Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Will Voss Develop into a prominent Character or just replaced?

Always had a sweet spot for Lillian Voss. One because I found her interesting as a Character, but my aunt Lillian died of cancer a year Prior to cata and its almost like she was ressed in WoW

Anyway, what does people think of her as a Character? One of the few WoW original characters like Garrosh and Yrel, and I think we need more of those. You can acknowledge the past without having it being the center point all the time.

Though I feel as if Blizzard mishandled her in BFA. She had problems accepting her new self and when her own father tried to have her killed she embraced it, hunting the scarlet crusade down and necromancers. In bfa she’s fine with Sylvanas attempting at controlling Derek

Honestly I hope they stick with her. I think its Damn time we got an actual forsaken in charge and not an elf or a lightforged. None of the major forsaken characters use the forsaken model
    An'u belore delen'na

Should have stayed a throw-away starting zone character.

10+ Year Old Account
    MTG ripoff

Quote Originally Posted by choom View Post
    Should have stayed a throw-away starting zone character.
    Scam Citizen referral code: STAR-2YL2-XDTX|get 5,000 UEC

The idea to have Voss replace Sylvanas was beyond laughable in Cataclysm when her primary trait was hating undead and herself. She's only better nowadays because she was effectively rewritten in BFA to be more palatable and because the alternative is Calia, compared to whom even Voss is a champion of Forsaken identity.

That said there's no harm in keeping her BFA version around as a support character, since she's more than fine for what she is, provided it's accompanied by bringing back Lydon, Belmont, Faranell etc.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryFromHumanResources View Post
    She doesn't have a unique model, rather she's just dressed up in generic warfront armour afaik

That's probably your answer right there
    Eh, having a generic model didn't stop Gazlowe from being airdropped into Gallywix's spot any more than did him being from a different cartel. What's really stopping Voss is that the writers still desperately want to put Calia in as the Forsaken leader and everything surrounding Voss is just a way to build Calia up while they continually get delayed in actually pulling the trigger. Being a seatwarmer for their golden child is what keeps her far more so than budget reasons.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

She was pretty mucxh abandoned storywise after the last time you meet her, and she was presumed dead when we ventred into Scholo, In mists i believe only to return in the rogue ordehall in legion randomly.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryFromHumanResources View Post
    True, but I don't know that I consider Gazlowe a very prominent character just because he leads the goblins.

Prominent in my eyes would be like Jaina, Anduin and co.

I don't see Voss being given that level of importance in the story
    I get you. She was a B-list character in BFA, comparable to Jaina's mom or Memeboi. She'll never go up to A-lister like the core Bland Gang of Anduin, Baine and Jaina, but she has all the qualities needed for a recurring supporting character like the Gob Squad or Shaw. It's just that she'll never hit faction leader status since she's Calia's cabbie.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Dickmann View Post
    I get you. She was a B-list character in BFA, comparable to Jaina's mom or Memeboi. She'll never go up to A-lister like the core Bland Gang of Anduin, Baine and Jaina, but she has all the qualities needed for a recurring supporting character like the Gob Squad or Shaw. It's just that she'll never hit faction leader status since she's Calia's cabbie.
    Jaina's mom got cinematic screen time several times, if that makes her B-list then Voss is C-list.

Another "quality" Super Dickmann giving us a glimpse into the mind of one of the most cynical, dismissive, and reductionist members of the fandom.

5+ Year Old Account
    Jaina's mom got cinematic screen time several times, if that makes her B-list then Voss is C-list.
    Very much this. Voss (her BfA version, at least) might be OK as part of a hypothetical Forsaken ruling council, along with the likes of Velonara or Belmont - but it is not going to happen. Voss is nothing but Calia's frontwoman, because we really need even MORE Anduin clones running the Horde races.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

10+ Year Old Account
    I once had hope that she will become the new leader of the Forsaken now I feel she was built up for nothing.

I think that Voss was used as the token Forsaken character even if it didn't make a lot of sense for the character itself.

She initially had a pretty solid character arc, with her being a reluctant undead, refusing to join the Forsaken, having her own vendetta against the Scarlet Crusade, then wanting to kill necromancers like Gandling. This was a great storyline to follow.

It made little sense to have her make a come back in Legion and suddently being more than fine with helping Forsaken like she was part of the faction. Until that point she was more of a free agent. Her presence in BFA made little sense for the character, and having her represent the Forsaken now is just the opposite of how she was developped in Cataclysm.

She was kind of unique and apart from the regular Forsaken, making her a really interesting character, but I don't think she's the same character anymore. She could be any Forsaken character and it wouldn't be very different for the plot.

7+ Year Old Account
    are you guys even serious, of course she will be replaced for Calia, to be the new sylvanas but less gothic

they tried like 2 times, but the community was so against they are doing slowly, when we lest expect, boom, she is the leader.

I'm actually surprised they made her as big as she is considering she's a parody character. But I guess most of WoW's characters and lore are...

NaTHANOS and Lady Death (Sylv)...

Arthas (Inverse Arthur)

etc

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post

I'm actually surprised they made her as big as she is considering she's a parody character. But I guess most of WoW's characters and lore are...

Arthas (Inverse Arthur)

etc
    Yeah. Saurfang became a huge character after being mostly known as a the cleave meme character.

- - - Updated - - -

I hope we get to a point in WoW where we get more than the faction leaders with unique models and developed narratives.
    I like Lillian. I liked the Desolate Council. I like Calia. I hope there's space for more than one of these characters to get a narrative spotlight.
    I love Lor'themar's model. I was hyped for Liadrin after she got unique weapons from her hearthstone design, I thought she was going to get the rest. I want them and Rommath to get unique looks and attention as well. I wish every race had this ecosystem of main characters to develop story with.

Even if Lilian doesn't turn out to be a racial leader, I still hope to see her. I liked her arc, I liked her story with Zelling. I say put her in stuff in the future.
    Personally, I like Calia for forsaken leader. Considering both her and Lillian have this rehabilitative approach to undeath, I'd like to see them collaborate on that.

And just preemptively, Super Dickmann (if you're reading this), I know you dislike everything about this I'm sure. I'm not pointing it out in any malicious way. Just hoping to prevent any hostile replies Besides, I totally agree with you on:
    "That said there's no harm in keeping her BFA version around as a support character, since she's more than fine for what she is, provided it's accompanied by bringing back Lydon, Belmont, Faranell etc."

Lillian Voss was a fun minor character for Cata questing, but the fact that people are even considering her for "the next Forsaken faction" leader speaks volumes about the handling of the Forsaken in WoW's storyline.

Voss had dialog in early Shadowlands alpha: Apparently she was supposed to have her own storyline that acted as the horde counterpart to Shandris' story. But it got cut early on.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Lillian Voss was a fun minor character for Cata questing, but the fact that people are even considering her for "the next Forsaken faction" leader speaks volumes about the handling of the Forsaken in WoW's storyline.
    Because Forsaken players actually like Voss, unlike Calia. Calia might be the worst a character has ever been forced upon the audience. No one likes her.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post

Arthas (Inverse Arthur)

etc
    I don't think you know what a parody is. I don't think it can even be considered an homage.

So was Ga'nar and Lady Moonberry. Cinematic presence is moot in arguing narrative presence. Voss' function is to build up Calia and she has her own mini-arc in BFA, wasted by Calia.

Sylvanas is the Forsaken leader. Everything else is narrative dross. @Hugnomo don't worry I agree with you about it in general. Voss is a perfectly functional character, she just lacks the gravitas to take over. Her covering for Zelling's family and coming around to the Forsaken is fine, just rushed.

@cparle87

You're free to dispute my point if you can. Voss is a narrative vessel for Calia's subversion and destruction of 15 years of Forsaken identity.
    Last edited by Super Dickmann; 2021-12-24 at 01:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ersula View Post
    Because Forsaken players actually like Voss, unlike Calia. Calia might be the worst a character has ever been forced upon the audience. No one likes her.
    Yes, Voss is far more likeable than Calia, but Voss is really scraping the bottom of the barrel trying to find a "prominent" Forsaken character.

I've said this before, but the Forsaken were conceptually not set up to be a faction that could last more than a few years in the Warcraft storyline. Nobody likes the Forsaken. They're trapped in the Eastern Kingdoms. They were pretty much set up to be a fodder villain faction that would have been taken out early on like the Defias Brotherhood or the Scarlet Crusade. As such, they never really got any major characters besides Sylvanas. This is especially notable during the Battle for the Undercity event, which should have resulted in the end of the Forsaken. Blizzard had to bend over backwards with contrivances to keep the Forsaken from being wiped out. Shoehorning the Forsaken into the Horde was a bad move and led to a war storyline that could not resolve in a way that would satisfy most of the playerbase.

With Sylvanas about to leave the picture, that leaves the Forsaken with... nobody, really. Except minor questing characters like Voss, or asspulls like Calia.

I don't get what's the deal with Voss, why is that character a thing? Is it another self insert, a token by one of the quest writers? The story and characters are already inconsistent and all over the place, there is no point in throwing more into the mess.
    Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    Blizzard do what the players want all the time.