5+ Year Old Account

Starter Edition Slows and PvP!

Monk (Windwalker) in Shadowlands (Prepatch 9.0.1) now don't get Disable until Level 34. But other classes get their slows much earlier. Warrior gets Hamstring at Level 4. Why?

All other classes get their slows before Level 20:

Warrior gets Hamstring at Level 4.
    Death Knight gets Chains of Ice at Level 13.
    Paladin gets Hand of Hindrance at Level 18.
    Hunter gets Concussive Shot at Level 13.
    Warlock gets Curse of Exhaustion at Level 12.
    Rogue (Outlaw) gets Pistol Shot at Level 12.
    Shaman gets Earthbind Totem at Level 5.
    Priest (Shadow) gets Mind Flay at Level 11.
    Mage (Arcane) gets Slow at Level 12.
    Mage gets Frostbolt at Level 1!

For people without active game time, active subscription and can only play Starter Edition Free Trial (Level 20 cap). Battlegrounds are going to suck for windwalker monk starter edition because they don't have their slows yet like every other Starter Edition class that can get their slows much earlier (Warrior Hamstring at Level 4, Hunter Concussive Shot at Level 13, etc.)

I love slowing players in pvp on my monk.

TL;DR: All other classes get their slows before Level 20 except Monk. Why?

(just wanted to get this all out.)

Thanks, Mmo-Champion!
    Last edited by monkfailz; 2021-11-30 at 08:42 AM.

this could lead to a few monks not upgrading to full version, after playing starter edition
    business processes optimization fail on their part

p.s. paladins didn't have a slow for years and i still can't believe they have it now
    Shadowlands is real world
    The Maw is China
    The Jailer is China government
    Sylvanas is Blizz

Yea, like Blizzard cares that you, a player that is not paying for a game won't have his slow in low-level battlegrounds.
    STOP THE SHADOWLANDS DEVELOPMENT, monkgailz can't play his class for free the way he wants!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by iosdeveloper View Post
    this could lead to a few monks not upgrading to full version, after playing starter edition
    Yea because new players are going to test all the classes in PVP and see that monks don't have slow before level 20, and then they will decide they don't want to buy the game.

Flying serpent kick has a snare component to it if I recall correctly?

You have 10% movement passive and an interrupt/school lockout pre-20. Not everyone has a stun and/or interrupt pre-20 but some specs do. If everyone but you has a slow then it's not an issue, low level pvp isn't balanced 1v1 in any game so why bring that to WoW?

Quote Originally Posted by zmuci View Post
    Yea, like Blizzard cares that you, a player that is not paying for a game won't have his slow in low-level battlegrounds.
    STOP THE SHADOWLANDS DEVELOPMENT, monkgailz can't play his class for free the way he wants!

- - - Updated - - -

Yea because new players are going to test all the classes in PVP and see that monks don't have slow before level 20, and then they will decide they don't want to buy the game.
    Nothing about your viewpoint aligns with intelligent business practices. They created the starter version to increase conversion. That’s literally it’s entire job. Try the game, buy the game. It’s a basic funnel.

This is incredibly low hanging fruit and being the only class without a slow when trying PvP is going to be a shit user experience.

This isn’t a re-design. It’s a more than reasonable request.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Prag View Post
    Nothing about your viewpoint aligns with intelligent business practices. They created the starter version to increase conversion. That’s literally it’s entire job. Try the game, buy the game. It’s a basic funnel.

This is incredibly low hanging fruit and being the only class without a slow when trying PvP is going to be a shit user experience.

This isn’t a re-design. It’s a more than reasonable request.
    It's reasonable but also extremely low-priority.

New players are unlikely to even notice this. The only way they will is if they:

A) Create a Monk as their main character (so, even if it was a flat 1 in 12, that's an 8% chance at best - in reality I believe Monks are rarer than this).

B) Do a ton of PvP to the point where they notice that every other class has a slow and they don't. I can't guess what percentage of 8% this will be, but it's going to be low, really low. New players tend to avoid PvP to start with, and it's unlikely most newer people will even notice this.

C) Get so upset by this, that, instead of just like, playing a different class or whatever, they decide "FUCK WOW!" and stalk away angrily. That's another tiny percentage of whatever tiny percentage B) left.

Your claim that just because Monks lack a snare, they're a "shit user experience" at 10-20 is just some hilarious bullshit hyperbole. Most new players playing Monks in a bit of PvP won't even notice. You'd need to both really love that PvP, and do it a lot, as a new player, to notice. Then you'd have to have a drama-type reaction instead of going "Oh I'll work around this" or "I'll play a different class when playing free".

At this point we're probably talking far less than 1 in 1000 new players is going to be put off by this. And those who will be are the most drama-prone players, so less of a loss anyway.

Returning players likely know perfectly well that they get a slow later, and thus even fewer of them will be impacted.

Would it be good to give them a snare at a lower level? Sure, but it is like 10000th on Blizzard's to-do list.
    "A youtuber said so."

"... some wow experts being interviewed..."

"According to researchers from Wowhead..."

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by monkfailz View Post
    Monk in Shadowlands (Prepatch 9.0.1) now don't get Disable until Level 34. But other classes get their slows much earlier. Warrior gets Hamstring at Level 4. Why?

All other classes get their slows before Level 20:

Warrior gets Hamstring at Level 4.
    Death Knight gets Chains of Ice at Level 13.
    Paladin gets Hand of Hindrance at Level 18.
    Hunter gets Concussive Shot at Level 13.
    Warlock gets Curse of Exhaustion at Level 12.
    Rogue (Outlaw) gets Pistol Shot at Level 12.
    Shaman gets Earthbind Totem at Level 5.
    Priest (Shadow) gets Mind Flay at Level 11.
    Mage (Arcane) gets Slow at Level 12.
    Mage gets Frostbolt at Level 1!

For people without active game time, active subscription and can only play Starter Edition Free Trial (Level 20 cap). Battlegrounds are going to suck for windwalker monk starter edition because they don't have their slows yet like every other Starter Edition class that can get their slows much earlier (Warrior Hamstring at Level 4, Hunter Concussive Shot at Level 13, etc.)

I love slowing players in pvp on my monk.

TL;DR: All other classes get their slows before Level 20 except Monk. Why?

(just wanted to get this all out.)

Thanks, Mmo-Champion!
    So.... you know... Just don't play WW monk, if you want to pvp at lvl 20 xD

You are asking a lot if you want every class to be filled with its "pvp" kit at lvl 20. Blizzard don't balance or build their classes/specs around low lvl PVP. You just have to deal with that, cause they will never work around it.

Like, you choose to focus on slows here, but i think if you look at things like DPS CDs, Stuns or movement increases, the balance is more unfair for other classes than WW monk.

So play with the limitation you have or just don't, there is no way around it.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

5+ Year Old Account
    Slows are so crucial especially for melee. It allows you to stay on your target when everybody and their mother has an escape (when that Mage blinks away from you, Hunter Disengage Leaps Backward, etc...). Being able to reduce someone's mobility is very advantageous!

When every class has insane mobility (well minus dks). Demon hunters have alot mobility at low level.

And I just love slowing people on my Monk.

Yes, I am still peeved about this lol.

I guess I'll just keep playing my Level 20 Resto Shaman spamming his Frost Shock Slow on players in battlegrounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Flurryfang View Post
    Blizzard don't balance or build their classes/specs around low lvl PVP. You just have to deal with that, cause they will never work around it.
    I like low level pvp.
    Last edited by monkfailz; 2021-11-30 at 08:57 AM.