Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[Netflix] Blue Eye Samurai

One of the best new shows i've seen

100% on rotten tomatoes and 96% user score
    8.8 on IMDB

The main story can be considered bland (another revenge story) but has a 10/10 presentation with grown themes and characters full of life.
    Nudity warning

8 episodes

First Episode is also free on YT:

I did the entire thing in 1 sitting last week.

Highly recommend, the presentation is fantastic. Wasn't expecting it to be entirely in English so that was a pleasant surprise

Quote Originally Posted by Nasuuna View Post
    I did the entire thing in 1 sitting last week.

Highly recommend, the presentation is fantastic. Wasn't expecting it to be entirely in English so that was a pleasant surprise
    I did it in 2 sittings and got sad when it ended wanted more

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty good show. The action violence was very well done. Whenever there was a cartoon dong, South Park's "A Chorus of Wieners" played in my head.
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

10+ Year Old Account
    My favorite show of the year. Simple story, great storytelling. I didn't care for the ending but whatever, endings usually suck anyway.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

7+ Year Old Account
    Show seems pretty good, some cringe stuff aside, but sadly, i just could not pass the animation style, not for me.

I usually dislike this "new era" of animation, i saw some stuff from amazon and netflix that look like it was from the same show.

I generally dislike anime (using the term as a layman, not a neckbearded ACKCHYUALLY weeaboo), finding most of it pretentious at best or completely cringy at worst, but my daughter's a fan. She insisted I give this one a try, and I found myself enjoying it quite a bit. It's clearly inspired by/a homage to (I'm not sure which just yet) a metric ton of other shows and movies, but it's clear the creators and writers love the genre and are trying to tell a good story.

The animation itself is quite nice, though I still dislike the anime art style (for lack of a better descriptor) in general.

While I'm only one episode in, I can tell Stumpy (I didn't catch his real name) is going to be a personal favorite. I loved the way the main character kept trying to get him off her hands. Not only did it show she's a genuinely good and compassionate person. Even if she demonstrates it in a peculiar fashion. Oh, and I really liked her Sword-Father as well, especially their first interactions together.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksteady 87 View Post
    I generally dislike anime (using the term as a layman, not a neckbearded ACKCHYUALLY weeaboo), finding most of it pretentious at best or completely cringy at worst, but my daughter's a fan. She insisted I give this one a try, and I found myself enjoying it quite a bit. It's clearly inspired by/a homage to (I'm not sure which just yet) a metric ton of other shows and movies, but it's clear the creators and writers love the genre and are trying to tell a good story.

The animation itself is quite nice, though I still dislike the anime art style (for lack of a better descriptor) in general.

While I'm only one episode in, I can tell Stumpy (I didn't catch his real name) is going to be a personal favorite. I loved the way the main character kept trying to get him off her hands. Not only did it show she's a genuinely good and compassionate person. Even if she demonstrates it in a peculiar fashion. Oh, and I really liked her Sword-Father as well, especially their first interactions together.
    You can start some good fights by calling it an anime.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    You can start some good fights by calling it an anime.
    See the first line of my post. And I really couldn't care less regardless.

Watched Omnimusha instead of this...

Just want to point out how quickly threads about good shows, that are well done and that people like, quickly fall off and have no real discussion.

Which of course, tells you all you need to know about shows with threads dozens of pages long.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumble View Post
    Just want to point out how quickly threads about good shows, that are well done and that people like, quickly fall off and have no real discussion.

Which of course, tells you all you need to know about shows with threads dozens of pages long.
    Not all that surprising, really.

"This is great!"
    "Yeah."
    "Yup."
    "So... uh..."
    "Right."

That's the end of that, everyone agrees, everyone goes and does something else. Whereas of course with bad shows there's a thousand things you can talk about that you find objectionable, and then people will defend it, and so on and so forth for dozens and dozens of pages.

It's one of the reasons I like to assign my students bad books/films - it's so much more to talk about.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Not all that surprising, really.

"This is great!"
    "Yeah."
    "Yup."
    "So... uh..."
    "Right."

That's the end of that, everyone agrees, everyone goes and does something else. Whereas of course with bad shows there's a thousand things you can talk about that you find objectionable, and then people will defend it, and so on and so forth for dozens and dozens of pages.

It's one of the reasons I like to assign my students bad books/films - it's so much more to talk about.
    Funny that only 3-4 people are the ones who defend the bad movies/shows...

Its almost like there is something more than that... Cause even i criticized the animation style on this one, and people didn't bitch about it like they would do in other threads

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    Funny that only 3-4 people are the ones who defend the bad movies/shows...

Its almost like there is something more than that... Cause even i criticized the animation style on this one, and people didn't bitch about it like they would do in other threads
    Cause you didn't complain about the animation, you said it wasn't for you. What's the defense of that "Yes it is!"?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    Cause you didn't complain about the animation, you said it wasn't for you. What's the defense of that "Yes it is!"?
    usually is stuff like that yes

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    Ok, let's start the bickering!

First, i really enjoyed it. Most episodes ended in cliffhangers, be it fight ones or story related ones and made you want to watch the next.
    Then, the whole historic premise and era is, imho, quite unknown and, thus, interesting for Western audiences.
    Many facets of "modern" storytelling (racism, corrupt government/officials, position of women in society etc) and all stemming organically, with no need of insertion just because.
    Animated style allows for better choreographed fights.

However, some of those fights were the problem for me. For a property that doesn't have magic in it, the hero did some very extraordinary things that sometimes pulled me out of suspension of disbielief. Mostly, being injured with bleeding or shattering wounds at start of fights and then ending up victorious after prolonged sequences of combat, amount of enemies miraculously disappearing some frames later (the incident being trapped under the door, as an example) or not attacking when they could etc.

I understand that stuff is kinda expected on the medium and the genre, but i think those moments were too obvious and too noticable to be ignored.

The story, characters and animation were top notch though. Highly recommend it.
    /spit@Blizzard

2 episodes I'm and really liking it so far. Only thing I don't like is the nudity. I felt the same way in Game of Thrones but does anyone ever enjoy looking at a penis, animated or otherwise? Because I could certainly do without.

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    2 episodes I'm and really liking it so far. Only thing I don't like is the nudity. I felt the same way in Game of Thrones but does anyone ever enjoy looking at a penis, animated or otherwise? Because I could certainly do without.
    It's not there for shock value. It's just showing stuff as it happened. Nudity exists, you know.
    /spit@Blizzard

10+ Year Old Account
    Like alot of these shows. I feel its starts and ends well, but gets really slow in the middle. I think maybe thats the nature of TV shows like this. Still an awesome show though, for me its a 9/10 show. But I just noticed a lot of shows have a very plodding middle :P

The show is amazing though, I wish I started watching when everyone else did but as usual I waited a while because I thought I wasnt going to like it. But I love dit.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumble View Post

Its why rage bait youtube videos are so popular. People love to be angry about shit. and then people love being outraged about people being outraged and it generates this toxic back and forth and its ugly. social media enforces it too, I generally think a lot of companies use this as marketing too.
    Last edited by Orby; 2024-01-01 at 01:31 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance