Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    How much do we really know about him plus this year events gave him all the reason to drink.
    Reportedly, Putin is actually annoyed at his entourage for taking to heavy drinking over stress from this whole war.

Granted, we can most likely tell that it's not vodka he's been drinking in the video, given that he's visibly holding a glass of champagne.

Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    Right, but that's the thing, by all accounts he's not a big drinker.
    Of course he's not. Fun is not allowed.

while I don't want to cite the Daily Beast among other things, numerous credible sources similarly say some of the numerous rapists/killers Putin conscripted from prisons have murdered their commanding officers in "brutal fashion" before going MIA.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    while I don't want to cite the Daily Beast among other things, numerous credible sources similarly say some of the numerous rapists/killers Putin conscripted from prisons have murdered their commanding officers in "brutal fashion" before going MIA.
    *Insert Surprise Pikachu face Meme* Who'd a thunk?

After Putin has threatened the nuclear rhetoric on an unprecedented scale this week, his close ally and friend, Modi, has refused to attend a summit with him

Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Russian President Vladimir Putin will not hold an annual in-person summit this year, an Indian government source said on Friday, after the two held discussions on the sidelines of an event in September.

Bloomberg News reported earlier in the day that the decision to cancel the summit was taken after veiled threats by Putin to use nuclear weapons in the Ukraine war.

India, which has become one of the biggest buyers of Russian oil along with China since the war began in February, has not explicitly condemned what Russia calls its "special military operation" in Ukraine.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

his close ally and friend, Modi
    Modi is neither an ally nor a friend of Putin's.

India does a lot of fence sitting for it's own geopolitical reasons and lack of an ethical backbone but calling Modi either a friend or an ally of Moscow is a leap.

Quote Originally Posted by Elder Millennial View Post
    India does a lot of fence sitting for it's own geopolitical reasons and lack of an ethical backbone but calling Modi either a friend or an ally of Moscow is a leap.
    with that in mind, I think it's time to stop beating around the bush and just admit India is both an ally and business partner of Russia; India is always cited with China on the top of Russia's non-militaristic (at least as we openly know) alliances on news outlets.

I mean, I cited it right there

"biggest buyers of Russian oil"

"country that doesn't care about a war half the world away doesn't mind profiting from the cheap oil Russia can't sell to anyone else" hardly makes India an ally.

Like China they don't mind profiting from Russia's misfortune. But that's where it ends.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Pretty sure they asked for the Arms Dealer not because he is the one they wanted the most but because he is the one that would create the worst possible press for the Biden administration.
    I wonder if this is spun as some type of win in the Russian news as well. When your own government wants to trade athletes for arms dealers and convicted assassins, is there a point where regular Russians comically ask themselves "are we the baddies"?

Do Russian citizens need to start wearing skulls on their hats before they realize their culture sucks?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    I wonder if this is spun as some type of win in the Russian news as well. When your own government wants to trade athletes for arms dealers and convicted assassins, is there a point where regular Russians comically ask themselves "are we the baddies"?

Do Russian citizens need to start wearing skulls on their hats before they realize their culture sucks?
    Apparently he's being hailed as a hero. Brought home from unjust incarceration in the US.

with that in mind, I think it's time to stop beating around the bush and just admit India is both an ally and business partner of Russia; India is always cited with China on the top of Russia's non-militaristic (at least as we openly know) alliances on news outlets.

I mean, I cited it right there

"biggest buyers of Russian oil"
    Playing neutral =/= ally.

Ally would mean someone who shares strategic interests. India does not share strategic interests with Russia. India profits economically from the war at the detriment of Russia while at the same time having a complicated defense related dependence on Russia. India is worried about China, but it also spent decades buying Russian military hardware.

There are dimensions to this. Tone it down. As far as India is concerned, Putin might jump out of a window and Moscow might burn to the ground and Ukraine might annex St Petersburg as long as they can buy cheap oil and gas and hopefully the entire Russian military arsenal on the cheap.
    Last edited by Elder Millennial; 2022-12-10 at 05:28 PM.

just wondering: are you people mistaking "ally" with "militaristic aid"? Because I already ruled that out. You don't have to sell guns, missiles, etc to Russia to be an ally = only bring in money that enables their war machine.

That's why much of the world condemns India for their stance on buying oil

just wondering: are you people mistaking "ally" with "militaristic aid"? Because I already ruled that out. You don't have to sell guns, missiles, etc to Russia to be an ally = only bring in money that enables their war machine.

I imagine most of the world would not use the word ally for someone who buys your stuff for cheap because of your own 'misfortune'.

(and I use misfortune very loosely here considering this entirely Russia's own fault)

If I pay a prostitute for sex, it doesn't make me their friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    buys your stuff
    But that's still financially backing Russia even in a meager capacity; it's been stated already India can just turn to America or Europe for their needs but they've rebuked those offers

Most of the world might vote in the UN to condem Russia, but outside of that material support and actually push against Russia is NATO and a handful of western aligned countries only. For most of the world, it's basically "Oh it's europe now, anyway back to our own problems." They are likely using the war to get their own gains from both sides.

But that's still financially backing Russia even in a meager capacity; it's been stated already India can just turn to America or Europe for their needs but they've rebuked those offers
    America and Europe are not selling oil at bottom prices.

India only cares about the fact that the oil is cheap, not that it supports Russia.

just wondering: are you people mistaking "ally" with "militaristic aid"?
    That's not what I said did I?

I said, and I quote, "Ally would mean someone who shares strategic interests". Russia's strategic interests are territorial capture in Ukraine and the destabilization or annihilation of Ukraine's political and cultural independence and its return to Russian sphere of influence. Destabilizing Western cultural, economic and military hegemony would be a bonus.

These are not strategic objectives for India.

And argument can be made that China shares some of Russia's greater geopolitical objectives, namely the desire to end western hegemony, but it doesn't share Russia's primary strategic objectives in Ukraine, on the contrary, the economic instability caused by this war disrupts its financial interests and the security instability across the Caucasus and in eastern Europe threatens to completely kneecap the Belt and Road project which is and was China's flagship economic, political and security project meant to challenge that Western hegemony.

China doesn't care about which sphere of influence Ukraine falls into and it probably didn't object to initially to Russia trying to grab Ukraine, but what China likely agreed to turn a blind eye to (tho it never supported) was the original Russian "grab Ukraine in 3 days" plan. China was additionally interested in observing what the Western reactions were going to be to a quick landgrab. In a way it was a "test run" for Taiwan but without having to bear any of the consequences.

In my estimation China didn't foresee either how bad this is going to get economically or how much it would revitalize Western determination.

China could easily bail Russia out in a million different ways even without giving them a single bullet, but it didn't and doesn't. It hasn't lifted a finger to help them. With allies like that, who needs enemies?

Anyway, this thread is a quagmire.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elder Millennial View Post

Anyway, this thread is a quagmire.
    That's what happens when certain someones get back from their little forum vacations. They ask the same question five different times and get the same answer telling them why they're wrong from 30 different people then, like a toddler, move on to the next nonsequitur question they have based on the same misinformation they've already been corrected on.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.