If what you say about Boris is actually true, I'm pretty sure Zelenksy would have shunned him. The guy has made it clear he has little, if any, tolerance for disingenuine or clownish antics anymore. But even then, the citizens of Kyiv clearly like Boris Johnson.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    If what you say about Boris is actually true, I'm pretty sure Zelenksy would have shunned him. The guy has made it clear he has little, if any, tolerance for disingenuine or clownish antics anymore. But even then, the citizens of Kyiv clearly like Boris Johnson.
    Let me answer that with a Churchill quote "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons."

In other words, even if the person helping you is vile, evil, corrupt, or genuinely not a nice person, you don't turn away the help since morals have no place in international diplomacy, only interests. Bojo's interest of not being caught in his lies aligned with Zelensky's interest in defending his country.

Iran and North Korea, go to war with the US on average two to three times a year.

"Death to America" is like the unofficial motto of the Iranian regime.

- - - Updated - - -

Boris Johnson's antics in domestic British politics are irrelevant to Zelensky and Ukraine.

Johnson might have often used Ukraine as a distraction from his many failures at home, but in the process he did help Ukraine militarily, economically and diplomatically. Why Johnson did all that is ultimately irrelevant from the point of view of Ukrainians, what mattered to them is that he was helpful.

And despite his resignation, Johnson remains politically and diplomatically influential, as long as he continues to use that influence to Ukraine's benefit, the Ukrainians will sing his praises.

On the heels of February, Zelenksy warns that Russia's all-out final assault - something I cited as building up since November 2022 - has finally begun.

Russia has begun its “big revenge” for Ukraine’s resistance to its invasion, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has said, as Russian forces claimed a series of incremental gains in his country’s east.

Zelenskyy has been warning for weeks that Moscow aims to step up its assault on Ukraine after about two months of virtual stalemate along the front line that stretches across the south and east.
    -------
    While there was no sign of a broader new offensive on Monday, the administrator of Russian-controlled parts of Ukraine’s eastern Donetsk province, Denis Pushilin, said Russian troops had secured a foothold in Vuhledar, a coal mining town whose ruins have been a Ukrainian bastion since the outset of the war.

Pushilin’s adviser, Yan Gagin, said fighters from Russian mercenary force Wagner had taken partial control of a supply road leading to Bakhmut, a city that has been the focus of a Russian offensive for months.

A day earlier, the head of Wagner said his fighters had secured Blahodatne, a village just north of Bakhmut.

Kyiv said it had repelled assaults on Blahodatne and Vuhledar. The Reuters news agency could not independently verify the situations there, but the locations of the reported fighting indicated clear, though gradual, Russian gains.

Zelenskyy said Russian attacks in the east were relentless despite heavy casualties on the Russian side, casting them as payback for Ukraine’s success in pushing Russian forces back from the capital, northeast and south earlier in the conflict.

“I think that Russia really wants its big revenge. I think they have [already] started it,” Zelenskyy said. Every day they either bring in more of their regular troops, or we see an increase in the number of Wagnerites."
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    Nah they don't understand that getting bogged down in an occupation AFTER successfully squashing a country isn't the same thing as failing at conquest in the first place. (Disclaimer: I know the US objective wasn't conquest I'm just drawing a blank at what to call it, pacification?)
    I think the word we American's use when we go into a country like that "Liberating".
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    I think the word we American's use when we go into a country like that "Liberating".
    Right, of course!

On russian TV, they admitted the VDV, their airborne force and supposedly among the best trained and elite of their army, had lost 50% of its troops by September last year.

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/st...1lIltW8zzlej3A

Boris Johnson has stated multiple that's exactly the wrong attitude to have - criticizing others for indifference. He has specifically said it may not be your problem now if you aren't in the warzone, but apathy to Ukraine's struggle will literally mean Russia will show up at your doorstep should they (Kyiv) fall.
    There is a huge gulf between "apathy to Ukraine's struggle" and "on the edge and living in fear regardless of where they are." One can be sympathetic to Ukraine and pushing for change and also not be perpetually terrified about nuclear armageddon.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    On russian TV, they admitted the VDV, their airborne force and supposedly among the best trained and elite of their army, had lost 50% of its troops by September last year.

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/st...1lIltW8zzlej3A
    If they admit to 50% losses, it is probably entirely gone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    It's combat ineffective in any case as they've lost a truckton of experienced men and squad cohesion.

It's combat ineffective in any case as they've lost a truckton of experienced men and squad cohesion.
    "Combat effectiveness" seems to mean vastly different things for Russians and NATO.

If your unit has men in it that can stand and walk or crawl towards Ukrainian lines, you're combat effective for Russia.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elder Millennial View Post
    "Combat effectiveness" seems to mean vastly different things for Russians and NATO.

If your unit has men in it that can stand and walk or crawl towards Ukrainian lines, you're combat effective for Russia.
    Amazingly that attitude results in more casualties... who'da thought...

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    The 50% remainders are probably 10% disabled survivors still serving on paper, and 40% mobiks thrown in to keep the pretense the unit still has 50%.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

I have some partners from Ukraine, all of them struggle to work atm (the digital nomads), they seem to cut their electricity often and it takes like 6 hours to be restored, also they are saying to me and they are getting bombed every week, one of them was from Bakhmut who now lives on Kyiv and he is saying only 5% are remaining there from the total population and they are sending text messages or something like this.

I really wonder how these people can survive like this, it kinda gets me everytime they are saying that they will cut their electricity, it feels unimaginable cruel, there are some lucky ones who have generators, how do the rest survive the cold? what about those who are reliant on the internet to work?

Well, sometimes they cut my electricity too on the village that I live and the cold becomes hell but it's much warmer here than Ukraine and this doesn't occur daily and for many hours. They survive in this state for many months now, are these people immune to cold or have great insulation on their houses?

If I lived there, I would be dead from day 1 from pneumonia and lack of income, if I had the same house like I do here, it would all be filled with mold too. If I could survive the cold without electricity, that would save me a lot of bills, there is something to learn here.

Ever since Putin invaded Ukraine, I think most people have been put on edge or are living in fear regardless of where they are.

I mean for sure, I have been I'll admit that much. Ever since 2021, I don't think I've missed a day reading about the state of affairs regarding Ukraine and Russia.
    I live close by and I'm not living in fear, if you living in fear you should probably see a psychiatrist.

10+ Year Old Account

My war crime Bingo card is almost full.
    They've done everything short of WMDs by this point.

On the same page: Do you people in this thread not give much of a shit for what Viktor Orban has to say? The few times I cited his remarks, they went totally ignored. In light of this new atrocity, Orban has spoken again and crudely told Ukraine to surrender and how Russia will win.

10+ Year Old Account
    Orban is a clown whose biggest advantage is that the EU is not equipped for dealing with democratic backsliding and russian bootlicking from the inside.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    They've done everything short of WMDs by this point.

On the same page: Do you people in this thread not give much of a shit for what Viktor Orban has to say? The few times I cited his remarks, they went totally ignored. In light of this new atrocity, Orban has spoken again and crudely told Ukraine to surrender and how Russia will win.
    Literally nobody gives fuck what Hungary says.