Novel

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/t...us-1235104763/
    By Brent Lang - Nov 4, 2021 6:19am PT

The big screen version of the beloved comic book creation of Alejandro Jodorowsky and Moebius will boast a script from the “Thor: Ragnarok” director and writer, who will collaborate with Jemaine Clement and Peter Warren. Clement and Waititi previously teamed on “What We Do in the Shadows” and “Flight of the Conchords.”

The project is the first foray into film for publisher Humanoids.

“The films and graphic novels of Alejandro Jodorowsky have influenced me and so many others for so long. I was stunned to be given the opportunity to bring his iconic characters to life,” said Waititi.

Created by filmmaker and writer Jodorowsky and French artist Moebius at the end of the ’70s, “The Incal” has a devoted readership, having become the highest-selling science fiction graphic novel in history. The graphic novel is the foundation of the “Jodoverse,” which encompasses best-selling comic book series such as “The Metabarons” and “Megalex.”

It centers on a private investigator John Difool, who happens upon a mystical artifact known as the Incal, an object of great power coveted by many factions across the galaxy. As Difool learns of the Incal’s powers and purpose, he teams with a ragtag crew on a mission to save the universe.

“It began as the adventures of a jackass named John Difool, and then it became something else — we called it ‘The Incal’ — something that has transformed everything it’s ever touched and continues to do so: its creators, the other artists who later became a part of John’s journey, its publisher Humanoids and myself in the process, countless readers, writers and directors around the world, and soon, I believe, the great Taika Waititi himself and everyone who looks to him for inspiration,” said Humanoids CEO Fabrice Giger.

Jodorowsky said that Giger introduced him to Waititi’s work, which convinced him that he’d found the right filmmaker. “I fully trust Taika’s creativity to give ‘The Incal’ a stunning take, intimate and at the same time of cosmic proportions,” he said.

Humanoids is producing with Primer Entertainment, a company led by David Jourdan that acquired a stake in the publishing house in 2019.

Waititi won an Oscar for his screenplay for “JoJo Rabbit” and also directed “Hunt for the Wilderpeople.” He is represented by CAA and Manage-ment.

I have the book, but the small version and I have not been able to get through it...Moebius' drawings are too detailed for such a small size, makes my eyes bleed..hopefully this movie leads to a re-print of the "over-sized" (right version...)

Heard about that a couple days ago. Pretty exciting news, but I wonder how they'll render the somewhat psychedelic mix of trash and grandeur that permeates the Jodoverse.

Big questions I have :
    - who to play the Meta-Baron?
    - will it be marketed in China?

Fun fact : l'Incal has roots in Jodorowski's failed cinematographic adaptation of Dune, so do not be surprised at some similarities.
    Last edited by Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang; 2021-11-06 at 01:02 PM.
    "It is every citizen's final duty to go into the tanks, and become one with all the people."

~ Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang, "Ethics for Tomorrow"

5+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang View Post
    - will it be marketed in China?
    What this mean??

There's going to be so many people who misread this film's title as "The Incel"

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post

- - - Updated - - -

What this mean??
    Meaning they might have to tweak quite a number of elements to be able to pass Chinese censorship, if the aim is for a release on the Chinese market. Out of my head most of the under the belt content and perhaps the depiction of the dystopian Well-City, with its massive surveillance apparatus among other niceties.
    "It is every citizen's final duty to go into the tanks, and become one with all the people."

~ Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang, "Ethics for Tomorrow"

Butbutbutbut Luc Besson already made the Incal over 20 years ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang View Post
    Meaning they might have to tweak quite a number of elements to be able to pass Chinese censorship, if the aim is for a release on the Chinese market. Out of my head most of the under the belt content and perhaps the depiction of the dystopian Well-City, with its massive surveillance apparatus among other niceties.
    With how capricious and increasingly stringent the chinese government is about which films they release, when, and how much of a cut of the profits they get, studios would do well to pivot their budgetary expectations and assume a non-existent Chinese release, or at least a heavily delayed one, seeing as any film with a moral message beyond "animated kids film" or "giant CGI brouhaha where giant monkey punches giant lizard" will probably run afoul of the Chinese censors.

At any rate, Waititi is a pretty sharp cookie, and he's proved he can adapt things before with films like Jojo rabbit and Thor: Ragnarok.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Let's hope this doesn't end up like the Valérian adaptation, which is a bit of a similar kind of European SF comic... But I guess what kind of makes me hopeful is that I could totally see Taika Waititi's style be a good fit for this.