Poll: What will Blizzard do with Classic after Wrath?

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thats the questoin. Are ppl interested in post wrath expansions ? Im not really. I would preffer to see calssic relaunches with more changes instead of pushing up to live another past expansion.
    Last edited by czarek; 2022-04-01 at 11:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurabolt View Post
    It makes absolutely no sense to go beyond WotLK:C. As others mentioned, EK + Kalimdor haven't changed since Wrath. Until that happens, there's no reason or need to go past Wrath since just about all the content from Cata to now is still accessible in Retail WoW.
    This argument makes no sense. You can also play outland and northrend in game right now.

But can you play wrath/cata/mop classes? No.
    Can you play the raids and dungeons the way they were intended? No.

There's a bunch of reasons why those of use who want it to continue, want it to continue. We love these expansions and want a legit way to play them again. I'm always playing wrath-mop on pservers, but those are not real.

it will probably stop at wotlk but i'd love to play cataclysm again. don't really care for anything after it though. definitely looking forward to wotlk however

I have expected classic to evolve into WoW2. Where the next expansion would not be TBC, but something completely different. That way they could reuse characters, fix lore issues and overall have a second go on systems and things people didn't like.
    Maybe after 4-5 of those alternate expansions they could do a crossover with original WoW centered around Bronze Dragonflight since their entire deal is protecting the timeline and making sure events unfold as they should.
    Alas, that is not what they are doing. Now I expect them to release all expansions up to previous one and then allow players to jump from one to another (only up). That way players that missed on some of the time limited rewards could get them.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffeh View Post
    Uh, no they didn't. They completely gutted the talent trees. Far less talents and choices. You were locked into one tree until you maxed it out. Cata, for all intents and purposes, was the death of the old talent trees.

Cata abandoned class design for spec design.
    This guy gets it.
    The absolute state of Warcraft lore in 2021:
    Kyrians: We need to keep chucking people into the Maw because it's our job.
    Also Kyrians: Why is the Maw growing stronger despite all our efforts?

Quote Originally Posted by hellinter201 View Post
    Since retail is bad and WotLK is the last god-tier expansion, I would definitely think about ending the Classic chain on WotLK and attempt to transform retail into something that would draw from Vanilla + BC + WotLK + whatever is deemed good from retail, aka WoW 2.0. I don't see WoW returning to its success tracks (at least in comparison with the modern half-dead MMO genre) in any way unless some massive overhaul is made to the game, and I only see this overhaul being WoW 2.0, with the core gameplay derived from the aforementioned trinity. Regardless, even if they did that, the game/genre is so burnt off that it would probably not sustain high numbers.
    Your last sentence is what seals WoW's fate going forward. Designers who understood and believed in the pinnacle design have moved on; even if the current generation was capable of imitating the philosophy, I don't think they'd really believe in it, which would make consistent creation difficult. There are so many elements that are different, from loot distribution to gameplay feel to endgame progression. Folks like me are aiming at one more go-round in Wrath, ideally with some of our original teammates — but at the same time, boy do I have a lot of time and flexibility for real-life hobbies when I'm not playing an MMO. Meanwhile, people who are still subscribed to retail have adapted to the lifestyle: keys, extras, all that stuff. Evolution: there's a reason why we're not going to see opabinia suddenly swimming in the ocean.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by czarek View Post
    Thats the questoin. Are ppl interested in post wrath expansions ? Im not really. I would preffer to see calssic relaunches with more changes instead of pushing up to live another past expansion.
    I wanne see MoP again cos I know I hated the pvp cos it was stuns/mobility/interrupts TO EVERYONE x4.
    It was chaos and I want to revisit it now when older cos I wont get smash keyboard be toxic in chat when I lose those BGs
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

As long as money keeps flowing, they'll keep making them.

I could imagine them doing a kind of closed loop system of the first three expansions on repeat though. There's probably enough demand for that to go on nearly indefinitely.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Lionhearte0 View Post
    Cataclysm had the old talent trees as well.

People forget this fact, for some reason.
    You needed to put 31 points in one specialization before you could put points in the other two ..

Quote Originally Posted by Cempa View Post
    You needed to put 31 points in one specialization before you could put points in the other two ..
    Barring a few exceptions, that's mostly what you did on old trees anyway if you actually wanted to be invited to anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Mightytasty View Post
    I see no suggestions on how to fix Cata’s biggest problem: it wasn’t casual friendly.

Cata heroic dungeons & normal raids are too difficult for your average player. This was true back then and will be true now. There is also extremely little outdoor content until the Molten Front dailies.

Classic was easy & accessible throughout.

TBC has Kara & badges of justice. ZA has revived casual raiding as well.

Wrath has farmable heroics & badges. Most raids can be cleared, at least partially, by PuGs.

Cata will destroy cesspool guilds (most of them).
    Huh? I found those dungeons and raids a joke and easy when they came out. So did all my guildie.

The idea that they were difficult is a meme. Like when people say vanilla was difficult.

I reckon Cata Classic would be a lot more popular than it was originally for one simple reason; They can cut the content drought of DS short.

The 2 biggest complaints of Cata (from what I remember anyway) were that Heroics were too hard at the beginning compared to WotLK, and Dragon Soul went for way too long (and was a pretty bad raid). People generally really liked T11 and 12 raids and they get overshadowed by how much DS soured people's tastes of the expac as a whole. More than 5% of players might actually see/kill Sinestra in Classic Cata xD. Also LFR happened and is subjective as to how you feel about it (I've always liked it, personally).

Heroics this time around wouldn't be an issue. People are just better, and even after WotLK's easy dungeons they'll adjust to Cata's difficulty. And Dragon Soul can be cut to a 3-4 month raid instead of the 18 we were stuck with back then.

There has to be an end point, though. At what point does fun and nostalgic turn into just re-releasing a modern game? I can't imagine them doing WoD or Legion Classic there's no point. Even MoP would be pushing it IMO, as popular as it was it's still basically the same as retail outside of class balance.

A better alternative at that point I think would be to update Retail's Timewalking to be available at all times, cover all dungeons/raids and actually change our classes to how they were at the time of whatever content you're doing. If that tech is even possible for them considering how vastly classes have changed, I'm not sure. If they could though, it could be a huge addition to the game and give all Classic players an opportunity to play whatever Classic content they want on a day-to-day basis.

People talk about playing Cata again? unbelievable. I been here since day 1 of WoW, every xpac, hardcore. Cata was universally hated and the forums blew up daily about how bad of an experience it was yet here we are 10 years later and people are all, "cant wait to play Cata classic!" ...what?!

I can see it now in 5+ years people will be like "I cant wait to play WoD classic, it was so awesome!"
    Threads like this convince of me of 2 things...WoW players don't actually know what they want or like & WoW players just like to dump on whatever xpac is current...as has been happening since CATA!!

For the record I liked Cata and I like SL as well
    This should stop at classic WotLK before it gets any more stupid
    Such short memories...
    Last edited by Sariengrey; 2022-04-05 at 03:23 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    I see no suggestions on how to fix Cata’s biggest problem: it wasn’t casual friendly.

Cata heroic dungeons & normal raids are too difficult for your average player. This was true back then and will be true now. There is also extremely little outdoor content until the Molten Front dailies.

Wrath has farmable heroics & badges. Most raids can be cleared, at least partially, by PuGs.

Cata heroic dungeons was done by a higher playercount than mythic dungeons was back in WoD When they were first introduced.
    Dungeons being hard but also rewarding isnt a bad thing. some of the trinkets in the dungeons were used even all the way into dragonsoul.
    Cata also brought some of the best raids we've had in wow (Tol'barad as a small quick pug thing, Firelands, and personally i fondly remember the raid with nefarian aswell.. (the name skipped my head right now and im at work.. sorry)

As someone who played casually back then, but still managed to do all the heroic dungeons several times, on several characters, and cleared all the raids on normal, It really wasnt as unfriendly for casuals as you're trying to make it sound..

Classic for once also isnt casual friendly, with how long leveling takes, how much effort you had to put into the world buffs if you wanted to raid at all, not to mention how long some of the dungeons are even compared to Cata dungeons, means that casual players who doesnt have all the time in the world to hop into those dungeons (looking at stratholme and BLackrock depths / LBRS and UBRS as big examples of this) not to mention travel time) Makes it very casual unfriendly.. Classic was not at ALL accessible by the casual player.

- Cata was where we really started to see a big decrease in travel time, with flying in the normal zones, Portals to the Cata zones which made everything alot more accessible, especially to the casual player..

Quote Originally Posted by Sariengrey View Post
    People talk about playing Cata again? unbelievable. I been here since day 1 of WoW, every xpac, hardcore. Cata was universally hated and the forums blew up daily about how bad of an experience it was yet here we are 10 years later and people are all, "cant wait to play Cata classic!" ...what?!

I can see it now in 5+ years people will be like "I cant wait to play WoD classic, it was so awesome!"
    Threads like this convince of me of 2 things...WoW players don't actually know what they want or like & WoW players just like to dump on whatever xpac is current...as has been happening since CATA!!

For the record I liked Cata and I like SL as well
    This should stop at classic WotLK before it gets any more stupid
    Such short memories...
    Every expansion the forums are like that. Back during vanilla the game was the worst game ever and baby's first mmo.

Sadly, they’ve been open since even before wow classic leaked to begin with, that it was a classic trilogy stopping at wotlk

I know it is not going to happen, but I would love a "new" wotlk and "new classic" where they execute plans that didn't make it in the final cut.

Wotlk with an actual underground Azjol-Nerub, Cata with a phased iteration of the revamped world; using tech they have now to flesh it out better and move away from the (overly present) pop culture reference.

Classic Elwyen, Redridge, Duskwood en Westfall was near perfect as an area; Cata really screwed that up. In particular with CSI: Westfall.

Lemme think. A daily or two in Uldum. A bunch in Deephome at Therazane's place. Another daily hub at Bloodgulch in Twilight Highlands. And then Tol Barad Peninsula and Tol Barad proper when you had control. That was more than enough to hit the 25 daily limit we'd had since the SWP patch. Also Cata had outdoor world bosses which Wrath skipped. That's all I can really think of. Cata was the dungeon expansion. Want loot? Dungeons. Want valor to buy raid gear? Dungeons. Want rep? Dungeons. Sadly they swung back too far the other way in MoP.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

15+ Year Old Account
    Game started to go shit in Cata. There were some better periods but generally it's been going down ever since.
    It's gonna be a very hard to task to figure out how to continue after WotLK since I'm pretty sure most classic players aren't very keen replaying Cata and later expansions.

I think Cataclysm Classic would be less popular than SoM