Herald of the Titans PickleballAce's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Philthadelphia in the past several months:

Lost in the MLB World Series

Lost in the MLS Cup Final

Lost in the NFL Super Bowl

10+ Year Old Account
    Considering I skipped watching this game because I'm sick of terrible officiating, I am in no way shocked that their ineptitude showed through again, this time in the biggest showcase. Too bad nothing will ever change.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    As a Chief fans the last flag was BS but people are going overplay the significance of it.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Time to make pass interference challengable (again?) and if the game takes longer get rid of some other other dumb stoppages like the 10 minute TD review.

Sensors in balls, people!
    Refs can't be trusted, give them a chance to review themselves and they'll double down every time. The best solution I know is to make fewer penalties give an automatic first down.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gracin View Post
    But that's not really the point is it? Or is a 24? year long career the goal line of if the comparison can be made? I think it can be argued the fact that Mahomes is willing(for better or worse) to give his all to win while hurt, where I don't think Brady ever really did.

I'm not trying to diminish Brady's accomplishments, and I think it's early to call Mahomes into contention for GOAT, but are the comparisons that bad? Mahomes is a freak of an athlete and has already done pretty amazing.
    There's no doubt that Mahomes is one of the best QB's. But to come close to Brady, and actually really dislike Brady, you have to win, a lot. I just don't see Mahomes break any 9f his records while I love his spirit to get every yard possible, that mentality will get him seriously injured sooner or later.

Time to make pass interference challengable (again?) and if the game takes longer get rid of some other other dumb stoppages like the 10 minute TD review.

Sensors in balls, people!
    It wasn't even PI, it was holding. Defensive back field holding should stop being an automatic first down, holding at the LOS can continue to be a 10 yarder but a 5 yard penalty being an automatic first is dumb.

It also was holding by definition of the rule, it's just a bad rule that the modern NFL has put in to have omega passing offenses.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    As a Chief fans the last flag was BS but people are going overplay the significance of it.
    4 seconds or 1.10 minutes in the 4th quarter to overcome a field goal isn't a significant difference?

Really unfortunate it to come down to a ref call. I'd be a bit salty if I was a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    Brady also had a lot more help than Mahomes is likely to get. Consistent top 10 defenses and solid offensive lines.
    The offensive line thing is way overblown. Brady is the all time great at pocket presence. Dude just doesn't regularly take sacks and makes almost any OL he ever played with look good. He never had a top 10 OT in the league prior to playing with Wirfs. The patriots OLs would constantly enter FA cause the pats wouldn't overpay for them and then suddenly no longer looked so great in pass pro on their new teams.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    Brady also had a lot more help than Mahomes is likely to get. Consistent top 10 defenses and solid offensive lines. But to this point in their respective careers, Mahomes has been better than Brady and it's not remotely close.
    Difference between Mahomes and Brady is that Brady stays in the pocket. Brady didn't need to protect himself, Mahomes does.

Well the refs finally decided a Super Bowl. Surely this is the moment the NFL realizes they need rules reform, right?
    The call was definitely bullshit, but it didn't DECIDE the game. The Chiefs were already in the red zone. It made the FG easier, and it let them run more clock. Eagles weren't guaranteed to go back down to tie/win, they looked lackluster in the 2nd half. The call meant the game was effectively over, though, when the Chiefs made the FG.

And Hurts shoulder must have really been hurt, cause that Hail Mary was pathetic.

Hopefully the Bills can get there next year cause....Vegas, baby.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dudes at ESPN saying that it was a great call because otherwise it would've been a touchdown really have shit for brains. Mahomes threw that ball, out of reach, because he thought he saw holding. The referees obliged.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    The call was definitely bullshit, but it didn't DECIDE the game. The Chiefs were already in the red zone. It made the FG easier, and it let them run more clock. Eagles weren't guaranteed to go back down to tie/win, they looked lackluster in the 2nd half. The call meant the game was effectively over, though, when the Chiefs made the FG.

And Hurts shoulder must have really been hurt, cause that Hail Mary was pathetic.

Hopefully the Bills can get there next year cause....Vegas, baby.
    No one claims that the Eagles would've tied but that call took away the small chance they had to come back in the game. That call turned thus game from a classic to a shitshow.

10+ Year Old Account
    Great script for the season. Can't wait for next years!

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    Dudes at ESPN saying that it was a great call because otherwise it would've been a touchdown really have shit for brains. Mahomes threw that ball, out of reach, because he thought he saw holding. The referees obliged.

- - - Updated - - -

No one claims that the Eagles would've tied but that call took away the small chance they had to come back in the game. That call turned thus game from a classic to a shitshow.
    Yeah without that the Eagles get a real shot at the end of the game. If they go down and win, it's one of the great finishes in Super Bowl history. If the Chiefs D holds them up, it's absolute proof the Chiefs were the better team.

Instead we get to talk about yet another touchy call saving the Chiefs in a game. Something that's becoming way too common to be an accident. Not calling rigging, but it sure does seem like Mahomes is in that tier of QB now (the Rodgers/Brady tier) where the Refs will look at him suggesting penalty and say "yeah, you know better than us, flag."
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Holding is prior to a pass thrown, him passing the ball had jack shit to do with the refs throwing the flag. If it was a ball in air penalty it's PI.

If Mahomes had thought it was a free play he throws a jump ball to other side of the field, he was definitely trying to throw a TD.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Holding is prior to a pass thrown, him passing the ball had jack shit to do with the refs throwing the flag. If it was a ball in air penalty it's PI.

If Mahomes had thought it was a free play he throws a jump ball to other side of the field, he was definitely trying to throw a TD.
    Sure, Mahomes with a half inch precision in the second half overthrown a touchdown pass with 10 yards

I enjoyed the game, it was fun to watch a Super Bowl with two teams that I would be happy with winning play(my team was the 49ers), and the game was not one sided which made it all that much better. Random stat I just thought of off the top of my head, every team that played the 49ers lost their next game except the Chief's. They did a great job this year.

Sure, Mahomes with a half inch precision in the second half overthrown a touchdown pass with 10 yards
    He actually threw it to the open spot on the field. My EU brother learning american football, QBs throw to a spot, not to a player. The fact the pass was so off course should tell you holding of some form actually happened.

But this is besides the point, you clearly don't understand the difference in holding vs PI if you think Mahomes needs to throw that pass to get the flag.

15+ Year Old Account
    Wait...did Andy Reid use proper time management????

FWIW, the guy called for the holding said he was definitely holding the WR, he just "hoped they'd let me get away with it."

That, to me, is the bigger problem. A penalty can be called on every play, if you call them by the letter of the law. What you need to be is consistent. The refs didn't throw that many flags the whole game, not one hold/PI/illegal contact type call all game. All the flags were definitive, procedural fouls like false starts, offsides, and delay of games. So to not call defensive holding all game when both teams were playing press man coverage, and then call one on the game-winning drive with under 3 minutes to play? That's absurd.

But while it's absurd, even according to the DB, it was a correct call. I, personally, still think it was a weak call considering the lack of holding calls (offensive AND defensive) that game.

As for the replay issues: I think the Smith catch was marginal, probably a non-catch but not enough to overturn (it was overturned from catch to not catch), I thought the fumble changed to an incomplete pass was a fumble (he turned upfield thus making "a football move" imo), and I thought the Goedart catch upheld on review was a catch as well.

I hate the "survive the ground" shit on catches out of bounds. If he establishes two feet in bounds and has possession, it's a catch. Everything after, if he bobbles it when it hits the ground, is a fumble caused by the ground - which doesn't matter since he's out of bounds.