Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    To be fair Putin doesnt need to, somehow people tend to die when speaking up.
    I mean, yes, there's that, too. I'm just commenting that the general idea of "I'm surprised Putin didn't do this, because Trump would have" is ridiculous because Putin and Trump are different people.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    I mean, yes, there's that, too. I'm just commenting that the general idea of "I'm surprised Putin didn't do this, because Trump would have" is ridiculous because Putin and Trump are different people.
    Ah, sorry

Any comparison with Trump vs anything should just be ignored.
    There are dictators, demoractic leaders and everything in between.

And then there are crazy (ex) leaders like Trump
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

is something about to happen or is Joe Biden just being himself? He's warned Putin twice the last few days to NEVER even consider the use of nukes.

The Biden administration has announced another $600 million in military aid to help the Ukrainian army maintain momentum against Russia. In an interview for this Sunday’s “60 Minutes,” Scott Pelley spoke with President Biden about Ukraine’s recent battlefield success — and the dangers that could bring.

“As Ukraine succeeds on the battlefield, Vladimir Putin is becoming embarrassed and pushed into a corner,” Pelley said to President Biden. “And I wonder, Mr. President, what you would say to him if he is considering using chemical or tactical nuclear weapons.”

“Don’t. Don’t. Don’t. You will change the face of war unlike anything since World War II,” Mr. Biden said.

When Pelley asked what the consequences would be if Putin crossed that line, the president wouldn’t say.

“You think I would tell you if I knew exactly what it would be? Of course, I’m not gonna tell you. It’ll be consequential,” Mr. Biden said. “They’ll become more of a pariah in the world than they ever have been. And depending on the extent of what they do will determine what response would occur.”

If there's something I find interesting about this statement is mentally I've been wondering for a while now: "Why hasn't Putin deployed chemical weapons like in Syria if he's so desperate?" And I didn't realize that those were seen on the level of nuke bad.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    is something about to happen or is Joe Biden just being himself? He's warned Putin twice the last few days to NEVER even consider the use of nukes.

The Biden administration has announced another $600 million in military aid to help the Ukrainian army maintain momentum against Russia. In an interview for this Sunday’s “60 Minutes,” Scott Pelley spoke with President Biden about Ukraine’s recent battlefield success — and the dangers that could bring.

“As Ukraine succeeds on the battlefield, Vladimir Putin is becoming embarrassed and pushed into a corner,” Pelley said to President Biden. “And I wonder, Mr. President, what you would say to him if he is considering using chemical or tactical nuclear weapons.”

“Don’t. Don’t. Don’t. You will change the face of war unlike anything since World War II,” Mr. Biden said.

When Pelley asked what the consequences would be if Putin crossed that line, the president wouldn’t say.

“You think I would tell you if I knew exactly what it would be? Of course, I’m not gonna tell you. It’ll be consequential,” Mr. Biden said. “They’ll become more of a pariah in the world than they ever have been. And depending on the extent of what they do will determine what response would occur.”

If there's something I find interesting about this statement is mentally I've been wondering for a while now: "Why hasn't Putin deployed chemical weapons like in Syria if he's so desperate?" And I didn't realize that those were seen on the level of nuke bad.
    Due your not getting your nuke (or chemical) usage. Give it a rest already.
    Last edited by Zinstorm; 2022-09-17 at 03:32 AM.

yeah if people believe that, then why would Joe Biden even raise that topic at all? I just hate it. It's just attention seeking.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

A write up of Putin's humiliating trip.

https://www.dailykos.com/story/2022/...ulfs-in-flames

And it shows just how blunt Modi's words were diplomatically. A public scolding like that just isn't normally done.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    yeah if people believe that, then why would Joe Biden even raise that topic at all? I just hate it. It's just attention seeking.
    That's rich, coming from you.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post

And it shows just how blunt Modi's words were diplomatically. A public scolding like that just isn't normally done.
    Thank you for the link, that was an insightful read.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post

Interesting indeed, particularly the part where putin's plane changes designation and goes to Sochi. I can't help but see parallels with the end of Khrushchev.

But yeah, a multipolar world may be coming but Russia will not be a mover or shaker, they'll sit up and beg for scraps. Speaking of which, I hear Lukashenko was asking for loans from OTHER countries than russia at the meeting.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Can’t wait to see the memes generated by this conference

15+ Year Old Account
    YUPPIE

This is a search in this thread and the number of posts you made about nuclear weapons and at a stretch, some extremely occasional post about the powerplant.
    You made 130 posts in this thread about nukes.
    Start your own Russia/Ukraine & nukes-thread cos you are just dilute it with the same dumb nuke-fetishm you suffer from over and over again for months!

Seriously YUPPIE.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Quote Originally Posted by Barzotti View Post
    Thank you for the link, that was an insightful read.
    The daily updates they do are very good reads. They have become one of my go to sources.

7+ Year Old Account
    Seriously YUPPIE.
    Futile. This guys brain automatically ignores posts like that. He always replies with something like "Don't you understand that Putin xyz".
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

You made 130 posts in this thread about nukes.

Seriously YUPPIE.
    If you expanded your terms beyond nuke and added nuclear it's a lot more. Then there are the posts where they're talking about it but, because they mentioned it in a previous post, they don't have to mention it in the actual post, like post 24061.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

15+ Year Old Account
    Ukraine's recent counter-offensive will not change Russia's plans, Vladimir Putin has said in his first public comments on the matter.

In a rapid counter-attack, Ukrainian forces say they captured over 8,000 sq km (3,000 sq miles) in six days in the north-eastern Kharkiv region.

But Mr Putin said he was not in a hurry, and the offensive in Ukraine's Donbas region remains on track.

He also noted that Russia had so far not deployed its full forces.

"Our offensive operation in the Donbas is not stopping. They're moving forward - not at a very fast pace - but they are gradually taking more and more territory," he said after a summit in Uzbekistan.
    So the de-nazifying the entire Ukraine which was the aim of the special operation (TM) is slower than "not a very fast pace".
    Was supposed to be over in 1 week acording to the Goebbels Kremlin.

So the de-nazifying the entire Ukraine which was the aim of the special operation (TM) is slower than "not a very fast pace".
    Putins copium supplies must be masssive

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuiking View Post
    Enormous! This entire thing is a one big disaster. I don't think there is a single positive thing for him from all of this. I do wonder if he himself realizes how much he fucked up.
    Last edited by Makabreska; 2022-09-17 at 12:52 PM.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

I've started thinking of Putin as a military strategist version of Wimp Lo: "I've lost thousands of soldiers and my armies advance in the opposite direction, making me the victor!"

It would be funny if it weren't such a senseless loss of human life over the dreams of a nationalist lunatic who would rather prefer to live in the past and rob his people than work towards a brighter future, only adding his own life to the waste pile.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuiking View Post
    Nah, like with the trolls, he is told only the propaganda, not facts - essentially he is a backseat gamer screaming at the true gamers, barking commands and then enraged that his team lost the game (because in this game, the troops HAVE to obey him)

On another note; Putin is facing pressure from Russia's hawkish nationalists who want all-out war in Ukraine

President Vladimir Putin is facing an increasing threat from Russian ultra-nationalist figures who are using their huge platforms on Telegram to demand a far more aggressive military mobilization in Ukraine.

For months, Putin appeared to have established broad support for the war while successfully drowning out dissent. But following a series of military defeats, culminating in the devastating rout in Ukraine's eastern Kharkiv region, the president is facing pressure on multiple fronts.

Breaking with the official line, the ultra-nationalists have increasingly become a thorn in the side of Putin's administration, causing Putin's carefully assembled 'power vertical' to splinter from the inside.

Last week, Igor Girkin, a leading ultra-nationalist who led the pro-Russian separatists in 2014 trying to wrest the Donbass region from Kyiv's control in 2014, told his 581,000 subscribers on Telegram that Defense Minister Sergey Shoigu should be executed by firing squad and that Russia should launch strikes on Ukrainian power plants.

Putin's spokesman, Dmitry Peskov, has responded directly to the growing clamor and the nationalists' anger at Russia's retreat, saying that Russians as a whole continue to support the president.

"The people are consolidated around the decisions of the head of state," said Peskov. "As for other points of view, critical points of view, as long as they remain within the law, this is pluralism, but the line is very, very thin, one must be very careful here."

As the nationalists' most prominent figurehead, Igor Girkin has been among the most searing in his criticism of Russia's military strategy. His comments have ranged from pessimistic, suggesting a belief that Russia could be defeated, and bravado, as he's sought to cajole Putin into taking more aggressive action.

Addressing his followers last week, Girkin said: "The war in Ukraine will continue until the complete defeat of Russia. We have already lost; the rest is just a matter of time.'

Then, on Wednesday, Girkin said that Kremlin officials were living "on the Planet of the Pink Ponies" and that Russia must commit to total war rather than entertain any illusions that the conflict could end with "peace on parity terms."

"Just do not stop at the objects on the Left Bank [of the Dnipro river]. Kyiv and Western Ukraine must be extinguished no less, and even more ruthlessly," he said.

Aleksandr Kots, a pro-Kremlin war journalist with 600,000 followers, used his Telegram channel on Wednesday to say that the Kremlin was hiding terrible news from the Russian public.

"We need to do something about the system where our leadership doesn't like to talk about bad news, and their subordinates don't want to upset their superiors," he said.

Girkin and Kots, as well as war bloggers such as Boris Rozhin and German Kulikovsky, are believed to be untouchable due to the krysha — protection — afforded them by figures in the senior echelons of the military and security services.

Ramzan Kadyrov, the tyrannical leader of the volatile Chechen republic, is the wild card in the deck.

The Kremlin has had tricky relations with fringe ultra-nationalists who are typically difficult to control despite the authorities best efforts to infiltrate them. The National Bosheviks, a movement led by the writer and dissident Eduard Limonov, had to be confronted in 2001 for plotting to invade Kazakhstan in a bid to foment a rebellion there by ethnic Russians. Limonov, who was arrested, denied the charges.

What's different about this moment is that a growing number of these figures are now off-leash — openly undermining Putin and warning that he will be replaced if he does not order more extreme action against Ukraine.

The widespread purging of liberals and journalists that occurred in the early days of the Ukraine war is relatively straightforward in Russia. But cracking down on ultra- nationalists is more dangerous and may have dire consequences – especially if Russia loses the war.

Meanwhile, as the Russian economy is slowly grinding towards Brezhnev-era zastoi (stagnation), ordinary Russians are fed up with rising grocery prices, being on unpaid leave from their jobs, and being blocked from traveling to the West.

"People are keeping their heads down and trying to block out the news," said Maxim, who declined to give his full name out of fear for his security.

"Some of my friends have lost their jobs, and everyone is tightening their belts. Any mobilization would be the tipping point because nobody here wants to fight this stupid war – apart from the raving nationalists."