Thread: The Oscars

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by confety View Post
    When you joke about someone specifically you risk that person or someone close to it slaps you

How is this anything new
    Because it never happened on live TV at the Oscars with high-profile people. Duh.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2022-03-28 at 02:08 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BeepBoo View Post
    No such thing. Because everyone is different and has different psyches, this absolutely has to be an all-or-nothing approach as far as law goes. Either nothing is fine to joke about because some twat out there gets insulted when someone calls his mom fat OR insulting someone's dead mother with very touchy and personal subject material. There is no in-between and I'm not gonna have to stomach litigation for every situation that arises trying to navigate "well, WE (some random group of people) determined this was crossing the line (arbitrarily) but THIS joke over here is entirely fine."
    So if someone writes a slur in front of my driveway but they say "it's just a joke" I'm not supposed to react? What a bunch of nonsense. There is no "all or nothing" approach that must be taken because all jokes are not equal and have the same intentions. A good comedian will tell you that. Pretty sure Chris Rock would tell you that.

Trump ran for president because of a joke. Clinton pissed off a bunch of people see wasn't even referring to because of jokes. Jokes are powerful stuff.
    Last edited by PACOX; 2022-03-28 at 02:02 PM.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Insults...nice. But you'd never have the balls to say that to my face...or insult someone over a medical condition in front of me.
    At least not do such a 2nd time.
    I never found any appeal in making fun of other peoples appearance. But yes, I bet I wouldn't insult you to your face, no need for the tough act.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurgjelme View Post
    I think that if the Smiths would have explained to Chris Rock in their speech that alopecia is a auto immune disease it would have made Chris look a lot more like a fool than he did now. But when he reacted with his fist instead of his wit then hwe kind of lost any chance he had to seem reasonable.

I think it especially bad seeing how many kids Will Smith has influenced over the years to react differently than this.
    Never thought about this tbh, this is a great take.

The could have explained what the condition is and used it to raise awareness.

Instead the biggest winner imo is Denzel Washington with the gem.

Stupid and pathetic actually becoming violent over this. It's also weird how many people actually take the side of someone clearly unable to control themselves over a joke. It's the classic halo effect I guess. It's also weird how hard people are trying to drag race into it. A comedian should never have to worry for their safety when performing. Fortunately it didn't seem to do much damage and I guess Chris will be fine and hopefully feel free to continue exercising his craft.

That said there's much bigger things going on in the world right now that deserve attention far more. Until Ukraine is entirely free of occupation that should be the only focus.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't like Chris Rock but Will Smith should have been arrested for assault had his Oscar vacated and banned from the show, he was totally and completely out of line.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Eh, assault is assault. Doesn't matter if its justified or not.

Will should have simply waited until after the show and called Chris Rock out after for his comments and how damaging they can be to someone who has a medical condition. That would of been more powerful than resorting to violence.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    So if someone writes a slur in front of my driveway but they say "it's just a joke" I'm not supposed to react?
    Not react? Did I say not react or did I say don't get physical? Also, destruction or defacement of property is different from saying words.

If they do it to you, you're allowed to do it to them is my general rule of thumb. Someone making mean jokes? Make them back. Someone graffiti's your shit? Destroy some of their property or call the cops (because destruction of property is a physical thing, not an emotional or mental one that is theoretically impossible to obtain the true impact it has on the individual).

What a bunch of nonsense. There is no "all or nothing" approach
    You're inviting an allowance for something to be okay in one situation and the EXACT SAME ACT to be not-okay in another strictly based on intent, reaction, and people involved. No.

If calling someone's mom fat in one case is okay, it is okay in all cases. How much or little someone takes offense or gets riled up because of it shouldn't matter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Warning View Post
    That said there's much bigger things going on in the world right now that deserve attention far more. Until Ukraine is entirely free of occupation that should be the only focus.
    Oh shit I stopped sending thoughts and prayers to Ukraine for a minute, I hope they're OK.
    /s

Will Smith is such a little bitch lmao. Oh no my wife is bald. She's a public figure at a public event where a comedian gave the lightest possible joke considering she out there fuckin. Will Smith laughed until his wife gave him a look and like a good little cuck he went up and acted without thinking by slapping a man smaller than him. Wouldn't have slapped August tho.

Stop worrying abt your wife's name in other men's mouth. Start worrying about your wife actually being in other men's mouth. No one respects him anymore.

Also lol at "medical condition". Its literally just baldness. Same severity of facial acne, or eczema. Not even an illness, its just karma
    Last edited by ellieg; 2022-03-28 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    I don't like Chris Rock but Will Smith should have been arrested for assault had his Oscar vacated and banned from the show, he was totally and completely out of line.
    It genuinely amazes me that he received a standing ovation just minutes later. Like what the fuck. Scientology privilege maybe?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    It genuinely amazes me that he received a standing ovation just minutes later. Like what the fuck. Scientology privilege maybe?
    It was utter fucking stupidity and indecent, showing millions around the world and kids that multi millionaire celebrities can't handle a stupid fuck joke they deal with any other time, any better than resorting to physical violence, enough with the making excuses. The fact he wasn't arrested immediately validates everything wrong with Hollywood people have said real or made up.

Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    Will Smith is such a little bitch lmao. Oh no my wife is bald. She's a public figure at a public event where a comedian gave the lightest possible joke considering she out there fuckin. Will Smith laughed until his wife gave him a look and like a good little cuck he went up and acted without thinking by slapping a man smaller than him. Wouldn't have slapped August tho.

Stop worrying abt your wife's name in other men's mouth. Start worrying about your wife actually being in other men's mouth. No one respects him anymore.

Also lol at "medical condition". Its literally just baldness. Same severity of facial acne, or eczema. Not even an illness, its just karma
    I'm going to take a very out there guess and say you don't have a girlfriend or any female friends at all. In the off chance that you do, go ask if they would be ok with losing all their hair permanently. Go tell them its no big deal and just karma, just don't be surprised if she slaps you to.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    I'm going to take a very out there guess and say you don't have a girlfriend or any female friends at all. In the off chance that you do, go ask if they would be ok with losing all their hair permanently. Go tell them its no big deal and just karma, just don't be surprised if she slaps you to.
    I'm actually married.

A comedian making a joke about a woman being bald is pretty tame when it comes to roasting. If it was being bald due to cancer treatments id agree its too harsh. If my wife went bald after fucking other men, ya id still say its karma lol.

Sticking up for your wife is fine. Hitting someone is not. And honestly, my wife would've stuck up for herself because she's not some helpless person

10+ Year Old Account
    Will Smith was All of US that watched the KBJ hearings.
    I can totally relate if I found myself within striking distance of Ted Cruz or Lindsey Graham spewing their gross lies and bullshit.

Praise to Rand Paul's neighbor as well.

And somehow because it's more common in men it's suddenly okay? Bald jokes at men's expense just fine because it's "pattern"?

As a man with lush locks and precisely 0 baldness on either side of his family that has nothing to worry about, miss me with the "because she's a woman and it has more severe ramifications" bullshit. Equality, y0.

Bald jokes are fine. Getting so upsetti at words that you decide to use physical violence, nah.

This is just a perfect representation of why the oscars should have stopped existing decades ago.
    "Oh, someone got assaulted on stage, but don't interrupt the show and give the perpetrator an award, keeping up appearances is more important to us than beliving in any of the values we constantly talk about".
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    Will Smith was All of US that watched the KBJ hearings.
    I can totally relate if I found myself within striking distance of Ted Cruz or Lindsey Graham spewing their gross lies and bullshit.

Praise to Rand Paul's neighbor as well.
    What are you even trying to say lol

10+ Year Old Account
    First off unfunny comedians jokes is part of their profession as is award shows. However, hypothetically had I not enough brain matter than to literally assault another human being live on stage for it, balding or not, I am pretty damn sure I would get more then yelled at by my wife.

There is no excuse for what Will Smith did, and to suggest otherwise encourages this bullshit, Will Smith should be banned for life regardless to Chris Rock being an unfunny ass who doesn't press charges.

Quote Originally Posted by BeepBoo View Post
    And somehow because it's more common in men it's suddenly okay? Bald jokes at men's expense just fine because it's "pattern"?

As a man with lush locks and precisely 0 baldness on either side of his family that has nothing to worry about, miss me with the "because she's a woman and it has more severe ramifications" bullshit. Equality, y0.

Bald jokes are fine. Getting so upsetti at words that you decide to use physical violence, nah.
    Exactly.

Have any of you watched family feud? Every other episode has a joke abt Steve Harvey being bald and the whole audience laughs every time. But its ok cause it's a man I guess lol