10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I think that all comes down to how effective Fox News and elected Republicans are at blaming the consequences of the Republican legislatures actions on the Democratic party.
    What amazes me is when they still manage to do it when there isn't a single blue seat in the state/area.

Florida Democrat Leaders Nikki Fried and Lauren Book Arrested While Protesting for Abortion Rights
    TALLAHASSEE, Fla. —

Two top Florida Democratic Party leaders were arrested Monday night during a protest of a bill to ban abortions after six weeks of pregnancy.

This comes after the Florida Senate passed the proposed six-week abortion ban with a vote of 26 to 13.

Nikki Fried, the chair of the state Democratic Party, and state Sen. Lauren Book were taken into custody by Tallahassee police. They were charged with misdemeanor trespassing after a warning.

Fried and Book were part of a group of protesters who set up in a park in front of Tallahassee City Hall, which is across the street from the state Capitol. They were sitting in a circle singing songs when police made them leave.

Tallahassee police say the protesters had been told they could not be in the park all night and that anyone there after sundown would be subject to arrest. Authorities say most people did leave at nightfall, but 11 refused.

Fried and Book were both released from jail overnight.
    I am guessing a group of peaceful protesters outside late at night is a scary thought, anything could happen! Good thing the police were there to protect the protesters from themselves by arresting them for trespass. Don't they know how dangerous the city can be after dark? /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RampageBW1 View Post
    Florida Democrat Leaders Nikki Fried and Lauren Book Arrested While Protesting for Abortion Rights

I am guessing a group of peaceful protesters outside late at night is a scary thought, anything could happen! Good thing the police were there to protect the protesters from themselves by arresting them for trespass. Don't they know how dangerous the city can be after dark? /s
    In a public park across from a public building? There shouldn't be any grounds for any arrests. The police shouldn't even have the authority to demand they leave the location.

Quote Originally Posted by RampageBW1 View Post

The Tallahassee Police Department (TPD) is committed to enhancing the safety of everyone in Tallahassee.

Today TPD assisted in ensuring a safe environment for demonstrators from across the state as they peacefully protested Senate Bill 300 in front of City Hall, located across from the Florida Capitol.

The City had been working with protest organizers for over a week; however, due to the size of the crowd they were expecting and their desire for overnight camping, they were informed last Friday of the City’s inability to accommodate them. Upon the group’s arrival to City Hall today, they were allowed to utilize the property during normal operating hours.

After multiple warnings throughout the day, protestors acknowledged they understood that anyone refusing to leave the premises at sundown would be subject to arrest. This evening, after sunset, the majority of the crowd left the property while 11 people refused to leave despite numerous requests. They were subsequently arrested for trespass after warning.

TPD encourages individuals exercising their First Amendment right of peaceful assembly to do so in accordance with the law. TPD supports non-disruptive demonstrations and works diligently to protect and uphold the rights of citizens every day.
    https://www.talgov.com/Main/News/5432

The news story is really about an arrest photo-opp. The protest took place during the day, but they were previously informed that the city couldn't accommodate their request to continue it through the night, over-night camping. Reasonable restrictions with respect to TPM.

The Tallahassee mayor overseeing the police department is a Democrat. The city commission that also is involved with liability (and cited in news articles) is majority Democratic Party. Democrats stopping Democrats, someone should really protest them.
    "I wish it need not have happened in my time." "So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Imagine believing that being a Democrat somehow magically means that a person has good opinions on policing in this country. Hell, Biden and Harris were both roundly criticized by people on the left for the shit they got up to when it came to law enforcement.

But do keep licking that boot. I'm sure it's delicious.
    Last edited by s_bushido; 2023-04-04 at 04:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Imagine believing that being a Democrat somehow magically means that a person has good opinions on policing in this country. Hell, Biden and Harris were both roundly criticized by people on the left for the shit they got up to when it came to law enforcement.

Tbf, at least democrats aren't actively pushing to make the country a hellscape. At the rate republicans are going we'll legitimately be able to call them the party of hate soon.

I tend to believe both parties are actively full of idiots, but republicans lately could teach a masterclass.

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    I tend to believe both parties are actively full of idiots, but republicans lately could teach a masterclass.
    Yes. I was just responding to his "durrr, they're all Democrats so why you mad, bro?" garbage.

I happen to agree with their steps taken here. Imagine, a Republican looking up why the Democrat-run city police department did something, and finding they did right.

Tbf, at least democrats aren't actively pushing to make the country a hellscape.
    I think we're just two steps away from "Well, the Democrats aren't magically innocent here, and these are the same policies I just suggested are part of the hellscape push, but they just aren't pushing as hard." Maybe we're already there.

At the rate republicans are going we'll legitimately be able to call them the party of hate soon.
    I hear fascism, racism, anti-LGBTQ+ enough from reading this forum that I think a poll would be majority "party of hate." Same page as I'm posting this contains the cognitive dissonance statement of wondering why anyone not from a particular sex class race sexual identity and religious group would ever vote for them. Maybe imagine believing that being a Republican somehow magically means that a person does not have good opinions on policing in this country.

I tend to believe both parties are actively full of idiots
    I can find the tiniest square inch of common ground with you here.
    "I wish it need not have happened in my time." "So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

15+ Year Old Account

Of course, because we as humans can only view other humans through the lens we view ourselves. Republicans only ever see themselves being utterly and completely loyal to their cult, which means being loyal to everything every politician says in their cult. So of course they believe Democrats are the same.

It's always funny to watch them have ZERO response when a Democrat actually criticizes their own. Because the only response the right has to defend their own awful views is to go "WELL WHAT ABOUT THIS DEMOCRAT WHO SAID SOMETHING COMPLETELY UNRELATED BUT I WANT TO DISTRACT FROM MY OWN TERRIBLE POLITICS?!"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    I happen to agree with their steps taken here. Imagine, a Republican looking up why the Democrat-run city police department did something, and finding they did right.

I think we're just two steps away from "Well, the Democrats aren't magically innocent here, and these are the same policies I just suggested are part of the hellscape push, but they just aren't pushing as hard." Maybe we're already there.

I hear fascism, racism, anti-LGBTQ+ enough from reading this forum that I think a poll would be majority "party of hate." Same page as I'm posting this contains the cognitive dissonance statement of wondering why anyone not from a particular sex class race sexual identity and religious group would ever vote for them. Maybe imagine believing that being a Republican somehow magically means that a person does not have good opinions on policing in this country.

I can find the tiniest square inch of common ground with you here.
    Bro, we've been over this only a thousand times. The Democrat party is still inherently right wing. The only thing that makes them at all left is that they care a little bit more about taking care of the poor and sick and marginalized. But Democrats are still inherently "liberal" which on the actual political compass is still very right wing.

This country has a massive issue with institutionalized racism in law enforcement, as well as police departments of any city just being all around awful people who are just fat men on power trips. They break the law on camera all the time and never face any kind of punishment for it.

The fact that you care so much about the political leaning of the Mayor/chief/commissioner as some kind of "gotcha" about this says more about your own warped politics than anything else.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    Bro, we've been over this only a thousand times. The Democrat party is still inherently right wing. The only thing that makes them at all left is that they care a little bit more about …
    Then consider my posts to be directed at people talking in the American context of left and right. I’m aware things are different in different parts of the world and people wish for a universal approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    The Democrat party is still inherently right wing. The only thing that makes them at all left is that they care a little bit more about taking care of the poor and sick and marginalized. But Democrats are still inherently "liberal" which on the actual political compass is still very right wing.
    This will never not be funny to me. Looking from the other side of the pond I see Obama 8 years in power and Americans still have zero days mandated paid vacation and a minimum wage of $7.25/h. Yeah, nothing says radical left like spitting on your workers like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Then consider my posts to be directed at people talking in the American context of left and right. I’m aware things are different in different parts of the world and people wish for a universal approach.
    The point is that the "American context" is a deliberately propagandized Overton window that seeks to make all left-wing thought seem extremist by nature, as even the Democrats are to the right of it.

Rejecting that propaganda and sticking to objective evaluations of policy is the responsible alternative, not insisting your want your fragile propagandized views to be protected from fact-based challenge.

And that's not a partisan take. Both American parties have contributed to this propaganda, and still do. Ocasio-Cortez is still treated as if she's on the far left of politics, when she's center-left at best.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    This will never not be funny to me. Looking from the other side of the pond I see Obama 8 years in power and Americans still have zero days mandated paid vacation and a minimum wage of $7.25/h. Yeah, nothing says radical left like spitting on your workers like that.
    But we have freedoms!
    The freedom to force women to have a kid (which is expensive, the opposite of free), which will then be free to be shot at school.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

You make quite a few cognitive leaps there chief. You've also managed to type a whole lot of words, without saying anything at all.

While I have to believe, for my own sanity, that the rank and file republicans of the world have not gone completely insane. That party is actively working to reverse marriage equality, making it harder for everyone to vote, and intentionally flooding the public with guns that you no longer need a permit to conceal. So while republican =/= bad. It's becoming harder and harder to tell the difference

You make quite a few cognitive leaps there chief. You've also managed to type a whole lot of words, without saying anything at all.
    Poster says people will be able to “call them the party of hate soon” and my response is I think people already would.

While I have to believe, for my own sanity, that the rank and file republicans of the world have not gone completely insane. That party is actively working to reverse marriage equality, making it harder for everyone to vote, and intentionally flooding the public with guns that you no longer need a permit to conceal. So while republican =/= bad. It's becoming harder and harder to tell the difference
    So long as you don’t use party identity to decide whether to generalize an action or minimize it.

Even when Democrats elect the candidates they think will represent them, they still get disenfranchised.

Holy fuck, I hate this godforsaken country. Should be grounds for an immediate special election...

Even when Democrats elect the candidates they think will represent them, they still get disenfranchised.

Holy fuck, I hate this godforsaken country. Should be grounds for an immediate special election...
    Immediate recall and special election. I'm wondering if Republicans got her to run as a Democrat again with this in mind somehow. Like, at this point I'm absolutely not ruling anything out given everything else they've done in recent years.

15+ Year Old Account
    Poster says people will be able to “call them the party of hate soon” and my response is I think people already would.

So long as you don’t use party identity to decide whether to generalize an action or minimize it.
    "I don't agree with the hateful rhetoric and hateful policy of these politicians, I just vote them into office."
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Immediate recall and special election. I'm wondering if Republicans got her to run as a Democrat again with this in mind somehow. Like, at this point I'm absolutely not ruling anything out given everything else they've done in recent years.
    It's this. Her claims are that she is switching parties because Democrats were supposedly bullying her. That argument works only if she was switching from Democrat to Independent. Doesn't fly when you're switching to a party that is ideologically opposed to pretty much everything both you and your previous party ran on. She's in on the grift.

Quote Originally Posted by Taifuu View Post
    It's this. Her claims are that she is switching parties because Democrats were supposedly bullying her. That argument works only if she was switching from Democrat to Independent. Doesn't fly when you're switching to a party that is ideologically opposed to pretty much everything both you and your previous party ran on. She's in on the grift.
    so fuckin resign, you spineless bitch

not that anyone believes this shit rofl