10+ Year Old Account

car racing games

currently playing both beamNG.drive in PC and gran turismo sport on ps4. i think its mostly subjective, but i feel that velocity in both games is shown different. i mean, when im driving 100 kmph in GT sport it feels similar to driving 50 kmph in beamNG.

are driving games lying about velocity? how hard is it to make it feel 'correct'?
    gt is advertising itself as 'a real driving simulator', but i feel like speed numbers are just cranked up like in some NFS game.
    Scam Citizen referral code: STAR-2YL2-XDTX|get 5,000 UEC

Perspective? Driving 100km/h in my jeep feels slower than my coupe due to being higher from the ground.
    Last edited by Daedius; 2022-02-12 at 03:50 PM.

might be worth looking at the FOV as well? It can make a world of difference when it comes to the feeling of speed

It's all about fov, the wider the fov the bigger the sense of speed it also depends from camera tilt angle, driving games (sims especially) don't lie about velocity, just look at any stream from RFactor2 Iracing, Assetto Corsa Competizione on yt or twitch
    You think you do, but you don't ©
    Rogues are fine ©
    We're pretty happy with rogues ©
    Haste will fix it ©

Fake numbers for the fake cars driving on fake roads?

Slightly more serious note; If the games contain recreations of real tracks it's easy to compare to real-life scenarios. But even if the numbers match up the perception of speed can be misleading due to unnatural camera angles, fov etc.

Gt is going to be more realistic, tracks are modeled to size and speed will be modeled to travel across a specific amount of that size as it normally would. While I dont doubt beam ng does this, they don't really have modeled tracks and the size reference isnt going to work out as well.
    Last edited by StillMcfuu; 2022-02-12 at 05:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Perspective? Driving 100km/h in my jeep feels slower than my coupe due to being higher from the ground.
    Also the more you drive fast, it seems like you are driving slower. I drove my car 126 mph on a highway in New Mexico out in the middle of nowhere. I think it was route 66. After that, when I started driving the speed limit, it felt like I was hardly moving.

My American truck simulator ( an 18 wheeler diesel truck simulator game ) game sometimes feels faster than racing games when I get up to 80mph down the highway.
    Last edited by Nihilist74; 2022-02-12 at 05:11 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    no way its just that. just now ive been driving in beamNG and thought to myself 'holy shit, thats fast', then i looked at the speedometer and it was only 60 kmph.
    then again i drive easily at 100-120 in GT sport and it feels slow.

it must be that one of those games lies about the speed
    Scam Citizen referral code: STAR-2YL2-XDTX|get 5,000 UEC

Quote Originally Posted by Funkyjunky View Post
    Fake numbers for the fake cars driving on fake roads?

Slightly more serious note; If the games contain recreations of real tracks it's easy to compare to real-life scenarios. But even if the numbers match up the perception of speed can be misleading due to unnatural camera angles, fov etc.
    This basically.

On a sidenote: I read this thread as being about cat racing games and i was slightly disappointed.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by loras View Post
    On a sidenote: I read this thread as being about cat racing games and i was slightly disappointed.
    That's a pussies' sport...

Quote Originally Posted by Proskill View Post
    no way its just that. just now ive been driving in beamNG and thought to myself 'holy shit, thats fast', then i looked at the speedometer and it was only 60 kmph.
    then again i drive easily at 100-120 in GT sport and it feels slow.

it must be that one of those games lies about the speed
    Games add effects like bluring and screen shake to add to sensation of speed, GT doesn't really do that. Most games treat speed the same way a teenager that just went 100mph in their mothers Taurus sees speed. GT is made by people who love motorsports, im surprised you can even see the speedometer in the game as thats not really important to track driving.

That's a pussies' sport...
    Oh you.

/10chars
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

I played Gran Turismo Sport on PS4, but after I realized that all the same I do not like racing)

I have played many racing games on various consoles. But most of all I liked the Forza Motorsport series of racing video games