Poll: Do you think Shadowlands was worse or better for the Warcraft lore as a whole?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    Do you honestly believe that Saurfang had any other role than to shill for Anduin?
    Both were treated like garbage. But one has a cute cinematic and the other doesn't.

And being the current level of lore... a cute cinematic is the limit of what we can achieve

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    Since I can only imagine that you main Horde, I'm confident you haven't noticed the bias. The Alliance villains are put down immediately and no one ever bothers to find another solution, while the Horde villains (Sylvanas, Garrosh, Grommash...) are always spared at the last second because "they don't deserve to just be put down".

No one ever bothered to put VanCleef or Benedictus under trial. Because Blizzard is biased towards the Horde.
    Ah, I see what you're saying. I think the scope of the characters differ; Sylvanas and Garrosh were leaders of the Horde, while Benedictus and Fandral were important characters within their race but had less overarching import to the entire faction. I do agree that there is a difference in treatment between Garrosh and Sylvanas vs the ones you've named, but I'd also say that I don't think someone like Nazgrim or Zaela or Putress had any different treatment than Fandral and Benedictus, who I would rate closer in level of importance within the factions.

While there is a difference in the situation surrounding someone like Sylvanas vs someone like Jaina, Jaina had similar treatment of multiple expansions delving into her story and dealing with the traumas that led to her attacking the Sunreavers, to the point where Horde heroes with connections to the Sunreavers were forced to work alongside her just as Alliance heroes with connections to the kal'dorei were forced to work alongside Sylvanas. I'm not suggesting Jaina and the Alliance's killing and imprisonment of the Sunreavers is the same as Sylvanas and the Horde's killing of night elves and burning of Teldrassil in scope, but I am saying that there are some similarities in the treatment of the big name characters between the two factions. Granted, we don't have any major Alliance characters going to the extremes of Sylvanas or even Garrosh, so it's impossible to draw a truly apt comparison until that happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    Tbh Danuser and his cronies managed to upset both groups. Quite an achievement, if you ask me
    Golden's newest novel comes out on March 29th this week...which is Tuesday, some people got advance copies, and much of it involves a long dialogue with Anduin about her past. I'm not sure what to expect...but from what I've gleaned, the ending is fairly predictable and not exactly exciting, basically what was datamined with some internal monologue.
    https://www.amazon.com/Sylvanas-Worl...dp/B08ZXZDNVS/
    "You see, there is balance in all things. Wisdom etched in our very fur: Black and white. Darkness and light. When the last emperor hid our land from the rest of the world, he also preserved...our ancient enemy, the mantid. So it is with your Alliance and your Horde. They are not strong despite one another; they are strong BECAUSE of one another. You mistake your greatest strength for weakness. Do you see this?"

Sending Sylvanas to the Maw should seem like a punishment but the issue is how it's something even she wants because it lets her go and seek out Nathanos, it's not something that truly feels cathartic because it's the "Goodvanas" being punished whereas Badvanas doesn't really exist anymore either.

And that also kinda highlights a big issue for people who don't like Sylvanas, because she never *truly* loses. There's always a silver line to every setback she's gone through, not comparable to Genn or Tyrande who have to live with dead loved ones or cultural erasure and depopulation brought about by their enemy.

That plus the book whitewashing Badvanas as not really being that bad, I can see how Blizzard failed to deliver a proper conclusion for people who wanted their characters to make Sylvanas pay for what happened in Gilneas or Darkshore/Teldrassil but instead it's all just too little too late.

Quote Originally Posted by Ogren View Post
    Sending Sylvanas to the Maw should seem like a punishment but the issue is how it's something even she wants because it lets her go and seek out Nathanos, it's not something that truly feels cathartic because it's the "Goodvanas" being punished whereas Badvanas doesn't really exist anymore either.

And that also kinda highlights a big issue for people who don't like Sylvanas, because she never *truly* loses. There's always a silver line to every setback she's gone through, not comparable to Genn or Tyrande who have to live with dead loved ones or cultural erasure and depopulation brought about by their enemy.

That plus the book whitewashing Badvanas as not really being that bad, I can see how Blizzard failed to deliver a proper conclusion for people who wanted their characters to make Sylvanas pay for what happened in Gilneas or Darkshore/Teldrassil but instead it's all just too little too late.
    I didn't much like the Shadowlands ending either, I thought there was still something...incomplete or missing, to be perfectly honest.

And yet, the point of the novel, and I do not want to spoil too much, was Sylvanas was doing what she thought was the most important thing all along, both in life and in death - to preserve and reunite her family, and perhaps even to preserve and reunite ALL families in the end. She truly thought the ends justified the means, for in her perspective, the existing system was ALREADY doomed and flawed beyond all repair, and needed to be torn apart and entirely remade to give everyone a better future.
    "You see, there is balance in all things. Wisdom etched in our very fur: Black and white. Darkness and light. When the last emperor hid our land from the rest of the world, he also preserved...our ancient enemy, the mantid. So it is with your Alliance and your Horde. They are not strong despite one another; they are strong BECAUSE of one another. You mistake your greatest strength for weakness. Do you see this?"