So let's suppose I am coming back without having played since February

What would be the first 3 things I'd need to do in order to get some upgrades? Taking into account I won't be bothering with M+ due to low ilvl or doing real raiding. I would be willing to pvp if that's the best way to get some gear but just wondering where I'd want to go and stuff like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Berndorf View Post
    What would be the first 3 things I'd need to do in order to get some upgrades? Taking into account I won't be bothering with M+ due to low ilvl or doing real raiding. I would be willing to pvp if that's the best way to get some gear but just wondering where I'd want to go and stuff like that.
    out of curiosity, what makes u want to come back?

Quote Originally Posted by Goat7 View Post
    out of curiosity, what makes u want to come back?
    Just felt like maybe ****ing around on a couple of characters. Nothing that has actually been released in the last year.

Just felt like maybe ****ing around on a couple of characters. Nothing that has actually been released in the last year.
    well as the great Project Pat once said "Don't save her, she don't wanna be saved"

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    did you have a lot of stygia saved up? if you do the Korthia intro you can buy ilvl 200 gear right off the bat using stygia. you can then upgrade it via the archivists codex but you need to farm a bit to do that however if you have the time farming is a lot easier since 9.1.5. there is also an item that you can buy which upgrades all of your conduits to 200ilvl - I would definitely do that first before doing anything else. other than that 9.1 stuff; the 2 a week assaults in the Maw give gear, the world boss gives gear, some of the dailies in Korthia give gear as well.

edit: ok so the Incense of Infinity (200 ilvl conduit item) requires 80 renown. I am assuming you're 40 but catching up is quite quick, should only take a few hours
    Last edited by MrLachyG; 2021-12-21 at 09:48 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Feel free to come back and ignore the usual sky is falling forum BS.

You will have plenty of story and such. There is a new megadungeon which is pretty cool, even if Blizz managed to pretty much obsolete it from a get go. You can also switch covenants at will now and there are various alt improvements.

Finally - you have Mage Tower time walking going on right now, which is a pretty cool challenge content that does not require any gear to do - get recolor mythic raid sets from Legion for your characters and if you complete all 7 challenges - unique mount.

The issues are mostly cropping up when you run out of content to do, which is pretty fast with 9.1. But until then it's fine to just mess around with the game.

This forum has a lot of unsubbed people. Those that chase you away are probably that.

Start by just doing covenant borrowed powers + lfr/normal/heroic + korthia.

Just start and do the story quests. Everything else will come with it. Low M+ doesn't take much iLvl at all and normal raiding neither.
    M+ and PvP are probably the best ways to get gear fast.

And ignore those ever present Debby Downers in this forum who like nothing more than take fun away from you.
    If you have fun in wow you are wrong in their opinion. Because only their opinions matter.
    If you have fun. Play it. if you don't, don't.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Get your legendary capped. That you can now do in a couple of days grind, or a week. You choose your pace as restrictions have been lifted.

Buy the AH mythic or HC gear. Usually 2/4 pieces that give you a sweet boost.

Run a LFR, last two wings are a bit decent ilvl to cach up.

Complete 5 TW for a 226 ilvl

Buy one of the unique equip 230ilvl blues from the last patch craftables (on the ah) available to any slot, but only one.

Do not invest on your weist, come next patch, that become a new legendary anyway.

Run a M+, even if you do not care, for yet another ilvl slot boost.

Then you should be good on the ilvl 220ish, ready for some HC raid fights. Then 230 should come easily and from there up as much as you want anyway.

I would not bother with the Kortia grind to upgrade ilvls 200.... in the time you upgrade one, you might as well be ready for HC raiding and do a full run lol

Catch up with the story, do the weekly activities (Jailer forces quest, The Maw assaults, Tormentors of Thorgast - all of those have a pretty good chance of dropping nice items in the ~220 ilvl range). Korthia Dailies often offer gear, rare mobs drop it too. World Boss in the Maw has a chance of dropping 233 ilvl item. Farm lege currency in Thorgast.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    This forum has a lot of unsubbed people. Those that chase you away are probably that.
    I agree. I'm myself unsubbed and I don't like when people tell others what to do.
    If you want to play the game, it's your choice. WoW is still one of the best MMORPG.
    What else are you going to play? New World? Trash. Final Fantasy 14? I won't call it trash but the core game is not my type and I strongly dislike it. Guild Wars 2 and Elder Scrolls Online are great, but way different from WoW.

I'm going to get called out on this, but my favorite way of acquiring gear is paying about €100 to get boosted to 1800 in arenas and then just farm conquest to buy gear.

Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    Get your legendary capped. That you can now do in a couple of days grind, or a week. You choose your pace as restrictions have been lifted.

Buy the AH mythic or HC gear. Usually 2/4 pieces that give you a sweet boost.

Run a LFR, last two wings are a bit decent ilvl to cach up.

Complete 5 TW for a 226 ilvl

Buy one of the unique equip 230ilvl blues from the last patch craftables (on the ah) available to any slot, but only one.

Do not invest on your weist, come next patch, that become a new legendary anyway.

Run a M+, even if you do not care, for yet another ilvl slot boost.

Then you should be good on the ilvl 220ish, ready for some HC raid fights. Then 230 should come easily and from there up as much as you want anyway.

I would not bother with the Kortia grind to upgrade ilvls 200.... in the time you upgrade one, you might as well be ready for HC raiding and do a full run lol
    Thank you for the elaborate answer i resubbed yesterday and i am casually lvling in SoM and in TBC classic during the afternoon and i was wondering what i could do in retail WoW as well.

BTW what's TW? Torghast?

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ek0zu View Post
    Thank you for the elaborate answer i resubbed yesterday and i am casually lvling in SoM and in TBC classic during the afternoon and i was wondering what i could do in retail WoW as well.

BTW what's TW? Torghast?
    Timewalking

You farm fragments in Korthia for a few weeks and then realize that it's nowhere near enough and that you have to keep farming for many more, then say screw it, and do some M+ instead.

To be honest, you may as well wait until the next patch.

Without knowing what your current gear looks like it's hard to tell. If you were fully decked out in 226 from season 1 there is very little you can get upgrades from casual playing.

But generally you want to get your renown up as quickly as possible (it should not really take more than two weeks from 40 to 80), as this allows many boa items to be bought and several quality if life improvements, like free covenant swaps and access to all conduits @200.

The best casual gearing you can get is from Korthia, rares and chests. I would not bother upgrading anything with a base level of below 213, you will get 220 as drops and from the weekly events quickly enough with increased renown. Theoretically you can upgrade those items to 233, but that still requires some severe grinding especially as you are still missing the rank 6 ease of life items.

Realistically that's it, unless you really want to invest time into pvp for conquest gear, or m+/raiding.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ek0zu View Post

BTW what's TW? Torghast?
    Timewrapped

We have Legion Timewrapped now. So you can do some Legion dungeons.

You can also do the Mage Tower challenge for, I think, a couple more weeks. There you need no gear as it will escalate it always down to ilvl 50. It is pretty hard and random for some specs tho, so gotta have a lot of patience ^^

But if you do not care about end game, TBC classic is the most fun leveling experience (imo)

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Timewrapped

You can also do the Mage Tower challenge for, I think, a couple more weeks. There you need no gear as it will escalate it always down to ilvl 50. It is pretty hard and random for some specs tho, so gotta have a lot of patience ^^

But if you do not care about end game, TBC classic is the most fun leveling experience (imo)
    I can’t tell if you’re being serious or not when you say Timewrapped lol

ty to everyone who gave advice.

Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    did you have a lot of stygia saved up? if you do the Korthia intro you can buy ilvl 200 gear right off the bat using stygia. you can then upgrade it via the archivists codex but you need to farm a bit to do that however if you have the time farming is a lot easier since 9.1.5. there is also an item that you can buy which upgrades all of your conduits to 200ilvl - I would definitely do that first before doing anything else. other than that 9.1 stuff; the 2 a week assaults in the Maw give gear, the world boss gives gear, some of the dailies in Korthia give gear as well.

edit: ok so the Incense of Infinity (200 ilvl conduit item) requires 80 renown. I am assuming you're 40 but catching up is quite quick, should only take a few hours
    How is catching up a few hours when you can only earn so much renown a week even though there isn't a limit on how much you can earn now? Mythics, dailies, weeklies, LFR bosses, etc all give a single renown. That's not a few hours to catch up. I also think the last 3-5 renown levels can only be earned by doing the weeklies which is still 2 weeks at best.

- - - Updated - - -

Timewrapped

How do you start those Mage Tower Challenges?