Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    Dude, catch up, he's one of them now.
    I know this. I just using his movie persona as the fighter of Russians. Now he is just the fat Russian fighter. Much like who they will have to recruit here soon because they are running out of able bodied people to actually send to the front line.

I take issue with the media and administations putting dollar ammount on everything that is being sent to Ukraine, and you can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think its completely honest and they do it just to simplify it all. I mean, it seems pretty difficult putting monetary value on old stockpile of weapons that have been sitting in store rooms going obsolete. Take the Uk stormshadows for instance, the cost of the weapon is listed at something like 2 million, however, the longer they sit in the warehouses the prices don't just reduce, it ends up costing the owner to dispose of them. Pretty much everything Ukraine has recieved so far has been hand me downs.
    If they start asking for F-35s, Apaches and Ghostriders, then I can imagine some taxpayers getting upset.

Anyways, heres some interesting news.

Ukraine Is Winning The Artillery War—By Destroying Four Russian Howitzers for Every Howitzer It Loses

Ukrainian losses are slightly higher at around 170, which should come as no surprise. A defending army enjoys an advantage over an attacking army, as the former can dig in while the latter often must advance across open terrain.

Artillery losses have not been equal. Observers have counted 32 wrecked howitzers and rocket-launchers on the Russian side, but only eight on the Ukrainian side. It seems the Russians are losing four big guns for every one big gun the Ukrainians are losing.

Scale and context matter. Having begun the wider war with around 5,000 howitzers and rocket-launchers—three times what the Ukrainians had—the Russians had more artillery to lose.
    All that is to say that, on June 4—the first day of Ukraine’s counteroffensive—Kyiv on paper had no fewer than 2,500 big guns and launchers. Moscow had around 4,500. And over the following weeks, the Ukrainians steadily chipped away at this advantage by destroying four times as many Russian howitzers and launchers as the Russians have destroyed Ukrainian howitzers and launchers.
    Oh, and we might be hearing some news about F-16 transfer in the next couple hours.

NATO would not ignore an enraged Putin if he phones on the heels of a serious matter like Ukraine officially joining them.

But that aside, not much happened from the conference. Ukraine isn't joining until the war is over, but a lot can happen before then.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    NATO would not ignore an enraged Putin if he phones on the heels of a serious matter like Ukraine officially joining them.

But that aside, not much happened from the conference. Ukraine isn't joining until the war is over, but a lot can happen before then.
    yes they would rofl, they'd leave that shot on read and ghost his ass

what's he gonna do about it, draw another red line? sink another russian ship? bomb his own mercenaries again? pardon the guy who almost overthrew his government and then let the guy re-enter the country, again?

10+ Year Old Account
    Russia has a representative in NATO for the communication purposes and this communication happens behind the scenes. There are proper channels for these things and much of everything is happening via these back channels.

After all if NATO would deploy X units of Y on some border, they'd inform Russia that it's not some invasion and Russia is likely does the same - all within limits of reason as far as state secrets go.

Putin or anyone else, for that matter, do not need to call anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    what's he gonna do about it
    There's an insane gap between bluffing over ultimately trivial things like Ukraine seizing unrecognized Russian annexed lands, and Ukraine formally joining NATO (thus placing them under its protection).

You know what he will do without a doubt should that come to pass.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

There's an insane gap between bluffing over ultimately trivial things like Ukraine seizing unrecognized Russian annexed lands, and Ukraine formally joining NATO (thus placing them under its protection).

what's he gonna do about it though? throw a few more waves of convicts into the grinder to get mowed down? cry about it after Ukraine joins and they benefit from Article 5?

What will he do, YUPPIE?

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    what's he gonna do about it though? throw a few more waves of convicts into the grinder to get mowed down? cry about it after Ukraine joins and they benefit from Article 5?

What will he do, YUPPIE?
    You know his answer...it rhymes with dukes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ukraine won't be joining NATO any time soon, because NATO members are not actively looking for war on their hands.

Biden pretty much said so, as far as I remember. Ukraine will be in NATO only after this war is actually ended and it will take a few years at least, as far as I believe.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, there won't be any n00ks.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ghotihook View Post
    You know his answer...it rhymes with dukes.
    Flukes?

/10char

7+ Year Old Account

Yes they would.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Ukraine won't be joining NATO any time soon, because NATO members are not actively looking for war on their hands.

Biden pretty much said so, as far as I remember. Ukraine will be in NATO only after this war is actually ended and it will take a few years at least, as far as I believe.
    There's actually a provision that says you can't join NATO if you're actively involved in a conflict.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's really not a stupid take. Plenty of foreign warlords, dictators, and terrorists have shown their faces to make their demands.
    This isn't an action movie where the bad guy briefly shows up to make demands you chicken coop.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    This isn't an action movie where the bad guy briefly shows up to make demands you chicken coop.
    But...it could be? He could send Steven Seagull in his stead. Or at least Steven Seagull's body double.

Get an aneurysm from impotently raging in his bunker?

- - - Updated - - -

You guys want to know how much it costs for a mobik to get to go on a leave from the front line? About $1000.

Reports suggest that Russian commanders are demanding a standard bribe of a month's salary – 100,000 rubles ($1,100) – to allow their men go on leave. Those without money or connections are spending months fighting on the front line without being rotated or rested.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    You guys want to know how much it costs for a mobik to get to go on a leave from the front line? About $1000.
    That sounds like a good way to create a position in the unit for a field promotion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    That sounds like a good way to create a position in the unit for a field promotion.
    Yeah it is fucking bizarre why there are not more stories of mobiks just fragging their COs and walking away.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah it is fucking bizarre why there are not more stories of mobiks just fragging their COs and walking away.
    Brainwashing, cowing, outright spinelessness, take your pick. Heck, even plain old mentality of "they are my superior, of course they have the right to extort me, I'd do the same in his place."

I'd say because deep down they want to rise in the ranks and do this shit themselves.

Bloodsail Admiral
    3+ Year Old Account
    There have been a lot of these stories actually. They aren't global news type headline articles, but it's happened a fair bit. That and group surrenders with complaints that their CO left or is dead (or fragged), and/or that they were sent to the front without sufficient food/ammo/clothing/orders, etc.

If you're openly being used as cannon fodder and referred to as "feeding the meat machine" by state media, 80% of your battalion is dead, and you're sent against tanks with AK-47s, the light bulb starts to probably go on that maybe they don't have your best interests in mind.