10+ Year Old Account
    Well hopefully we only waste 1 of his contract years with a shitty QB situation.

Jamaal Adams is hurt again, apparently multiple broken fingers on his surgically repaired hand. Seeking second opinion aka, probably done for a significant amount of time.

10+ Year Old Account
    It will be interesting to see how they structure it, either use up as much cap space now, or push it forward and still try and acquire somebody else.
    /s

Getting paid right before Drew Lock tanks his stock. Good timing.

10+ Year Old Account
    "The #AZCardinals have removed the controversial “independent study” clause from QB Kyler Murray’s $230.5M contract, sources say, a move that happened yesterday."

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1552824557941186563

LOL

The Cardinals ladies and gentlemen.

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    "The #AZCardinals have removed the controversial “independent study” clause from QB Kyler Murray’s $230.5M contract, sources say, a move that happened yesterday."

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1552824557941186563

LOL

The Cardinals ladies and gentlemen.
    Was it embarrassing to Murray to be treated like a child? Then maybe he should stop acting like a child that needs to be scolded into doing his homework. That clause in the contract was the only thing that made it even slightly tolerable.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    Julio Jones is now a Buccaneer, trying to win a Superbowl with the man who cost him one.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/sta...28033053347840
    Well he will only play like 6 games a year. LOL

10+ Year Old Account
    Deebo's extension looks nearly identitcal to DK's

also, Watson news expected today, brace yourselves for the incoming shitstorm.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    https://www.nfl.com/news/deshaun-wat...gn=Twitter_atn

Six games. Six.

Absolute joke of a decision.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

I don't understand how he is getting the same number of games as Myles Garrett did for swinging a helmet at Rudolph.

The judge also said he needs to use team massage therapists. So he did something wrong, but wasn't violent enough. I don't understand the point of having someone independent do this when they mess it up just as bad as Goodell.
    Last edited by Grube; 2022-08-01 at 03:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grube View Post
    The judge also said he needs to use team massage therapists. So he did something wrong, but wasn't violent enough. I don't understand the point of having someone independent do this when they mess it up just as bad as Goodell.
    The NFL found someone who was "independent" who would give the same suspension they wanted while making it look like they didnt make the choice ultimately. Wish Gregg Williams was still a D Coordinator somewhere. Could go from villian to hero real quick.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fucking 6 games? I hope everything bad possible happens to Watson and the Browns. I will laugh and laugh and laugh if he ends up like Shazier.

Zeke on bulllshit accusations got 6 games. This is a fucking joke.

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/sta...178690/photo/1

It looks to be more of a case of thje NFL putting themself in a corner with the CBA they signed with the player's Union + their past treatement of remotely similar situations.

Judge is pretty much saying the NFL is tried to change definitions arbitrarily and levy a harsher punishment just because.

Quote Originally Posted by NotBigzo View Post
    https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/sta...178690/photo/1

It looks to be more of a case of thje NFL putting themself in a corner with the CBA they signed with the player's Union + their past treatement of remotely similar situations.

Judge is pretty much saying the NFL is tried to change definitions arbitrarily and levy a harsher punishment just because.
    The NFL has the arbitrary power to set punishments as they see fit. The CBA says nothing about the reasonableness of punishment or being in line with previous punishments. In fact, the decision in that tweet you linked literally states that: "The NFL is a private organization and can act as it deems fit..."

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    The NFL has the arbitrary power to set punishments as they see fit. The CBA says nothing about the reasonableness of punishment or being in line with previous punishments. In fact, the decision in that tweet you linked literally states that: "The NFL is a private organization and can act as it deems fit..."
    That stopped being a thing in 2020 when the NFLPA and NFL agreed to put disciplinary proceedings in the hands of an arbitrator. NFL can still modify the punishment, but only if they win on an appeal.

The full decision mentions consistency and fairness a lot and I doubt the Judge is just pulling it from her ass. There's something in the CBA prohibiting the NFL from just doing what it wants.

A) They didn't have to send it to the arbiter at all. The NFL did it because they wanted someone else to punish Watson and keep their hands clean of it.

B) The NFLPA itself has acknowledged the NFL has the right to appeal, and seeing as the decider of the appeal is Goodell (as per the CBA), and not another judge, it's likely they'll win it. The same CBA then says Goodell can decide the punishment however he wants. He can totally disregard the arbiter's decision, if he wishes.

It's basically a PR flub by the NFL hoping the arbiter would throw the book at Watson while the NFL kept its hands clean. Oddly enough they can turn it into a PR boon by disregarding the arbiter and throwing the book themselves.

There's nothing in the CBA preventing Goodell from just doing what he wants. Except that it might make owners (specifically the Haslems) angry. Goodell's main concern will be figuring whether he can navigate the public outcry, or whether he should publically do something an owner doesn't want him to do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NotBigzo View Post
    That stopped being a thing in 2020 when the NFLPA and NFL agreed to put disciplinary proceedings in the hands of an arbitrator. NFL can still modify the punishment, but only if they win on an appeal.

The full decision mentions consistency and fairness a lot and I doubt the Judge is just pulling it from her ass. There's something in the CBA prohibiting the NFL from just doing what it wants.
    Nope. Goodell can appoint whoever he wants as an appeals officer, including himself. He can do whatever the fuck he wants. It's just put them in a difficult situation, cause the NFL wanted to get rid of their well deserved kangaroo court reputation, so if Goodell now takes over and gives Watson 17 games or whatever then everyone will rightly say again that nothing changed.

So either they give Watson a heavier punishment and look bad for not respecting the appeals process OR they leave this case as is and look terrible for letting Watson off with only 6 games.

This is a legitimate no-win situation for the NFL.

(which to me means they need to just bite the bullit and give Watson his year suspension and try to do the right thing next time with the appeals)

I think they can get away (PR-wise) with the 17 game suspension. I know people on Twitter will defend any scumbag, but I honestly don't know someone who doesn't think the NFL is a kangaroo court already who will if they up Watson's suspension regardless of the arbiter's decision.

Goodell's decision, imo, is more if he wants to piss off an owner. And maybe other owners too? Don't know how much sway the Haslems have with other owners, but I imagine some of them will be watching this to see how Goodell might handle Snyder, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Grube View Post
    I don't understand how he is getting the same number of games as Myles Garrett did for swinging a helmet at Rudolph.

I'm not sure which direction you are arguing. Myles Garrett could have easily been criminally charged for assault with a deadly weapon and it was on camera. There was absolutely no denying it. Watson has been accused of a great many awful things, but what has actually been proven? Two separate grand juries refused to indict him, and I'm sure that is something that is strongly weighing in his favor. The guy clearly did some reprehensible stuff, but at the end of the day punishments should be based on what there is evidence for, not what we assume might have happened.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cordrann View Post
    I'm not sure which direction you are arguing. Myles Garrett could have easily been criminally charged for assault with a deadly weapon and it was on camera. There was absolutely no denying it. Watson has been accused of a great many awful things, but what has actually been proven? Two separate grand juries refused to indict him, and I'm sure that is something that is strongly weighing in his favor. The guy clearly did some reprehensible stuff, but at the end of the day punishments should be based on what there is evidence for, not what we assume might have happened.
    He's cost the NFL millions in bad publicity and he has a clause in his contract that he can be punished for tarnishing their reputation. That alone is enough.

This is not a court of law. It;s a professional sports organization doing internal discipline for breaking their in-house rules. Just in comparison to the usual handling of such affaris for the average Joe, this happens publically and widely publicized.

For what he actually DID he should be in jail. But that's not what's being discussed here or what is at stake for him or the NFL. It's about reputation and marketability, cynically enough.

They don't give a shit about the women he hurt. Just their bottom line and PR. And for that they are likly going to still throw the book at him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cordrann View Post
    The arbitraitor straight up said that the accusations likely happened because there's more evidence pointing to it happening than otherwise. He got 6 games because NFL fucked up precedence. SO basically kinda like Bill Cosby getting off on the prosecutor's procedural messup.

and given the DA was quite close woth the defence attorney, I dont trust the lack of indictment as meaning anything. If the arbitraitor says this likely happened, theres certainly enough to at least indict.