Quote Originally Posted by sirmixalot View Post
    Yes, that happens in Russia as well.

Conscription means all kinds of people end up in army, both those willing to mistreat others for various reasons and those that can snap under such treatment; and they all have access to deadly weaponry.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sirmixalot View Post
    Not news to anyone, most of ex-Soviet republics and that includes Russia and Ukraine have badly mismanaged regular army.

You have generals there who are little more than common thieves and many siphon off equipment and facilities for their own benefit. Then the conscripts are their own bunch of trouble - intimidation and coercion there is rife and you don't want to end on the wrong end of the cliques and "traditions" rolling there unrestrained for many decades. Being a good guy does not work there.

Anyone who can dodge draft - does so and for the good reason.

Gjedovschina is mostly gone by now, though, in Russia and afaik in Ukraine too. Excesses such as these are rare.
    Gaidax, Russian regulars are overall doing fine now. The good old "build dacha for the general" is pretty much a thing of the past.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    Gjedovschina is mostly gone by now, though, in Russia and afaik in Ukraine too. Excesses such as these are rare.
    Gaidax, Russian regulars are overall doing fine now. The good old "build dacha for the general" is pretty much a thing of the past.
    All still there can assure you. Just recently read some amusing piece on that about how various bases use their facilities. Same goes for thievery and such - Russia is huge, nobody cares to really see what's going on in various bases hell knows where.

Ukraine same same, really, corruption is rife. I bet much of this military assistance they get will end up in hands of hell knows who for $$ resold by various "generals" and their friends.

It's dedovschina btw.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well at least we know whatever Putin does he has the approval of 80% of Russians surveyed if I remember correctly.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Well at least we know whatever Putin does he has the approval of 80% of Russians surveyed if I remember correctly.
    105% of all Russians also voted for him, he's so popular.

People are literally falling out of windows in support of him!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    105% of all Russians also voted for him, he's so popular.

People are literally falling out of windows in support of him!
    https://www.gallup-international.com...al-Leaders.pdf Page 7 79% of Russians Approve of Putin

It's a Gallup Poll and fairly reliable in the States.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Polls like those are kinda silly when people have been getting prison sentences for over a decade when they criticize Putin.
    Have they?

I mean I have for sure heard of Putin killing and targeting his rivals, but over all he is well loved and liked in Russia, Not like Irag or Afganistan where the people didn't have much freedom of choice. So any conflict in Ukraine or anywhere else is pretty well understood from the Russian perspective.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pussy. Riot.
    Are they targeted because they criticize him or because they perform in away the majority of Russia disapproves of?

Not saying I know either way or suggesting, because I don't. But Putin is HUGLY HUGLY popular in Russia

Not saying I know either way or suggesting, because I don't. But Putin is HUGLY HUGLY popular in Russia
    Da, comrade. Putin is my favorite person on the Citadel. And I say this not because I risk falling down 23 flights of stairs onto 12 knives that just happened to be laying blade-up at the bottom.

https://www.gallup-international.com...al-Leaders.pdf Page 7 79% of Russians Approve of Putin

It's a Gallup Poll and fairly reliable in the States.
    I guess the number '2017' is significant. His support has declined in recent years, https://www.statista.com/statistics/...rating-russia/

65% isn't catastrophic either (which is good), and even if some might lie there are still a significant number that support him. Part of that is due to propaganda - and part is that it was messier before him.

Again, your proof that he’s massively popular is entirely based on respondents knowing he’s a murderous asshole
    barring the dissident bit, as Russian citizens could not fathom their great leader being evil, the part of Putin being a murderous asshole is actually seen as a sign of strength, him being seen as a leader who takes shit from no one.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

10+ Year Old Account
    Your “insights” are about as useful as a screen door on a submarine. Stick to pretending you don’t understand the obvious instead of nation bashing.

Well people love Trump and Desantis for the same reason.

Their approval among their party is in the 70s

10+ Year Old Account
    Putin's approval ratings are genuinely high.

Now you can of course say it's because he had decades of information and education to steer it in that direction in addition to removing credible opposition and you'd be somewhat right. But it does not change the end result anyway.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Putin's approval ratings are genuinely high.

Now you can of course say it's because he had decades of information and education to steer it in that direction in addition to removing credible opposition and you'd be somewhat right. But it does not change the end result anyway.
    Approval ratings in a dictatorship are kind of meaningless.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Not entirely, if the approval ratings go low enough there might be a coup.

The dictator knows that - and that's why they aim for at least ok-ish approval ratings.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    Not entirely, if the approval ratings go low enough there might be a coup.

The dictator knows that - and that's why they aim for at least ok-ish approval ratings.
    So dictators do stuff that keeps their people somewhat "happy" to not get murdered. Yeah, or they indoctrinate them to not murder them, or they simply control the polls and re-educate the ones that thought about giving a bad approval rating.

Meaningless
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

So dictators do stuff that keeps their people somewhat "happy" to not get murdered. Yeah, or they indoctrinate them to not murder them, or they simply control the polls and re-educate the ones that thought about giving a bad approval rating.
    "Simply control the polls" is recipe to be blindsided - like in case of Lukashenko when he had to scramble against sudden rebellion and wasn't sure who still supported him.

Putin keeps polls more or less independent and reacts to them to avoid that - sometimes with preemptive (or reactive) crackdowns (like in case of Navalny when he started to flirt with street protests a bit too often), sometimes with genuine responses to various worries.

As another example, Medvedev-Putin switch was based on poll data; if Medvedev would poll better then Putin he would stay President for longer.
    Last edited by Shalcker; 2022-01-27 at 10:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    All still there can assure you. Just recently read some amusing piece on that about how various bases use their facilities. Same goes for thievery and such - Russia is huge, nobody cares to really see what's going on in various bases hell knows where.

Ukraine same same, really, corruption is rife. I bet much of this military assistance they get will end up in hands of hell knows who for $$ resold by various "generals" and their friends.

It's dedovschina btw.
    It's not comparable to what it was, far from it. Sure it is still Russia, blah blah, but we really need to meme less. Even in Putin's tsardom someone is regularly put in jail for this. When you start switching to professional army most contractors are not going to build your dacha, no matter how much rank you try to pull, especially when there is pressure from the very top about clearing shit up. After all, they need the army to protect said top
    P.S.
    It actually is дедовщина if we want to smartass and I can't be bothered to check the grammar too much when writing in translit.

Last I checked it was on the rise in Russia. Probably something to do with where Putin is taking things.
    And what would be the source for that...? Just to be clear, are we talking about hazing/stealing from army/both?

Yes, but that doesn't change that Putin generally is popular. You have to accept that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    An unpopular dictatorship runs the risk of being overthrown a lot more.