Poll: Do you think the new RIOT MMORPG will dominate the MMORPG Market?

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Yes, I think it will be bigger (not just at launch) than WoW, FFXIV or Ashes of Creation.
    But personally I doubt that I'll play it.

10+ Year Old Account
    MMO's don't excite me anymore, WoW birthed and destroyed my love for the genre. and bless those that are excited for the RIOT or Ashes of Creation game, I wish I had that drive, but I put 15 years into WoW, at 38 years old I dont think I can afford to put another 15 into another one lol

But you guys do you. I wish you all well

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    I don't know what you're talking about.

Whether LoL is the most popular videogame ever or not is irrelevant to my point, because it's still extremely popular. That was my point. The K/DA music video had half a billion views on youtube for example, one music video has more views than all the cinematics Blizzard has ever put on youtube.

Maybe it is not the most played game on PC, but it's still insanely popular and the masses will check out its MMO. It's not some obscure IP.
    They made a video game, a musical act, and a TV show all of which are hits and well received. Outside of unsafe working conditions at their workplace there isn't much they can do wrong. :P
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    You act as if game design was the sole determinator of WoW's meteoric rise and fall. It was not. When WoW launched it came in a pre-social media era where the idea of playing online with other people was still a novelty. Finding random people over the internet to play the same game as you was impossible. WoW was the most accessible and mainstream online game of its time so if you were interested in playing an online game, you played WoW. By the 2010s people's available options had become quite diverse, and people had figured out how to find other online communities, so if you want to play an online game you weren't limited to just playing WoW. Same reason why radio rose and fell, or the theaters rose and fell, or television rose and fell. Warcraft's powermetal aesthetics stopped being in vogue at the turn of the decade. It's no surprise that stuff like Minecraft and anime with feminized designs started becoming trendy while Warcraft was on its way out the door. Even if WoW's game design was hypothetically amazing, WoW still couldn't avoid the other societal forces that were at work.

- - - Updated - - -
    While those things definitely have an impact, and I'm aware I'm speaking from a very limited perspective of my own bubble. Literally all of my friends quit after the first raid. I did too, although I came back for MoP and have been trying to find a main I enjoyed as much as I did "classic era" warrior ever since, with something always preventing me from really enjoying the game. I've lately come to the realization that LFR + Mythic+ instantly repel me and leave a very bad taste in my mouth so I can't play the game like I used to in vanilla/TBC/Wrath where I could just get a random group, make some friends and have some fun in dungeons with strangers.

And that started with LFR, although dungeons were still something I could do and not be immediately put off by, and later on Mythic+ and my options were almost null at that point on how to gear up without being repulsed by the game's overbearing gearing loop. And that's from someone that did countless and countless SV+Mechanaar runs to complete my Beastlord's set.

WoW creating an environment for the unguilded gearing loop where socialization is removed and everything becomes a race is what put me off WoW. I didn't replace it with anything, my friends didn't replace it with anything. The game was just not for us anymore.

ps: With Wrath's return, guess who went back to playing and are now levelling a merry band again? Also guess who are likely going to leave as soon as it ends? :/

10+ Year Old Account

Whether LoL is the most popular videogame ever or not is irrelevant to my point, because it's still extremely popular. That was my point. The K/DA music video had half a billion views on youtube for example, one music video has more views than all the cinematics Blizzard has ever put on youtube.

Maybe it is not the most played game on PC, but it's still insanely popular and the masses will check out its MMO. It's not some obscure IP.
    Does anyone really still play LoL nowadays? The hype is long gone and everyone i know already quit ages ago. Their most active playerbase sits in asia who we don't notice. That is the main reason they will focus purely on the asian market for their MMO. Might be a big hit in Asia, but a big failure in Western world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

Arcane their animated show just won a Emmy in the animated category becoming the very first animated streaming show to win that award.

Great show for sure and i have zero interest in the lol game but the show is very well made and a blast to watch. Would have thought something like Rick and Morty would win that if anything but.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/9/5/23...gue-of-legends
    Last edited by ParanoiD84; 2022-09-07 at 03:20 PM.
    Do you hear the voices too?

Fuck, I forgot how good the song and music video are.

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    Does anyone really still play LoL nowadays? The hype is long gone and everyone i know already quit ages ago. Their most active playerbase sits in asia who we don't notice. That is the main reason they will focus purely on the asian market for their MMO. Might be a big hit in Asia, but a big failure in Western world.
    Nah, league is gigantic.
    And by Asia you mean China...because Japan hates league.

Im on a Portuguese discord of League and i have unread 9000 notification of people asking for someone to play with.
    League is insane popular.

It's no longer "king of the world", but it's still massive globally, not just in Asia.

And designing for Asia?

Teamfight Tactics was an autochess spinoff, not really focused on Asia.
    Wild Rift is just League mobile, still fairly global.
    Legends of Runterra is arguably far more western focused as it apes CCG's like Hearthstone (yes, there are plenty of others)
    Valorant is definitely globally focused and has a huge presence in the west.
    Ruined King and Hextech Mayhem were both pretty standard games as well, as are others they're working on like the fighting game.

Given that they are having a western lead on the project, it's being helmed out of their western offices, and it seems that recruiting is mostly for western developers right now, there's no indication to believe the MMO is being designed specifically for an Asian audience.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Fuck, I forgot how good the song and music video are.
    This one makes me cry everytime

10+ Year Old Account

Actually it is very relevant to your point: you made a baseless claim that was a lie... you got called out for it, you double-downed on being wrong... and now you are moving goalposts to avoid the shame.

What a shame.

- - - Updated - - -

Does anyone really still play LoL nowadays?

I would be understating if I said "yes, a metric fuck-ton of people" still play LoL. Even more so than Dota 2 at this moment, and Dota 2 has seen a resurgence in popularity in the past year.

The hype is long gone and everyone i know already quit ages ago.
    Time to expand your social circle. The fact that the IP saw a damn Netflix series adaptation very recently is a pretty damn good example of hype not being long gone.

Their most active playerbase sits in asia who we don't notice.
    Thank you for providing yet another example of how narrow your mind is.

That is the main reason they will focus purely on the asian market for their MMO. Might be a big hit in Asia, but a big failure in Western world.
    This must be another one of "Gimlix trying to get Banned Speed Runs" that you are very known for. If you spamming threads nonstop wasn't indication enough.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Roanda View Post
    This one makes me cry everytime
    I love this one. I also fucking adore "Awaken" and every single one of their Tales from Runterra.

honestly, I have never in my life played LoL nor do I plan to start. and yet... I have watched every one of the videos they have put out, I'm genuinely invested into the post 2014 lore (I've actualy probably read more tie in stories for it than I had for WoW and I STILL play WoW somtimes), I plan on buying their ruined king rpg once I have more time to play again and actualy make a dent in my existing to be played pile and I would absolutely be checking out their MMO.

and I don't think I'm particularly unique in that.

Rumor is that it's a top down game like Lost Ark. If so, it's pretty much DOA and won't hold a candle to WoW.
    No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. – Socrates

15+ Year Old Account
    I think they can pull it off. The fanbase is huge.
    I went on a rather huge cosplay event that lasted 7 days and basically every chick was a LoL or Final Fantasy character. Ha, that alone would bring me to the game.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Seen how AoC looks, they will have it very difficult. So I doubt it is a traditional MMO format... which automatically makes it a potential liability to itself through becoming a risk.

I hope, but at the same time it's most likely going to be F2P. Which probably means absolutely garbage monetisation.

Whether LoL is the most popular videogame ever or not is irrelevant to my point
    LOL, except that was your entire point. But it's okay, try to backpedal all you want.

It will be some free to play garbage most likely, If only some one could take Wildstars flair, Guild Wars 2 open world and WoW instanced PvE and mix them properly that would be the new king, but so far nothing beats WoW in the complete package.

Quote Originally Posted by Exodeus View Post
    It will be some free to play garbage most likely, If only some one could take Wildstars flair, Guild Wars 2 open world and WoW instanced PvE and mix them properly that would be the new king, but so far nothing beats WoW in the complete package.
    pff the only "good" thing WoW has is are it's non mmo components. they suck hard at the complete package.
    I had fun once, it was terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Icon View Post
    pff the only "good" thing WoW has is are it's non mmo components. they suck hard at the complete package.
    Yeah but just like it's engine, the separate components are held together with spaghetti code so you have to take all of it or none of it.

Honestly, MMOs are just not that interesting any longer. Nearly every game being made has some form of online/multiplayer component now and if you want to talk to people you just go to the Discord for a game. Couple that with the fact that most people have never really been into the idea of grouping up with random strangers and depending on them for their entertainment value and I think it's safe to say that no MMO will be huge again, not even WoW.

I have no doubt that Riot's MMO will do well enough, but the time of MMOs has come and gone. There will not be a big touchstone MMO again like WoW was.