Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    Well, what they said is not what they do. Sometimes.

OPEC+ Raises Oil Production By Most In 7 Months

My bet is that we'll see additional production increase in March.

The U.S.’s Venezuela visit bears fruit, as two detained Americans get released

Some people will be yelling "Maduro Bad!" I think we will see increased production from Venezuela also.

Maybe its profit taking or maybe this shadow increase is why the markets had a mini crash today of 10-12% and gas was down 40 cents and home heating oil cratered almost a full dollar.

will be funny to see nothing change at the pump overnight even with these massive drops, even though massive moves in the other direction was causing multiple daily changes in price upwards
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    That's a good idea but you would have to invent a way to do all of that stuff anonymously. There would have to be a way to sneak in people and supplies where the source can't be traced by Russia. What you're asking is very difficult and it could be insanely expensive to convince mercenaries to take on the Russian military...
    It's not really needed to be covert to that extent, because Russia will be aware pretty much instantly anyway. Of course these contractors won't be going in in NATO fatigues waving US flags, they would instead be West version of "little green men".

If the whole thing is limited it's enough to let it slide, so risk is none. Few thousands such contractors with light equipment won't make Russia go wild there... Tanks and such, on the other hand, are already a more dangerous territory there.

Gotta say that the jet fighter dance is getting ridiculous. And giving more MANPADs will not solve the AA issue, those are literally the last line of defense against planes.

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    Karabagh is tiny and that matters in defense. Ukraine has a lot of land where they can dance around Russian columns.
    Not in the mud they can't... Same goes for Russians, of course, mud doesn't care. And it is supposed to be freezing soon, so that's actually not great.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Oh my fucking god dude, drones don't magically give you the ability to negate the fact Taiwan has a restricted number of beachheads.
    As I wrote last year China will attempt to "resolve the question of Taiwan" until the end of 2030. If you want you can mark it down and I will send you beer or something if my prognosis will fail and we are still alive by then.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    It's not really needed to be covert to that extent, because Russia will be aware pretty much instantly anyway. Of course these contractors won't be going in in NATO fatigues waving US flags, they would instead be West version of "little green men".

If the whole thing is limited it's enough to let it slide, so risk is none. Few thousands such contractors with light equipment won't make Russia go wild there... Tanks and such, on the other hand, are already a more dangerous territory there.
    Ehh, Ukraine still should have enough heavy armor left. But every single remaining S-300 and Buk unit is worth more than gold and irreplaceable at this point, more than any tank.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's all calculated risks.

There is quite a big difference between "volunteers" or some "protective agents" and shit like no-fly zones and shooting down Russian planes.

Heck, you have US/Poland shitting bricks over even prospect of being the direct supplier of said jets to Ukraine turning the whole thing into a giant meme and you expect them to start shooting down Russian planes.
    Presently the UK is shitting itself because a bunch of infantry went AWOL to go fight in Ukraine, and now we’re scared they’ll get captured and Russia will use it as proof we’re intervening directly - because they’re serving soldiers and not volunteers or indeed “volunteers” with properly scrubbed backgrounds.

Paid contractors are similarly sketchy because there’s still paper trails with licensing and such. Somewhere along the line a NATO country rubber stamps it.

The issue with the aircraft is that they’re not viewed entirely as defensive armaments, they can as Russia are demonstrating be very offensive. Giving Ukraine the means to shoot down planes with SAMs however is absolutely fine, it’s purely defensive. Hence the UK looking at handing over some Starstreak systems, though it remains to be seen if the Friends of Russia in government ultimately go along with it.

It’s just one of those utterly bullshit things where while Russia are blatantly breaking laws and conventions as a matter of routine, NATO has to tread incredibly carefully so as not to get called on it to see it escalate further.
    Last edited by Jessicka; 2022-03-09 at 11:27 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    It’s just one of those utterly bullshit things where while Russia are blatantly breaking laws and conventions as a matter of routine, NATO has to tread incredibly carefully so as not to get called on it to see it escalate further.
    Price of mistakes there is high, as Russia itself can attest to.

You don't want an "oopsie" there. Again it's a simple case of what you gain vs what you can potentially lose.

Absolutely smartest thing for US/NATO right now is just to sit there and chew on that popcorn, because they got a huge win out of all this already and relatively a freebie at that. They aren't about to upset that for no reason that actually matters for them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Presently the UK is shitting itself because a bunch of infantry went AWOL to go fight in Ukraine, and now we’re scared they’ll get captured and Russia will use it as proof we’re intervening directly - because they’re serving soldiers and not volunteers or indeed “volunteers” with properly scrubbed backgrounds.
    Wouldn't they be kicked out the moment they went awol?

Paid contractors are similarly sketchy because there’s still paper trails with licensing and such. Somewhere along the line a NATO country rubber stamps it.

The issue with the aircraft is that they’re not viewed entirely as defensive armaments, they can as Russia are demonstrating be very offensive. Giving Ukraine the means to shoot down planes with SAMs however is absolutely fine, it’s purely defensive. Hence the UK looking at handing over some Starstreak systems, though it remains to be seen if the Friends of Russia in government ultimately go along with it.

Seems like they are in good company with 20,000 people from 52 countries.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    Wouldn't they be kicked out the moment they went awol?
    Not necessarily "kicked out", but it would be illegal, sure.

The Guardian: The UK transport secretary, Grant Shapps, has warned against British soldiers traveling to Ukraine to illegally fight, saying it is a “dangerous situation”.
    He told ITV’s Good Morning Britain:

"You cannot go and fight if you’re in the British Army, you cannot just get up and go and fight. Of course that’s inappropriate behaviour and you would expect the army to have some very, very strict rules in place, as they do."

Asked what Russia might do if a British soldier was captured or killed, PA reports that Shapps said:

"There’s a big difference between Britain sending its army in and some people who are breaking with our law and going to do it."

"But, clearly, this is a dangerous situation. And clearly, we want to make sure that the assistance we’re providing is done in an official way - like the anti-tank missiles that we provided prior to and during this conflict, and like the 22,000 Ukrainians that we’ve trained."

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Some former South Korean special forces also went to Ukraine. Despite threat of jail, fine and loss of passport.

I think it has something to do with fighting in a war with clearly defined good and evil sides.
    Last edited by Rasulis; 2022-03-09 at 11:47 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some former South Korean special forces also went to Ukraine. Despite threat of jail, fine and loss of passport.
    "Former" is definitely less noteworthy than "current", however, from a "creating a pretext for war" standpoint.

- - - Updated - - -

I think it has something to do with fighting in a war with clearly defined good and evil sides.
    Well, duh. This is why pretty much the whole world is on the same side of this.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

7+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't trust Ukraine's claim at 20.000 soldiers, perhaps 20.000 total including aid workers but still 20.000 soldiers? Fat chance. Still a bunch of properly trained infantry members and special forces can make a difference. The issue for Ukraine isn't even equipping them: They have plenty of solid small arms to give them.

The issue is that light infantry forces just aren't enough to change the situation on the ground. They help but with Ukraine's armored forces unable to do more then just as operate as glorified gun emplacements in urban areas Russia has an enormous advantage

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    Gotta say that the jet fighter dance is getting ridiculous. And giving more MANPADs will not solve the AA issue, those are literally the last line of defense against planes.
    Poland: Here Ukraine, have our fighter jets free of charge!

United States: Good plan buddy!

"Russian bear starts growling"

Poland "sweating": On second thought we'll just fly them here to Germany and give them to the US, he's got it handled.

United States "panicked": What?!

"Growling intensifies"

Germany: Are you two quite done?
    Last edited by CostinR; 2022-03-10 at 12:06 AM.
    "Life is one long series of problems to solve. The more you solve, the better a man you become.... Tribulations spawn in life and over and over again we must stand our ground and face them."

I also do not trust that tens of thousands of volunteers are coming to fight there. Absolutely expect some of them to never get to Ukraine, some never getting further than Lviv and some just doing some photo sessions. Plus you cannot integrate them that fast, Ukraine in general is not good with speaking English.
    Plus yeah - pure infantry won't win this. It can delay the inevitable, though, which might be useful for peace deal.
    Last edited by Easo; 2022-03-10 at 12:05 AM.
    Take that haters.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    It can delay the inevitable, though, which might be useful for peace deal.
    I agree with Macron on this. I just don't see how a peace deal can happen. Ukraine and Russia both refuse to concede any points.
    "Life is one long series of problems to solve. The more you solve, the better a man you become.... Tribulations spawn in life and over and over again we must stand our ground and face them."

Quote Originally Posted by CostinR View Post
    I agree with Macron on this. I just don't see how a peace deal can happen. Ukraine and Russia both refuse to concede any points.
    We shall see. Never underestimate realpolitik, Russia is interested in finishing this ASAP, too.
    Or we all are totally wrong and Russia will go to the end and occupy everything.

Both delegations have now arrived in Turkey for the meeting of both Foreign Ministers.
    Take that haters.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CostinR View Post
    On the contrary, they already conceded on a few. Ukraine agreed to not seek NATO admission and Russia are no longer aiming for government change or pro-Russian PM.

You have 2 things now - Crimea and Donbas. I don't expect Russia to give a millimeter in regards to Crimea and IMO Ukraine will have to swallow that one, Donbas on the other hand - I do believe they can reach some middle ground.

- - - Updated - - -

Now, of course it all might just be a ruse for Russia to get time regroup and push through. They still can say "fuck it" and go full ham any moment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Now, of course it all might just be a ruse for Russia to get time regroup and push through. They still can say "fuck it" and go full ham any moment.
    Of course that's what it is.

They violated their "respect Ukraine's borders" deal when they invaded Crimea, then they violated that "we totes just want Crimea" sentiment with this further invasion. Russia's word is dirt.

Russia was never worried about NATO invading them. They never gave a shit about nazis or whatever excuse they conjured up. It's solely based on wanting Ukraine's resources and a slow rebuilding of the Soviet Union.

If Ukraine accepts anything that cedes land to Russia, Russia will just do this same thing again in oh, say, five years... except next time they wont be so laughably under-prepared with an economy the rest of the world basically just yanks out from under them.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2022-03-10 at 12:36 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Yea...a fight that seems clearly defined with a cause that can be believed in...a fight that can be proudly fought.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    It's solely based on wanting Ukraine's resources
    It's not really about Ukraine's resources or even USSR.

It's about retaining influence in the region and keeping ex-Soviet states in check. Ukraine dared to go against Russia and this is not something that Russia could afford to let slide, because there are half a dozen other such states around looking at it and taking notes.

Now Russia fucked this one up, but I am sure that many of these ex-Soviet republics are now shitting bricks after seeing what happened to cheeky Ukraine. Russia got fucked quite a bit, but it does not mean it can't target switch and fuck up another audacious state or two bordering it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    So, how’s that going again? Let me know when it’s a done deal. Then check on the initial objection. Which was to the idea that this deal was in place already. Which it clearly isn’t.
    Pretty good. I encourage you to review my statements on the matter. What I rejected was that the deal was definitely kaput. Given the info we had at the time, it was premature to reach that conclusion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I never made such a claim. Next time check before you attempt a gotcha. And it’s not going pretty good.
    Now it's not. Back then it was.

Times change and there have been multiple back-and-forths.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils