Thread: [Movie] Prey

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bledgor View Post
    Its more than a bit unrealistic, like come on mate, you have a girl that weighs maybe 100lbs vs Arnie who was like 250 solid muscle and Glover who is still tough but never really engaged it in physical combat, and when he did, it beat the shit out of him. The choke slam should have winded her badly. Like I still enjoyed the movie, but we can all agree it was eye roll fight at the end.
    I think thats one of the big things that makes the first predator so good. Even a bit into the second as it killed a fairly big star (Bucy) and for a moment, you felt like glover could actually die.

Predator 1 presented the very real possibility that Dutch was going to die. The writing for that scene being very well done even to the point of the log trap that Arnold could pull off enough Dutch emotion in an "oh shit " moment. You felt the very real chance that Dutch was a goner. Long before the days of killing off the action hero was cool like Willis in say Armageddon.

I got none of that here. Not one time did the movie convey any real moment where I thought, Oh she is a goner. It's like the dumbed down the predator if anything else to make her seem plausible and thats a bit unacceptable for me for the given fiction.

I feel like one of the points of the first movie was that it doesn't matter if you are buff Arnold with an elite squad of trained macho men with weapons - you're still sitting ducks against the Predator in the jungle. Arnold only started turning things around after he gets a breather and can start use his head instead and plan his strategy.

The girl in the new one might be physically inferior to Arnold but she possesses other attributes as a hunter and tracker, as well as being a great observer (and adapting to what she learns) and these things give her a different advantage against the Predator.

Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    I think thats one of the big things that makes the first predator so good. Even a bit into the second as it killed a fairly big star (Bucy) and for a moment, you felt like glover could actually die.

Predator 1 presented the very real possibility that Dutch was going to die. The writing for that scene being very well done even to the point of the log trap that Arnold could pull off enough Dutch emotion in an "oh shit " moment. You felt the very real chance that Dutch was a goner. Long before the days of killing off the action hero was cool like Willis in say Armageddon.

I got none of that here. Not one time did the movie convey any real moment where I thought, Oh she is a goner. It's like the dumbed down the predator if anything else to make her seem plausible and thats a bit unacceptable for me for the given fiction.
    Actually, even as a really young kid, I never once thought Arnold or Glover were going to die in their movies. As you specifically noted it wasn't something that ever happened back then, barely even happens now, so was extremely confident. Based on only the trailer of this movie I knew that the woman who played Naru was gonna kill the predator. How the heck did you not? I mean, I get the idea of suspension of disbelieve, but I mean, cmon...

Quote Originally Posted by Zantera View Post
    I feel like one of the points of the first movie was that it doesn't matter if you are buff Arnold with an elite squad of trained macho men with weapons - you're still sitting ducks against the Predator in the jungle. Arnold only started turning things around after he gets a breather and can start use his head instead and plan his strategy.

The girl in the new one might be physically inferior to Arnold but she possesses other attributes as a hunter and tracker, as well as being a great observer (and adapting to what she learns) and these things give her a different advantage against the Predator.
    Overall I liked the movie, but really had to suspend disbelief to get through the final battle. Just going off this movie alone, we were already show how much inferior she was to the lion and the bear, which the predator took down with relative ease. Then without a training montage since when she got whooped, she becomes a ninja, single handedly dispatching the French camp, then running circles around the predator.

The other problem the franchise has is that had the predator fight our human alpha in the first movie, so it's tough for anyone to follow up on that. A highly trained, very strong/muscular special forces dude barely survives after the predator takes out the rest of his very trained and skilled team, then somehow I'm supposed to believe Danny Glover or Adrien Brody can take one out. So for me, they set the bar too high in the first movie for the sequels to live up to it.

All that said, Prey was an enjoyable movie, and I didn't mind suspending disbelief for the final fight. I enjoyed the fact that they showed she wasn't just born the alpha-fighter in her tribe, but rather it was just that she aspired to be a great hunter and was working on improving her skills to reach her goals.

"Take the time to sit down and talk with your adversaries. You will learn something, and they will learn something from you. When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So keep the conversation going."
    ~ Daryl Davis

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    Actually, even as a really young kid, I never once thought Arnold or Glover were going to die in their movies. As you specifically noted it wasn't something that ever happened back then, barely even happens now, so was extremely confident. Based on only the trailer of this movie I knew that the woman who played Naru was gonna kill the predator. How the heck did you not? I mean, I get the idea of suspension of disbelieve, but I mean, cmon...
    protagonists always survive in action movies, with some rare exceptions. I remember watching a video of a doctor listing all the injuries John McClain would've suffered in Die Hard and whether he would've survived or not. same for every single movie action hero. oh what's that, they got shot? no biggie, just walk it off as if it never happened... lol

I really liked the movie but I’m not sold on future movies being set in all these different time periods.

An interesting note in the accessibility of the film, I am seeing non-movie related channels and platforms engage with the film. Social media tracking for the movie is still rather high.

This could not have gone better for Hulu. Engagement is king.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    An interesting note in the accessibility of the film, I am seeing non-movie related channels and platforms engage with the film. Social media tracking for the movie is still rather high.

This could not have gone better for Hulu. Engagement is king.
    It's not a perfect movie, by any means, but it's just got that certain special something. It's wonderfully paced, the casting is great, the score and cinematography are well above anything that has been done with the franchise so far.

Like, the CGI, it gets pretty bad at points, but you know this movie is doing stuff right when people acknowledge it and move past it saying they didn't mind. It earns charitability with everything else it's doing right.

The last act is definitely, let's say, a bit heightened compared to some of the previous Predator movies. Naru definitely does some things that aren't really humanly possible. And while I'd argue the same has been true in pretty much all of the Predator movies, their action did tend to feel a bit more grounded. So I suppose I can understand why people might have an issue with things like her rope tomahawk and parkour.

To me, I'm not only fine with it, I totally wouldn't mind if the series leans a bit harder in that direction. People are talking about wanting a viking or samurai period piece now, and I feel pretty confident that they totally wouldn't mind a scene where a ninja is doing flips and cartwheels around a Predator or a dozen samurai with a kusarigama, even though that's just as unrealistic and historically inaccurate as anything we see in this film.

Let's make the protagonist of the next movie Rin Kurosawa, the ancestor of the chick from the AvP Capcom game.

Edit: Okay, actual serious Vikings vs Predators movie pitch. Aglaeca, a retelling of Beowulf set in 6th century Scandinavia. "Aglaeca" is a word used in Beowulf that means both "fearsome fighter" and "vile monster," referring to both Beowulf and Grendel.

So, Grendel is a crazed Predator parasitized by an Alien, feeding on humans just to survive as its internal organs are being ravaged. Grendel's lair is a Predator ship that crashed into a cavernous sinkhole after an Alien snuck aboard. Grendel's mother is the Matriarch of his clan that has traveled to Earth to clean up the mess, recover their technology, and destroy their bodies. The dragon is a Predalien that burrows out of Grendel's body before the Matriarch could dispose of it.

So basically Grendel shows up, attacks some humans but doesn't act like a normal Predator. The Matriarch is hunting the parasitized members of her clan that crashed on Earth after some mishap with a Xenomorph on their ship. Grendel fights Beowulf and loses his arm (maybe his shoulder-mounted weapon explodes, allowing Beowulf to tear it off the rest of the way), then runs off and dies in the swamp. Matriarch recovers the arm and wrist gauntlet that Beowulf displays in town as a trophy. Beowulf tracks her back to Grendel's lair (the crashed ship), inside the Matriarch is using special ritual knives to kill the parasitized Predators and the Chestbursters inside of them, but is interrupted by Beowulf before she can do the same to Grendel. Beowulf uses a Predator sword from the ship's arsenal to kill her, then uses it to decapitate Grendel, bisecting the tail of the Chestburster inside of him, its blood melting the sword to the hilt. He leaves the lair with Grendel's head and the hilt, but the Predalien larva burrows out of Grendel's body, eventually growing up into a "dragon" that terrorizes the countryside, which a much older Beowulf must return to fight. Beowulf fights and kills it, dying in the process, and his right hand man burns him on a funeral pyre.

Present it with narration that just uses prose from the epic poem, showing how the humans interpreted the events. Grendel the ogre, its mother trying to get revenge for killing it, using a "giant's sword" to kill her, the "hot blood" of Grendel melting the sword, the dragon, etc.

Something like that.
    Last edited by Kathranis; 2022-08-15 at 09:13 AM.

It's not a perfect movie
    This is kind of a silly and juvenile concept. I get your meaning, however.

I give it a 6/10. Which isn't that bad of a score.

MAJOR SPOILERS below.. you've been warned.

(I noticed a lot of people been posting spoilers but figure I would just give a heads up.)

This movie was better than the last Predator. I will give it this. I can't recall and more than likely don't want to recall the last one. It must've been that bad. So there is a positive going for it. Is it better than Predators? (plural) I don't think so. Predators had a wide array cast and I dug this with a cartel enforcer,(Danny Trejo) Russian soldier, IDF sniper, RUF officer, San Quentin death row inmate, Yakuza member, and the more quiet deadly guy. This made for an interesting cast and interesting circumstances where people found it hard to trust one another.

Did I like Isabelle more than Naru? Yes. Yes I did. I guess the character Naru was suppose to have more of a child's mentality of proving oneself. Isabelle was more knowledgeable and logical. I didn't dig the whole Naru doesn't get the lion kill, gets beat around by boys, (I pretty much walked away at that scene. Seriously.) and silenced about her warnings on impending doom. Generally making her very "weaK" probably where the name Prey comes in. I get the ending is suppose to be like she is finally victorious. Yet the movie felt incredibly shallow to begin with...

Compared to another female character (Isabelle) that was portrayed so much better and wasn't visuals of her getting beat. Able to handle her own with the guys. Not normal men either, extremely manipulative ones and cut-throats. Make the hard decisions within a certain scene but still have enough compassion in another scene when a certain circumstance presented itself. I did recently watch Predators to compare it with the new one. The point when she asks one man "Where is his humanity?" is a moment of compassion I am speaking of.

Maybe Prey is going for more of the naive, angst feel. I mean her male counterparts (tribe members) in the movie kinda contribute to those vibes. I am quoting someone else opinion of the the actress and actors in this movie, "it felt like I was watching a bunch of drama students." Now tbh I don't really care if they want to direct towards a younger audience, but then give them the proper material. A girl that gets bullied the whole time shouldn't be the central theme of a Predator movie. When they have given a much better adaption in the past and it is not the main plot.

Anyways one last comparison to that movie. Is Predators is over the top, ya I get it. (It is also not the best in the franchise but been mainly talking about it to make a point with Isabelle) Still within roughly 10 minutes? There is someone shooting a gatling-type machine gun. This is what I would anticipate with this type of movie..action.

My biggest irks with this movie was:
    - 40 to almost 50 minutes for confrontation with the Predator. Yes almost an hour.
    - That CG Bear was some of the worst CG I have ever seen. No I am still not getting over it. (Sidenote: One scene I did like is how the Predator kills the bear and how the Predator is revealed to Naru.)
    - They were using a dog lover crutch. I find this more and more often in Hollywood movies. I thought I was in for John Wick all over again. Thankfully doesn't happen.. still they have no shame in this and it's getting so common nowadays. (Doesn't mean I hate the pooch. It is nice. It is just I'm getting tired of certain people overusing this to pull at heartstrings or to try and establish a connection. It has gotten way too transparent.)

There is a couple of other things.. but I'd rather keep my post more short. Anyways some people are more psyched about other historical type of battle they could do. This is fine. I am not as excited but it delivered properly. Might be pretty enjoyable. I'm more in the boat of a more futuristic setting. Predator has some pretty high end gadgets I think it would be nice to see that be countered at one point and time. Instead of let's say against a musket or a sword.

Quote Originally Posted by Kixxenn View Post
    I'm more in the boat of a more futuristic setting. Predator has some pretty high end gadgets I think it would be nice to see that be countered at one point and time. Instead of let's say against a musket or a sword.
    That would make sense. I mean why go after low tech beings? Predators come across as bullies. I concede their sense of honor may be very different from human interpretation.
    But I'd think they'd want a challenge that a more tech advance society may bring.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    That would make sense. I mean why go after low tech beings? Predators come across as bullies. I concede their sense of honor may be very different from human interpretation.
    But I'd think they'd want a challenge that a more tech advance society may bring.
    I view it like people that hunt animals for sport. Is it really a challenge to take down a deer when you have a gun? Even a bear isn't really a challenge. We wouldn't hunt animals we view as equals either, like humans.

The Predator in this film is officially called the "Feral Predator".

Pretty interesting read to me: https://avp.fandom.com/wiki/Feral_Predator

10+ Year Old Account
    From Fencers' link

The Feral Predator was a unique specimen amongst typical Predators, not only possessing a visually distinctive appearance, but also sporting weapons and gadgetry that were far more primitive compared to other examples seen in Yautja culture (though still far superior to that of Humans). This was due to the creature's unique background - presumably hailing from a different, even hotter hemisphere of the Predator homeworld, essentially being a 'Desert Predator'.[2]
    Alien species that has multiple races/cultures? A planet with multiple biomes? That's some deep ass lore for an action sci-fi. We all know the trope of alien planets having a single biome and all the aliens looking mostly the same if not straight up identical.

Good on whoever made that call

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    Let's make the protagonist of the next movie Rin Kurosawa, the ancestor of the chick from the AvP Capcom game.
    I just want Machiko Noguchi, damn it.

In a movie, I mean.

Also I just want Machiko Noguchi. Rawr.

A Predator movie with Vikings would be pretty good if done correctly, and I like a lot of your ideas for it. I'm picturing his armor/mask to have ornate carvings very reminiscent of what Vikings used on some of their great halls and such.

I'd really like it if they'd look into getting the rights from Dark Horse to adapt some of their storylines into movies. Hell Come a Walkin, Bloody Sands of Time, and Nemesis are three in particular that could be amazing. And for a slight change of pace, Captive would be really good, perfectly encapsulates the idea of "I'm not trapped in here with you; you're trapped in here with me."

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    From Fencers' link

Alien species that has multiple races/cultures? A planet with multiple biomes? That's some deep ass lore for an action sci-fi. We all know the trope of alien planets having a single biome and all the aliens looking mostly the same if not straight up identical.

Good on whoever made that call
    Well I mean to be fair - Predator has a good chunk of "deep ass lore" (especially for something that started as an action sci-fi movie) due to the DH comic book line being around for years (now) and adding to the mythos beyond what's contained in just the first two movies.

I do agree though - good on the movie team for trying a bit harder (than most of their colleagues) in trying to base their Predator design in something logical/"biological" and to add to that lore - rather than just ignore its existence completely and/or bulldoze through it all to just do whatever they want without any base in logic at all.
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

5+ Year Old Account
    since this reply isn't made for the other thread "what movie have you watched n what would u rate it n stuff?" i'll reply here..since that thread is not for discussion, just an opinion n rating..

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    Saw Prey, another shitty movie, i give it 2/10

First off, biggest sin is all these cunts directors thinking they should re-imagine what the predator looks like.
    Predator was perfect in 1st movie, so damn good it looks like a real life alien, having seen movie in theaters just a few years ago, it holds up n doesn't look dated.
    Yet every movie manages to look worse! Fuck that cgi bear! Cgi predator that looks like a rotting zombie... i think creature has been turned into an impressionism art subject instead of making it look real..

The indians speak like american teensgers at the mall...

The girl goes full 300 and Assassin's creed on the french n predator...what a load of shit!

In 1st movie arnie gets teh shit beaten out of him, he only survives out of pure luck, this serves to heighten the predator's awesomeness n threat level, which uplifts the movie...but here this girl is basically a super hero mary sue, or does it count as training to tie rope on her axe n throw it a few times on some trees for her to have the skills to defeat the baddest mofo in the galaxy?...
    Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    You understand that the movie takes place in 1719? Which is a little over 200 years ago for both us and the Predator alien species. It's possible the Predator aliens evolved from 1719 to 2022 and would look different. And if they are forcing evolution to create a superior warrior race it would make since that their development (both technological and physical) would be unnaturally sped up. So while Arnold was fighting a "present" day Predator with lasers and shit, it makes sense that their technology has not always been that advanced.
    Dude.....

They are an inter-galactic species that travel in deep space between the stars...not so advanced?..we are the ones who are primitive monkeys next to them...just because us humies weren't advanced back then, doesn't automatically mean the Yautja weren't as well...how else could they get here?
    They are so beyond us on the tech tree it's not even a contest...we haven't seen their militaries, their galactic navies n weapons we can't even imagine..it would be like todays humans picking a fight with a Protoss...just forget about it...the Protoss glassed an entire planet of humans like it was nothing..who knows what the Yautja are capable of technology wise? They are prob using low level tech to make it a sport, if their aim was to kill arnie or anyone, they'd be dead in moments, but would be too easy n not honorable..the Yautja give other species a fighting chance.

They could end life on earth at a touch of a button at will. I think the fact that they don't, and the number of humans n other aliens they kill are very low in a general population suggests they have great restraint and have developed a view on galactic relations, even though we don't even know of it, they choose take a cautious approach and act much more civilized than if humans could get unleashed upon the galaxy...I don't trust humans to act honorably to humans, much less to aliens..

I have great respect to the yautja characters, very fascinating that they are both super-advanced, yet so fierce which must be some sort of way for them to stay sharp, maybe the hunt is an important aspect in learning about each others capabilities in a very limited way, it certainly beats the yautja being isolationist, so what if we loose a few humies now and then? Like we don't kill enough of ourselves a million times over? It's a bigger benefit for them to come here than if they didn't.

What I really loved about the 1st movie is how intelligent it makes them look, while being bad ass

unfortunately the gif cuts off the part how it holds the tips of those sharp wood dagger like thingies on that trap and then turns it head around taking in the situation surrounding, it doesn't charge forward like a dumb brute..and jesus, it killed Billy, just the biggest meanest indian I have ever seen on screen (he was in n out of jail before getting the role!) off-screen but that lil girl in prey...ugh, how insulting.

I'm so sick of them only being portrayed of raging screaming berserkers all the time in later movies, it becomes so annoying, it's like that T-Rex roar in jurassic movies, I'm pretty sure it can't go around roaring all the time..and that is a stupid animal, so I'm sure there is more to yautja culture than stabbing humies n roaring...

I have for years thinking about writing a story, for fun, haven't gotten around to it, but have thought about it a lot..
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2022-08-19 at 07:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    Dude.....
    I hear you and understand. But you don't stop advancing once you reach a certain point in your society. It may not be leaps and bounds like from medieval to the industrial revolution. So while they are way more advanced than us, a Predator from today would trounce a Predator from 300 years ago. That's all I was trying to say. It would be like putting Michael Jordan in a time machine and having him play basketball in the 1930's.
    "The customer is always right" is a nice way of saying "I will put up with your bullshit as long as you pay me"

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    I hear you and understand. But you don't stop advancing once you reach a certain point in your society. It may not be leaps and bounds like from medieval to the industrial revolution. So while they are way more advanced than us, a Predator from today would trounce a Predator from 300 years ago. That's all I was trying to say. It would be like putting Michael Jordan in a time machine and having him play basketball in the 1930's.
    I see...but we are still talking about an intergalactic species, with that comes a super advanced industrial base, and this is soooo human-centric, for all we know the Yautja can have been travelling around the galaxy for tens or hundreds of thousands of years, if not more...I mean, we have age of dinosaurs on earth that lasted hundreds of millions of years...what if the Yautja developed way, wayyyy ago? I think it's human centric to have Yautja development tied to human development, I expect aliens that are divided by the insane distances, countless light-years, to develop independently of each other, it would be very big coincidence if they started not so long ago as humans...and what are they? Their world nearb-by? Would that make sense? If they can travel freely amongst the stars (sail the astral winds, to borrow a Protoss saying) then they could have originated anywhere in the galaxy as they can go anywhere...but that doesn't explain why they keep going back here, but they might as well be visiting hundreds if not thousands of other worlds to hunt.

I have been thinking a lot about making a story, so given this some thought, since they are so advanced, their technology must be largely automated, all menial work done by ai n robots, which leaves them lots n lots of free time. It might be a societal decision to revert to the hunt, not for food, but for the mind, as, well in nature the species that are predators (like wolves) seem to me way more intelligent and goal-oriented than prey animals...lets take a cow, I mean...it's a cow..its food is all around it, it only needs to put its head down n chew the grass under it, which is everywhere...while prey animals struggle a lot for survival n food, predators have to problem solve a lot, their survival depends on it, they can get seriously hurt, they have to coordinate their attack etc.

The wolves eyes n other predators narrow down to judge the distance to their prey, there is soo much going on in predators for them to develop intelligence, so for Yautja to do something seemingly primitive as hunting, when they no-doubt can get food at the touch of a button, is to keep themselves sharp and not loose their way. and yet they are so restrained, a very balanced view of their role in the galaxy.

I want to see stories of yautja that doesn't even involve humans..since the yautja are so interesting n original..

If the yautja aren't wolves, won't they become doggies, domesticated? Aren't humans domesticating themselves? I think the Yautja chose a different path..

Haven't dogs, regressed? Are humans regressing n at same time advancing? Are the yautja only advancing, so isn't their way better than ours? It makes me wonder sometimes...

There are sooo many philosophical questions n stuff, yet every single predator movie has only one story, predator comes, hunts humies, humies die one by one until the last humie somehow manages to defeat predator, the end.

Now people after this prey movie wants more movies, of the same thing, just different setting, fight samuraiis, cowboys, knights, etc. so boring..
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2022-08-19 at 07:55 PM.

1+ Year Old Account
    Boy, this movie came and went straight into oblivion.