Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Why hasn't a Democrat won Texas since 1994?

I'm genuinely curious as to why a Democrat hasn't won ANY statewide position since 1994. EVERY other state has had at least ONE Democrat win a position since then, even the reddest states.

10+ Year Old Account
    This guy is asking the exact same question.
    https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards...itics/80204647
    I'm genuinely curious as to why a Democrat hasn't won ANY statewide position since 1994. EVERY other state has had at least ONE Democrat win a position since then, even the reddest states.

You can compare notes.
    Government Affiliated Snark

I think Texan Democrats need to Vote Harder.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Republicans vote harder in Texas. Have you considered voting harder?

10+ Year Old Account
    My guess is it is due to political alignment being a part of their culture/identity.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Halloween Voter View Post
    This guy is asking the exact same question.
    https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards...itics/80204647

You can compare notes.
    Well...at least we know he's a VG addict that was likely born in 1990 now, lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bladeXcrasher View Post
    Well...at least we know he's a VG addict that was likely born in 1990 now, lol.
    That's the overall moral to the story. Dems saying "vote harder", is like when your parents told you to do your chores.
    Parents are basically the first form of government that people encounter. There's a ton of podcasters and their fans that project their unresolved Mommy Issues onto "teh DNC"!

Voting is the opposite of video games. You can't beat the end boss and walk away.
    Voting is a chore, you have to do it constantly. Otherwise fascists take over and turn your home into a pigsty.

Adults gotta put down their super nintendo and make time to vote. Then do it again next year, and next year ....

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Halloween Voter View Post
    That's the overall moral to the story. Dems saying "vote harder", is like when your parents told you to do your chores.
    Parents are basically the first form of government that people encounter. There's a ton of podcasters and their fans that project their unresolved Mommy Issues onto "teh DNC"!

Voting is the opposite of video games. You can't beat the end boss and walk away.
    Voting is a chore, you have to do it constantly. Otherwise fascists take over and turn your home into a pigsty.

Adults gotta put down their super nintendo and make time to vote. Then do it again next year, and next year ....
    I do my yearly 'vote straight Dem ticket' in TX, whether gerrymandering affects me or not (used to live in Crenshaws gerrymandered to all he'll district).

Habit.

Democracy is a habit, not a chore.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

15+ Year Old Account
    As a Texan, the answer is very simple.

Texas is so large that a narrow majority of its population is still made up of uneducated, religious hicks who live in sparsely populated rural counties. These people vote straight ticket Republican for the most part, either out of habit or ideology.

The Democrats should be throwing their money at Garza, who has the best chance of winning out of any Democrat in Texas, not twice-failed Beto.

I simply don't understand Democrats' strategy.

10+ Year Old Account
    large rural populations, Republican is an identity for many down here, gerrymandering districts, lazy entitled youth. Take your pick.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CastletonSnob View Post
    The Democrats should be throwing their money at Garza, who has the best chance of winning out of any Democrat in Texas, not twice-failed Beto.

I simply don't understand Democrats' strategy.
    Why would anyone back a person that had no interest in the governs race?

Quote Originally Posted by bladeXcrasher View Post
    Why would anyone back a person that had no interest in the governs race?
    There are more positions up for grabs than just governor.

7+ Year Old Account
    There are more positions up for grabs than just governor.
    Yeah, Beto is running for Governor, and that's who you apparently have beef with.

If the fact that Abbotts only resort as far as ads against Beto go is trying to tie him to "Biden's Inflation" goes to show how little Republicans have against him.

Texas ranks 46TH in voting access.

https://www.axios.com/local/austin/2...ccess-rankings

Maybe remember this next time, before you criticize Texans for not being able to vote their politicians out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Forget the undatable doomers. Texas early voting started this week.

More than 60,000 registered voters in Harris County decided Monday they couldn't wait any longer to cast a ballot for their choices in the 2022 midterm election.

Monday was the first day of early voting in Texas, and more than one out of every 50 Harris County voters turned out to cast their ballots, according to the Harris County Elections Administration office. Voters this year are casting votes for Texas governor and Harris County judge, along with dozens of other state and local races. In Harris County, a printed-out ballot would be 20 pages long, officials said

Few problems were reported at the county's 99 early voting locations Monday, but voters did find themselves standing in line waiting to cast their votes.

Thankyou to those 60,000 and others for voting harder.

THIS is how to qualify for mail-in voting in Texas:

To be eligible to vote early by mail in Texas, you must:
    • be 65 years or older;
    • be sick or disabled;
    • be out of the county on election day and during the period for early voting by personal appearance; or
    • be expected to give birth within three weeks before or after Election Day; or
    • be confined in jail, but otherwise eligible.

But tell me more about how Texans "just need to vote harder!", or how Texans "deserve" to suffer under their politicians, because of voter suppression.

THIS is how to qualify for mail-in voting in Texas:

To be eligible to vote early by mail in Texas, you must:
    • be 65 years or older;
    • be sick or disabled;
    • be out of the county on election day and during the period for early voting by personal appearance; or
    • be expected to give birth within three weeks before or after Election Day; or
    • be confined in jail, but otherwise eligible.

But tell me more about how Texans "just need to vote harder!", or how Texans "deserve" to suffer under their politicians, because of voter suppression.
    Yeah, that all sucks. But you can't fix those things just by whining about it. When voting is hard...you need to vote harder.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    large rural populations, Republican is an identity for many down here, gerrymandering districts, lazy entitled youth. Take your pick.
    Southern Strategy.

Crissi is correct here. Before the Southern Strategy went into full effect, Texans and other southerners called themselves Yellow Dog Democrats. Basically they were instituted into voting only for the Dem party. Now the history of the southern Dems, is well you know. A very strange alliance when you think of them and Liberal Dems of North.

Not until these Yellow Dogs found a home or in my opinion seized the Republican Party, remember they were invited in by Nixon, Reagan and co., they voted in the 90's for Democrats. I will be fair here, but will leave with that people and large swatch of the southern whites have the right to find a party that fits their political views. That is today's Republican Party.

The other about Dems winning Texas is going to be stopped by voter suppression, low turnout and yes getting Dems to invest and get great candidates. As a contrarian here and back to voting for your team, it's not like Republicans put up these stalwarts of politicians. This goes back to mass of people voting for the team.

Edit: I also did quick search for the "Democrat White Whale". I saw a few articles on North Carolina but I always thought this was about Texas and/or Florida.

Whichever state it is the notion of Dems chasing one of these states which if Texas or Florida would almost lock up every Presidential election in electoral votes.
    Last edited by Paranoid Android; 2022-10-26 at 09:02 PM.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!