Page 1 of 2
LastLast

is there a site like icy veins?

I just started playing this game, great game I like it so far!, but is there a site like icy-veins or even wowhead type for ffx14? I'd like to know more about the jobs/dungeons and other end game content(at some point, im only lvl 16 gladiator). Thanks!

Hey!

For class/job information currently there is The Balance discord:

https://discord.gg/thebalanceffxiv

There is likely a lot of other info on there too.

For other info the following websites are good and similar to wowhead to look up things like items/quests:

https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/FF14_Wiki
    https://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Main_Page

For a list of unlockable content:

https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Content_Unlock

The Lodestone (official FFXIV site) is also very useful:

https://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/
    https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/

Icy-veins recently looked for writers for FFXIV content so I would expect there to be information up there soon enough so I suggest keeping an eye on their website! I'm hoping it's going to be a 1 stop shop for FFXIV info as it can be scattered around depending on what you are looking for!

No, there are no easy "all in one" websites for FFXIV like WoW has with WoWhead and IcyVeins.

• ffxiv consolegameswiki is your go to place for looking up quests and how features work and how to unlock them, etc.
    • FFXIV web browser model viewer as your wowhead wardrobe where you can mix and match different pieces to come up with a glamour (the lighting isn't right, though).
    • The Balance Discord for endgame job rotation and gearing guides. Is a tremendous pain in the ass compared to Icy Veins guides: you basically go to one of the channels for the job you want to research, and then spend hours browsing through the two dozen+ different google doc guides that are way too long, just to find the little pieces of relevant information you actually wanted in the first place. Also the people there aren't very helpful. No there is no alternative.
    • Universalis for checking out market board prices across all servers without having to spend time hopping around each one.

I really wish MMO Champion would add a version for FF14. I want to see news for the game on the front page. Just make a checkbox that lets you choose between different games. Seems like an untapped market just waiting for them to exploit ($$$).

Quote Originally Posted by FossilFree View Post
    I really wish MMO Champion would add a version for FF14. I want to see news for the game on the front page. Just make a checkbox that lets you choose between different games. Seems like an untapped market just waiting for them to exploit ($$$).
    These types of websites are dying for a reason.

It's always hard to live without wowhead playing other games.

This has been suggested multiple times before in the suggestions subforum, and each time the thread is locked without comment by the mods. Given the continued "no game vs game discussion allowed!" commands by the mods (particularly anytime another MMO is compared to WoW), it is rather suspicious. Then again, despite the website being called MMO-Champion, it only ever reports on WoW, it seems that this website's leadership only wants to talk about WoW.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    These types of websites are dying for a reason.
    Not all. The Spacebattles forums has continued to grow over the past 25 years. A couple months ago the owner of Spacebattles had to sell the website to another user who had more money due to the increasing expense of hosting the website as more and more people join. The problem with MMO-Champion is that the website owners never really tried to grow outside the Blizzard brand box.

Quote Originally Posted by Nozari View Post
    I just started playing this game, great game I like it so far!, but is there a site like icy-veins or even wowhead type for ffx14? I'd like to know more about the jobs/dungeons and other end game content(at some point, im only lvl 16 gladiator). Thanks!
    Not yet, although Icy Veins its starting to make guides

Fiery arteries is pretty decent
    Chicken fried rice is delicious!

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    No, there are no easy "all in one" websites for FFXIV like WoW has with WoWhead and IcyVeins.

• ffxiv consolegameswiki is your go to place for looking up quests and how features work and how to unlock them, etc.
    • FFXIV web browser model viewer as your wowhead wardrobe where you can mix and match different pieces to come up with a glamour (the lighting isn't right, though).
    • The Balance Discord for endgame job rotation and gearing guides. Is a tremendous pain in the ass compared to Icy Veins guides: you basically go to one of the channels for the job you want to research, and then spend hours browsing through the two dozen+ different google doc guides that are way too long, just to find the little pieces of relevant information you actually wanted in the first place. Also the people there aren't very helpful. No there is no alternative.
    • Universalis for checking out market board prices across all servers without having to spend time hopping around each one.
    Teamcraft for everything crafting and gathering related.

This has been suggested multiple times before in the suggestions subforum, and each time the thread is locked without comment by the mods. Given the continued "no game vs game discussion allowed!" commands by the mods (particularly anytime another MMO is compared to WoW), it is rather suspicious. Then again, despite the website being called MMO-Champion, it only ever reports on WoW, it seems that this website's leadership only wants to talk about WoW.

- - - Updated - - -

Not all. The Spacebattles forums has continued to grow over the past 25 years. A couple months ago the owner of Spacebattles had to sell the website to another user who had more money due to the increasing expense of hosting the website as more and more people join. The problem with MMO-Champion is that the website owners never really tried to grow outside the Blizzard brand box.
    Considering this website is called "mmochampion" its pretty suspect that they have a news section for overwatch and even Heroes of the storm but no news for ff14, eso, gw2, new world, etc etc.

It makes me wonder if Blizzard secretly owns MMOC or is a majority shareholder or something.

Funny thing is IceVeins is actually hiring for an FFXIV Icy Veins site.

Then again, despite the website being called MMO-Champion, it only ever reports on WoW, it seems that this website's leadership only wants to talk about WoW.
    Well it has been said time and time again by the people that run the site that it is predominantly a World of Warcraft news site.

It makes me wonder if Blizzard secretly owns MMOC or is a majority shareholder or something.
    Probably nothing that sinister, but there may be certain obligations tied into certain privileges - this is common practice for "official" fan sites, who agree to certain terms in exchange for certain access.

Or maybe it's just that they want to limit themselves to WoW primarily, because that's the most they can realistically support at that level with the resources they have. Just adding a full-fledged extra section doesn't just magically happen on its own after all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Despite the name they regularly posted WoW leaks until the owner was given a warning. WorldofRaids or whatever merged with MMOC.

I miss WoW Insider.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Probably nothing that sinister, but there may be certain obligations tied into certain privileges - this is common practice for "official" fan sites, who agree to certain terms in exchange for certain access.

Or maybe it's just that they want to limit themselves to WoW primarily, because that's the most they can realistically support at that level with the resources they have. Just adding a full-fledged extra section doesn't just magically happen on its own after all.
    It just seems like leaving money on the table, which is a weird thing for a for-profit business to do. Hire more people, make a new section, cash in on the FF14 craze.

It just seems like leaving money on the table, which is a weird thing for a for-profit business to do. Hire more people, make a new section, cash in on the FF14 craze.
    It's rarely that straightforward. People cost a lot of money - and it's by no means guaranteed you'll make that money back (and a profit, or why do it). Plus it costs a lot of man-hours just to set that up etc. In fact, ESPECIALLY if it's a "craze" as you say this may be a bad investment, as who knows if six months from now that level of interest will still be there, and then you have a bunch of people on payroll that just drain money.

Sure, it could turn out to be a money-maker, too; but that's a risk. And I don't fault people for deciding not to take that risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    It's rarely that straightforward. People cost a lot of money - and it's by no means guaranteed you'll make that money back (and a profit, or why do it). Plus it costs a lot of man-hours just to set that up etc. In fact, ESPECIALLY if it's a "craze" as you say this may be a bad investment, as who knows if six months from now that level of interest will still be there, and then you have a bunch of people on payroll that just drain money.

Sure, it could turn out to be a money-maker, too; but that's a risk. And I don't fault people for deciding not to take that risk.
    It's also a risk to put all your eggs in one basket, especially when that basket is full of holes of the lawsuit variety.

It's also a risk to put all your eggs in one basket, especially when that basket is full of holes of the lawsuit variety.
    Not wrong there, but that's an investment already made; and nobody genuinely expects WoW/Blizzard to completely fold over this anyway. It's a risk, but it's a different kind of risk, with a different kind of cost/benefit.