Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Tom Brady saying he'll take an off year before going to work at Fox.

Hearing that I refuse to call him retired until he signs the one day contract with the Pats.
    I think its "retirement" in case no team with a contenders roster calls him*. He doesn't want to swallow the pride of a Peyton Manning situation where he actually didn't want to retire, just no good team wanted him.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2023-02-08 at 04:58 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think his retirement announcement would've come much later in the offseason if that were true, like Aaron Rodgers right now. Tom Brady is done done, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    I think his retirement announcement would've come much later in the offseason if that were true, like Aaron Rodgers right now. Tom Brady is done done, IMO.
    Which is the point. It wasn't until years later Manning admitted he didn't want to retire he just didn't have any good options otherwise. He avoids ever having to admit that with the he walked on his own terms if no contender one calls him.

Like I don't think he would come out for just any team but if Miami or SF calls him his ass is unretired on the first day of free agency. A lot hinges on the injuries of Purdy and Tua for either to have interest though.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Which is the point. It wasn't until years later Manning admitted he didn't want to retire he just didn't have any good options otherwise. He avoids ever having to admit that with the he walked on his own terms if no contender one calls him.

Like I don't think he would come out for just any team but if Miami or SF calls him his ass is unretired on the first day of free agency. A lot hinges on the injuries of Purdy and Tua for either to have interest though.
    And it's unlikely either goes after him. If SF was worried about Purdy and Lance's injuries they'd not have said outright they will not bring back Jimmy G. They're expecting one or both of their QBs back by Camp, and they aren't going to risk derailing their development by putting them both behind Brady for a year. Miami has burned so many bridges to protect Tua and he finally paid them back with a breakout season, no way they're putting him behind Brady for a year either.

Really, it's probably Vegas or bust for Brady unretiring. And if they swing and miss on the increasingly-likely Rodgers sweepstakes, they might just go for him.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    And it's unlikely either goes after him. If SF was worried about Purdy and Lance's injuries they'd not have said outright they will not bring back Jimmy G. They're expecting one or both of their QBs back by Camp, and they aren't going to risk derailing their development by putting them both behind Brady for a year. Miami has burned so many bridges to protect Tua and he finally paid them back with a breakout season, no way they're putting him behind Brady for a year either.

Really, it's probably Vegas or bust for Brady unretiring. And if they swing and miss on the increasingly-likely Rodgers sweepstakes, they might just go for him.
    They're worried about Purdy's injury not Lance's. They already know what they have with Lance, a running QB who is likely to get hurt again because he's not as big as a Josh Allen and has gotten hurt running the last 2 seasons. If you take away his ability to run then he is a meh pocket passer with bad pocket awareness, a rocket arm but limited accuracy. The super bowl window ain't waiting on Lance's passing to develop if Purdy's surgery and recovery timeline does not leave him with favorable odds for next year I could 100% see them making that call.

Trey Lance was sub 50% and lost to the bears of all teams to start the season, the 49ers aren't relying on him for shit except to be decent backup at this point. They are thankful the Purdy pick bailed them out assuming his arm can be ready to go for the season.

On Jimmy G, he wants to be a starter and he is a free agent. It's not like last year, he's not staying regardless of what the 49ers say so they had no reason to even humor a return.

As far as Miami go's well Stephen Ross and Tom Brady are tight. If Ross wants Brady, it doesn't mean jack shit what they did or said to protect Tua. It's gonna be his decision.

Vegas or NYJ would be interested for sure but I don't see Brady coming out of retirement for either but they're probably the 2 worse teams he would even consider.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2023-02-08 at 08:03 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Vegas or NYJ would be interested for sure but I don't see Brady coming out of retirement for either but they're probably the 2 worse teams he would even consider.
    There's absolutely zero % chance Brady would ever consider playing for the Jets. He would never burn his New England bridges for a 1 season go with a badly run team that he's hated for 20+ years.

FWIW I think Brady is done, done too. The only reason he's not going straight to TV is that I suspect he wants to decompress and I think maybe even wants to attempt to save his broken marriage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay gentlepeeps. Wanna start a bet. How many closeups of Mahomes chewing his mouthpiece during the Super Bowl?
    I'm going for 28.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    There's absolutely zero % chance Brady would ever consider playing for the Jets. He would never burn his New England bridges for a 1 season go with a badly run team that he's hated for 20+ years.

FWIW I think Brady is done, done too. The only reason he's not going straight to TV is that I suspect he wants to decompress and I think maybe even wants to attempt to save his broken marriage.
    I don't think there's any chance of bridges burning, he wouldn't do it just because they're not any good and the division is competitive finally.

As for the timing of retirement, it was a year to the day from the previous fake retirement.

- - - Updated - - -

Derek Carr visited New Orleans today. Trading for him would be nuts, he's about to be cut anyway, but doesn't hurt to get a head start on kicking the tires.
    /s

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I don't think there's any chance of bridges burning, he wouldn't do it just because they're not any good and the division is competitive finally.

As for the timing of retirement, it was a year to the day from the previous fake retirement.

- - - Updated - - -

Derek Carr visited New Orleans today. Trading for him would be nuts, he's about to be cut anyway, but doesn't hurt to get a head start on kicking the tires.
    I've been reminding everyone that's mentioned Brady retiring early because he "means it" this time the exact same thing about the timing.

I understand wanting NO wanting to look at him sooner than later, but at the same point why would you want LV to even imagine that Carr has any potential trade value? To me, that's basically asking LV NOT to cut him in the hopes that they will gain even a little off of him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gracin View Post
    To me, that's basically asking LV NOT to cut him in the hopes that they will gain even a little off of him.
    That is the plan I think. Get what you can even if it is not very much. They have zero leverage, Carr has a no trade clause. And the only reason Carr might seriously consider a trade somewhere is if he isn't sure he'll get value in Free Agency on his new contract.

Carr's agent will likely have a feel for the situation and advise him what to do. Going on a visit to NO also means that teams that might want him might errrrr not let him know directly obviously, cause that against the rules and no one would want to break the rules surely, but Carr's agent will find out more about his value on the market with this visit...some way.

For NO this all works out pretty well, cause they don't really have much in terms of assets to throw around to get a QB, and getting a starter quality guy who just had a down year might be there best way to continue to try and compete.

And NO has reason to try and compete, cause the Panthers are rebuilding and probably need a QB, the Falcons too on both counts, and the Bucs don't have a QB either and might need to take the plunge and blow it up too. That leaves NO as the only team with some continuity and the POTENTIAL to gel quickly with a new QB and some stuff in place that might make it attractive for a QB like Carr. A very winnable division, with a reasonable team around him, and a good front office, with maybe some questions about coaching.

Carr has dealt with worse and done well so, depending on his contract situation, this might be a stress free way to keep a starting job.

10+ Year Old Account
    For Carr it has the advantage of he can use his current contract to negotiate for a favourable one if he finds a good trading spot now.

In Free Agency he doesn't have that luxury.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    For Carr it has the advantage of he can use his current contract to negotiate for a favourable one if he finds a good trading spot now.

In Free Agency he doesn't have that luxury.
    Yeah. Any team trading for him might want to give him a new deal, without the no trade clause for one thing, and still allow him most or all of his 40M in guarantees. He doesn;t get that as a free agent, but there's a very real chance he might not get his 40M in guarantees at all there either.

Saints might be his best combination of guaranteed starting spot + reasaonble team around him + decent new contract. But any team signing him will want to get rid of the No Trade clause, that's for sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    His bonus vests in six days, I don't see how they can risk waiting to trade him.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    His bonus vests in six days, I don't see how they can risk waiting to trade him.
    If they dont land a trade by the night before he'll be an 11th hour cut.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    If they dont land a trade by the night before he'll be an 11th hour cut.
    Trades can't happen until the start of the league year a month later. If the trade partner gets cold feet they're stuck with him. That's the risk I mean.
    /s

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If they can get terms agreed to they may sit on him.

But honestly I don't know what team would trade for him at his current salary. He needs to talk a restructured deal before a trade can happen, and so far the Raiders are refusing to let him do that.

IDK if they're trying to force him into giving up the no trade clause so they can ship him to a bad team for a high 2nd or if they're just incompetent.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    lol Saints fans have already coined the phrase "Carr-nival". I think part of the fanbase is ready for this. xD

10+ Year Old Account
    lol Saints fans have already coined the phrase "Carr-nival". I think part of the fanbase is ready for this. xD
    I'm good with Carr on a new contract. There are also some fans who want to stick with Dalton, forgetting that he definitely won't cost the same $3mil he did last year.
    /s

I’d take Carr over Dalton any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Since the team apparently has given up on Winston.

10+ Year Old Account
    Trades can't happen until the start of the league year a month later. If the trade partner gets cold feet they're stuck with him. That's the risk I mean.
    I think at that point you're going to have all sorts of legal challenges flying around.