Thread: Oscars slap.

Page 14 of 34 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    He needs to get better material and reflect upon the life choices that led to him getting Will Smith'd in front of an audience of millions.
    Get over yourself. The joke wasn’t even an insult. It simply pointed out something that Jada is personally sensitive to. If Chris knew she was that sensitive about it then at worst that makes it kinda dickish, but “kinda dickish” can pretty much be applied to any comedian (including Will Smith). Will was 100% out of line.
    Last edited by Adamas102; 2022-03-29 at 03:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    Get over yourself. The joke wasn’t even an insult. It simply pointed out something that Jada is personally sensitive to. If Chris knew she was that sensitive about it then at worst that makes it kinda dickish, but “kinda dickish” can pretty much be applied to any comedian (including Will Smith). Will was 100% out of line.
    Was it a funny joke? No, ergo he needs to get better material.
    Should he reflect upon his life choices? Yes, since maybe if he'd cleared the joke with its target like Amy Schumer did with hers this situation could have been avoided.

Nothing I said was incorrect - it's a spat that should be resolved between the involved parties, and demands for the Academy to 'take action' would present a massive double standard when compared prior instances of shitfuckery they've been entirely willing to overlook.

Edgelord comedians don't need you white knighting for them, habibi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    Are they taking back the award? I hope they do.
    The general hubbub is Smith keeps the award but might be 'suspended' from the Academy for a time. Basically means he won't be invited back to the award ceremony and can't vote for a time.

Especially in light of Rock and Smith both seemed not to want this to be their defining moment. Rock is not pressing charges and issued an apology to the Smith family.

AMPAS is also getting the most publicity they have gotten in a while. As ratings for the event have been on a decline. Last year's awards were the lowest ratings ever for the event. This is seen in the industry as an unintended 'pick-me-up'.

Will Smith, the Slap, and Academy Awards are still top trending topics 2 days after the event.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2022-03-29 at 06:51 PM.

Should he reflect upon his life choices? Yes, since maybe if he'd cleared the joke with its target like Amy Schumer did with hers this situation could have been avoided.

Nothing I said was incorrect - it's a spat that should be resolved between the involved parties, and demands for the Academy to 'take action' would present a massive double standard when compared prior instances of shitfuckery they've been entirely willing to overlook.

You could take some of your own advice with your little “habibi” inserts. Not sure if that’s meant to be funny or insulting, but it mostly just comes off as bizarre and a kinda pathetic.

The joke was fine. If the Smiths felt it was over the line for them they could have brought that up with Chris in private. “Reflecting upon life choices” for not clearing a benign joke with its intended target is about as overly dramatic as you can get (outside of slapping someone for said joke).

Sounds like you fully support the jan 6th insurrection coz some people felt offended at the results.

You think offense deserves violence, habibi.
    Last edited by Strange One; 2022-03-29 at 05:02 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange One View Post
    Sounds like you fully support support the jan 6th insurrection
    What a ridiculous non sequitur.

My stance has consistently been "both parties are in the wrong and need to work out this circus between themselves". The only people getting offended in this thread are the folks being defensive on Chris Rock's behalf, rofl.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

What a ridiculous non sequitur.

My stance has consistently been "both parties are in the wrong and need to work out this circus between themselves". The only people getting offended in this thread are the folks being defensive on Chris Rock's behalf, rofl.
    I'm not the one defending violence trumper/habibi.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange One View Post
    I'm not the one defending violence trumper.
    No, you're just busy strawmanning and making silly non sequiturs. Kinda cringe, tbh.

10+ Year Old Account
    How far back in time do I have to travel before Comedian Worship became a thing?

My best guess is the nexus point is when Boomers discovered appropriated Richard Pryor and started voting for Reagan.

Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    Are they taking back the award? I hope they do.
    When they take away Roman Polanski's Oscar...they can take Will Smith's
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Apparently Rock hasn’t issued an apology, and the one floating around on social media is fake.

Link: https://hiphopdx.com/news/id.69122/t...h-jada-pinkett
    Why would the only real victim apologize? He can if he wants to but there's no need for it.

I think Chris Rock shouldn't apologize because then other comedians might start to think that they have to be constantly apologizing for every joke about a person that could be misinterpreted as a malicious roast.
    Last edited by PC2; 2022-03-29 at 06:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Apparently Rock hasn’t issued an apology, and the one floating around on social media is fake.

Link: https://hiphopdx.com/news/id.69122/t...h-jada-pinkett
    I saw that on Reddit a bit ago actually. Didn't get the chance to read it though because I was pretty busy today.

Thanks for the clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Why would the only real victim apologize? He can if he wants to but there's no need for it.

I think Chris Rock shouldn't apologize because then other comedians might start to think that they have to be constantly apologizing for every joke about a person that could be misinterpreted as a malicious roast.
    then they can stop being comedians, if they're gonna be such cowards about it they can get jobs at fox news crying over "cancel culture".

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    then they can stop being comedians, if they're gonna be such cowards about it they can get jobs at fox news crying over "cancel culture".
    That won't be necessary for comedians. I think society now sees that comedians like Chris Rock are being reasonable and that the people who get triggered by jokes are being irrational.

That won't be necessary. I think society sees that comedians like Chris Rock are being reasonable and that the people who get triggered by jokes are being irrational.
    no they don't. if going by how split people on social media are over this. plenty of people think Smith acted correctly or more so don't think his reaction was a big deal. dude made a joke about his wife's medical condition, the wife has every right to NOT find it funny, and in fact find it insulting. man reacted to seeing his wife being upset. someone got slapped over it, everyone involved moved on with their day.

7+ Year Old Account
    no they don't. if going by how split people on social media are over this. plenty of people think Smith acted correctly or more so don't think his reaction was a big deal. dude made a joke about his wife's medical condition, the wife has every right to NOT find it funny, and in fact find it insulting. man reacted to seeing his wife being upset. someone got slapped over it, everyone involved moved on with their day.
    Hmm well most all of the mainstream sources I've checked have primarily condemned Will Smith. Responsible people know they shouldn't justify violence.
    Last edited by PC2; 2022-03-29 at 07:35 PM.

Hmm well most all of the mainstream sources I've checked have primarily condemned Will Smith. Responsible people know they shouldn't justify violence.
    I'm sure OAN and Newsmax are having a field day over it. reasonable people will obviously notice this was a tiff between two people, which was resolved. if this exact same scenario was played out between two non celebrities none of you would care.

Gotta love someone like you condemning physical harm while pushing ideas that cause harm. You’ve always been a hypocrite and this is just another example.

Saying that Will Smith was wrong to hit Chris Rock is not the same thing as saying "Comedians can say whatever they want without consequence".
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

7+ Year Old Account
    reasonable people will obviously notice this was a tiff between two people, which was resolved.
    Yes, Will Smith apologized to Chris Rock after the award show and made it very clear that his violence was inexcusable, and so this issue was resolved without needing to be hysterical and cancel anyone. That's a positive and optimistic sign for society.
    if this exact same scenario was played out between two non celebrities none of you would care.
    Yeah true, it's because most people don't know about non-celebrities. Celebrities on the other hand are often seen as role models to the public where role models behave in a way that is worthy of being imitated. That's why this matters so much more than a typical altercation.