Page 33 of 40 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Nobody gives a fuck. Literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Xires View Post
    So are Democrats- and you can get used to that. Btw, i'm an independent. But funny how you think that because someone doesn't agree with your minority left wing world views...that they suddenly get labeled as "right winger" or "conservative". Get out of YOUR echo chamber of wokeness. The world doesn't want what you are trying to force on it.
    I loved the "echo chamber" comment.. considering corporations, the corporate media and social media primarily side with the Democrats which would make that "the" echo chamber. :P

Also amazes me that the Dems used to be anti-corporation and now they defend places like Twitter over free speech and say "It's a business, they can do what they want". :P

I get what they're trying to do, but.. I think there are likely better ways to go about it that don't involve assigning point values to what are for actual people immutable characteristics. And I have no idea how this is supposed to prevent there from being token representation? Like, it's all token.

And for the love of god, I don't want to see myself represented in a game let alone have a score assigned to what I am. That's just weird and uncomfortable to be marketed at like that.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    That the tool even exists demonstrations the tokenism I'm referring to.

What they should be focusing on is representation within the developer community, not some tool to fake that representation in video games.
    That’s not what the tool does. The tool doesn’t DO anything but spit out data. It doesn’t create characters, and it doesn’t force developers to create certain characters. It points out overrepresented traits which are also what lead to generic token characters.

It’s also a bit ironic suggesting developers should only create characters that reflect their own community demographic when there’s always so much outcry about them trying to get more diversity on their teams.

To go back to your “autistic, black, gay woman” representation, does that mean if there is one on a development team of 10 then every game that team designs should have a 10% of their characters be autistic, black, gay women? Or that a team comprised only of Asian men shouldn’t design games with characters that are women or people of any other race? No matter how you cut it, the idea that a development team should only create video game characters that match their internal team demographics is ridiculous.
    Last edited by Adamas102; 2022-05-18 at 06:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    That’s not what the tool does. The tool doesn’t DO anything but spit out data. It doesn’t create characters, and it doesn’t force developers to create certain characters. It points out overrepresented traits which are also what lead to generic token characters
    "Hey man you're making a lot of white male characters, while that's all well and good we're going to have to go with someone else, sorry bro"
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

Frankly I find the tool offensive.

I definitely won't be using it.

Its a game ffs. After paying for an expansion, and then paying a monthly fee, can I please just play the game without someone judging me and telling me I'm not diverse enough?
    Last edited by pahbi; 2022-05-19 at 03:07 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I find it offensive because it assigns a number to various human features.

You find it offensive because "Forced Diversity Bad"

We are not the same

- - - Updated - - -

At the end of the day, its a Tool. Its about how its used.

You don't need some algorithm assigning arbitrary numbers to various human features, such as Age, Race, Sexuality, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by pahbi View Post
    Frankly I find the tool offensive.

I definitely won't be using it.

Its a game ffs. After paying for an expansion, and then paying a monthly fee, can I please just play the game without someone judging me and telling me I'm not diverse enough?
    I don't think that's what the tool is intended for? It's not for players. You don't get to "use it". YOU are not being assessed for YOUR diversity.

It's a tool for managers and other data-driven people to see where things are headed on a project. They say it's not intended to drive development, either (for whatever that promise is worth), so it's really just one of those background things that gives executives numbers to obsess over because that's what they prefer in lieu of an ability to actually be a human being for once.

The tool isn't really the big mistake. Announcing it to the public in a misguided attempt to score brownie points through virtue signaling is.

It is just a design tool to reduce unconscious bias and make games more inclusive. This tool will/should help a designer or writer identify their unconscious bias, for example: young characters. I don't think art should have forced diversity but games are just products and companies can choose to make their games more inclusive and diverse if they want to.
    Personally as a gay man, I don't really like seeing characters that just get a gay sticker slapped on them at the end and call it "'inclusive". If it adds nothing to the story, then it only creates backlash in the online community and it's just so tiring seeing the same anti-gay rhetoric from 20 years ago repeating.

There are no words in English that can properly describe how screwed up this is. I'm force to rely on Russian.

Пиздец, блядь!

This tool is disgusting. Absolutely disgusting, and so are the ones who made and advocate for it.

This has to be satire?

It's so amazingly stupid and tone deaf. I'm not even big on the who diversity/inclusion thing in games but I can see why this wouldbe offensive. Man, what an apocalyptically stupid waste of time.

Highly offended I'd 0 on everything except age, lmao. I want a character that hits 10 on everything, an old, fat, black, islamic, bipolar, trans, lesbian thats an MLG pro, then I can never be criticised for being a CIS white male.
    Last edited by willtron; 2022-05-19 at 11:52 AM.

The fact that they're giving a score to ethnicity... i thought all races were equal? And if we're being scientific all races came from africa so african should be race score 1, and everything else more diverse. Hippocratic

Quote Originally Posted by Dorothyjean View Post
    I loved the "echo chamber" comment.. considering corporations, the corporate media and social media primarily side with the Democrats which would make that "the" echo chamber. :P

Also amazes me that the Dems used to be anti-corporation and now they defend places like Twitter over free speech and say "It's a business, they can do what they want". :P
    Isn’t that because the only people that care enough to post stuff about it, are the ones that will cancel if you misgender? I know on social media I just post memes and photos, as do all my friends that just don’t care.

Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    Fifty years ago, sexual harassment was the allowed norm in offices. Now it isn't. If you have trouble stating that that is a good thing, it certainly explains why this stuff upsets you so much (you have no moral center).
    Except it was never an "allowed norm." Fifty years ago was roughly when women began entering into fields that were all men. I don't think that at any point harassment was allowed. People got away with it, sure, but it was never okay.

3+ Year Old Account
    I'm all for more diversity in video games and other media, but this.....this isn't it. How the hell can you measure how "ethnic" someone is, for example?

Quote Originally Posted by Wylyth1992 View Post
    I'm all for more diversity in video games and other media, but this.....this isn't it. How the hell can you measure how "ethnic" someone is, for example?
    Assigning a score to cultures is the kinda shit I'd expect on the blog of some Stormfront nutcase, not from people who claim to embrace diversity.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

3+ Year Old Account
    Wow this thread just got worse and worse.

Look at all the children fighting lol. Wow, and I thought games were supposed to be fun lol

Quote Originally Posted by Wylyth1992 View Post
    How the hell can you measure how "ethnic" someone is, for example?
    Quote Originally Posted by kaldonis View Post
    The fact that they're giving a score to ethnicity... i thought all races were equal?
    Good lord… I mean, yeah it’s presented poorly but it’s insane how many people in this thread just don’t understand what the tool does.

It’s not scoring ethnicity itself. It’s comparing a fictional character’s ethnicity to the prevalence of that ethnicity based on input data. Flip the numbers if you want (straight, white, male is 10’s across the board) it still means the same thing. One side of the scale is high representation, the other is low representation. The number doesn’t determine whether something is good or bad.

The point of the tool isn’t to force developers to create characters that score 10 on everything. Nor do 0s and 10s remain static since the tool’s parameters can be changed based on setting. So if you’re designing for instance a Prince of Persia game, the parameters (at least for ethnicity) will be pretty different compared to if you’re designing a game like Overwatch where characters come from all over the world and are meant to be highly diverse.
    Last edited by Adamas102; 2022-05-19 at 04:34 PM.

This is the stupidest shit I've seen in a video game or about a video game or having anything to do with a video game. Everything woke turns to shit. Needs more 0s across the board, to create the most based character in existence.
    Last edited by Dald; 2022-05-19 at 06:26 PM.