10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    With the latest events: not happening.

Seems like we and Swedes must kiss your NATO membership goodbye for as long as Turkey is a member.
    Let's see after the elections, eh?

Having said that, bit annoyed that we are collateral for the spat between Erdogan and Sweden...I know, I know, we're not his favourites either but his main beef is stil with Sweden.

Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post

Having said that, bit annoyed that we are collateral for the spat between Erdogan and Sweden...I know, I know, we're not his favourites either but his main beef is stil with Sweden.
    Your not collateral from Turkey, your collateral from yourself. Finland could join NATO tomorrow if it wanted to, but has decided that it will either join together with Sweden or not join at all. Which geopolitically makes sense. But just understand the difference.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

The corruption cycle can be escaped if a country escapes the Russian sphere.

Reminder, the distinction between the Baltics today and Belarus and Ukraine for example is that the Baltics managed to slip out of the Russian sphere in the early 2000's. They were part of the same Soviet Union and all inherited the same features of corruption, it is possible to break the cycle, but not while being in the sphere of Russia.

Russia is like an entropic field, it rots everything it touches.

Quote Originally Posted by Elder Millennial View Post

Reminder, the distinction between the Baltics today and Belarus and Ukraine for example is that the Baltics managed to slip out of the Russian sphere in the early 2000's. They were part of the same Soviet Union and all inherited the same features of corruption, it is possible to break the cycle, but not while being in the sphere of Russia.

Rather, for Russia to be able to maintain its hold in the economies of peripheral countries, corruption is very much required. Without corruption, they are just not competitive. Meanwhile while EU corporate interests absolutely can profit from corruption post-alignment since it enables them to push their margins, they'd much prefer that corruption to be centralized in procurement and not infest and explode the cost of doing business (and they can perform without any corruption just fine since the product is just superior or close to any alternative). For the country to be a member of the EU, those processes need to become lean and that cuts down corruption significantly (or else the margins have to largely stay in the country since palms are greased at so many levels).

While it definitely is cultural at the end it is mostly about financial interest.

About the corruption issue aforementioned:

I'm not worried now because, I think Ukraine is now under the West's grasp - very specifically America's - after the war openly broke out. That doesn't mean enslavement, but I doubt Zelenksy will try to pocket under the table within the jurisdiction of entities like the CIA (aka scariest people on the planet).

That is why I think corruption like will at the least not a thing with Zelenksy anymore. The billions of taxpayer's money will safely go into good interests.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

Quote Originally Posted by Voidism View Post
    Jake Broe said in his latest video that the reason they are suddenly strictly enforcing trimming of beards might be due to russia planning to use chemical or biological weapons and the gas masks needing air tight seal.

Would this change anything for russia? Can it be countered?

Didn't the US say that it is a red line for them?
    the thread put me back a few pages and i clicked it and saw this post. lol.

I'd say whoever jake broe is dont listen to them on anything they dont know what they are talking about.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    About the corruption issue aforementioned:

I'm not worried now because, I think Ukraine is now under the West's grasp - very specifically America's - after the war openly broke out. That doesn't mean enslavement, but I doubt Zelenksy will try to pocket under the table within the jurisdiction of entities like the CIA (aka scariest people on the planet).

That is why I think corruption like will at the least not a thing with Zelenksy anymore. The billions of taxpayer's money will safely go into good interests.
    lol rebuilding money after the war is over will be pilfered, no point pretending otherwise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elder Millennial View Post

I thought I recall reading that the Russian people have a view towards corruption that so long as it brings about peace and security they tolerate it since they view it as inevitable anyways. Which just screams of a self-fulfilling prophecy to me if what I read was true.
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post

I'd say whoever jake broe is dont listen to them on anything they dont know what they are talking about.

- - - Updated - - -

lol rebuilding money after the war is over will be pilfered, no point pretending otherwise.
    I dunno, he's a former US military dude who served with YUPPIEs favourite weapon, now his channel is an economic advice channel turned Ukraine war covering channel.

So far he's been quite correct on most things.

That aside, if one doesn't know who someone is then it is usual to first find out before one dismisses them, so do you have information why he doesn't know anything?

And more will ofc go in the pockets of US and EU companies than Ukrainian politicians.

I dunno, he's a former US military dude who served with YUPPIEs favourite weapon, now his channel is an economic advice channel turned Ukraine war covering channel.

So far he's been quite correct on most things.

That aside, if one doesn't know who someone is then it is usual to first find out before one dismisses them, so do you have information why he doesn't know anything?
    so you have mentioned what 3 red flags there?

youtuber - flag 1
    no real expertise and is just giving their opinion - flag 2
    pivoting from 'economic advice' (dont take economic advice from youtube pls) to ukraine war videos - flag 3

its funny that other other former nuke dudes youtube that got promoted on here was shackler with scott ritter (the pro russian convicted pedo).

cmon you can think these things through yourself if you try. Dont get your information from youtubers.

10+ Year Old Account
    so you have mentioned what 3 red flags there?

youtuber - flag 1
    no real expertise and is just giving their opinion - flag 2
    pivoting from 'economic advice' (dont take economic advice from youtube pls) to ukraine war videos - flag 3

its funny that other other former nuke dudes youtube that got promoted on here was shackler with scott ritter (the pro russian convicted pedo).

cmon you can think these things through yourself if you try. Dont get your information from youtubers.
    So you dismiss him without any evidence, well done, then I can dismiss your opinion as well. See how simple that is?

Do better.

I really, really don't think Zelenksy can do that if he wanted to. If this war has illustrated anything to me, it's how far-reaching the power of the US intelligence agencies and war machine is even compared to Russia.

I also don't think America is in this for any benign reasons, though that much has been obvious to most people; should Zelenksy pilfer money as you theorize, the US will subtly dispose of/depose him.

It's the hypothetical person *after* Zelenksy I'd be worried about since Ukraine claims it is an elective democracy, so Zelenksy won't be leading forever. That's the flaw of elections and democracy. You might get a relatively good guy to a fascist the next time.
    Last edited by YUPPIE; 2023-01-23 at 08:21 PM.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

I also don't think America is in this for any benign reasons, though that much has been obvious to most people; should Zelenksy pilfer money as you say, the US will subtly dispose of/depose him.
    Welcome to the concept of international diplomacy, a poker room where everyone is cheating and never being truthful. Yes, the west is in it for its own geopolitical reasons, but it doesn't stop it from being the moral choice either (These barely go hand in hand, but this time it does, which makes it an easy sell).

I really, really don't think Zelenksy can do that if he wanted to. If this war has illustrated anything to me, it's how far-reaching the power of the US intelligence agencies and war machine is even compared to Russia.

I also don't think America is in this for any benign reasons, though that much has been obvious to most people; should Zelenksy pilfer money as you theorize, the US will subtly dispose of/depose him.
    dont be silly. There will be a contract out to rebuild a road and it will be given to a friend of a friend and they will cream a bit off. Goes on everywhere, i used to work for a scaffolding firm in the uk that took kickbacks not to bid on contracts when i was 17. Its corruption that private businesses take the piss out of tax payers. (we have a bit scandal in the UK about covid PPE contracts) they same thing will go on after the war.

I mean, he's using us for domestic audience. He DOES have a point that we have very odd laws in Sweden when it comes to terrorist or gang memberships but he's obviously intentionally leaving out the fact that our government won't change our constitution over night just for his feelings being hurt. He knows this very well. He wants to keep the heat up, otherwise he'd have expressed himself it other ways than he has. He wants to win the elections, so he causes a frenzy which makes people forget about his bad stuff and rally behind him.

Wouldn't surprise me if he was behind the doll and stuff himself in the end. Passively or actively. Kinda like how putin funds both extremist sides in countries to make them cause chaos, sometimes without their knowledge. Of course, Swedish "left" are idiotic enough to follow along and be used. We will join NATO, and these "leftists" will not have gained anything other than contempt from the people. So in a way our right wingers and centrists have that to thank Erdogan. The far right guy who burned the Quran also makes a fool of himself but will not remove free speech like he wants in the end. We are very happy about that freedom, but the far right itself will be less popular going forward.

- - - Updated - - -

Jake Broe was mostly speculating. I hope I made it clear that it wasn't an expert opinion neither from Jake nor me. I simply wanted to see what y'all thought. Jake Broe is one of the good guys. Here's his latest video where he speculated shortly about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N4Xv152lcI
    Last edited by Voidism; 2023-01-23 at 09:20 PM.

dont be silly. There will be a contract out to rebuild a road and it will be given to a friend of a friend and they will cream a bit off.
    and do you think it's gonna be zelenksy doing this over some subordinates? He's reportedly tried and has successfully weeding out such people as it is. Don't get me wrong, I will never shill for this guy or not be suspicious of him, but there's so much at stake for him to return to being corrupt. And also, again, trying that under US surveillance? I don't think he's that impulsive.

Seems it might have been a misread of the situation - nothing to do with any potential chemical attack but that the general was concerned about the sloppy looks of the russian soldiers and wanted them to shave to look better. Because right now that is what is holding the russians back...

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    Seems it might have been a misread of the situation - nothing to do with any potential chemical attack but that the general was concerned about the sloppy looks of the russian soldiers and wanted them to shave to look better. Because right now that is what is holding the russians back...
    yea Kadyrov and Prigozhin were slagging him off for saying that. But its not some gonna use gas or anything, most armys have hygiene or grooming standards, in the UK its no beard but you can have a mustache (although i think its changing).

speaking of Prigozhin this guy does his lawfare in the UK : https://www.discreetlaw.com/employee/roger-gherson/

send him an email asking him why he helps wagner if you want

yea Kadyrov and Prigozhin were slagging him off for saying that. But its not some gonna use gas or anything, most armys have hygiene or grooming standards, in the UK its no beard but you can have a mustache (although i think its changing).
    Would be weird for the UK army to have no moustache, that's basically been a thing for a long time. Hell prior to WW1 it was compulsary to have one.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    Would be weird for the UK army to have no moustache, that's basically been a thing for a long time. Hell prior to WW1 it was compulsary to have one.
    changing to allow beards i should say.

top fbi guy getting nicked for his links to Oleg Deripaska, hes proper everywhere. Links to british aristocracy, Mandelson, think he employed George Osborne for a bit