Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Blizz Buys Proletariat

Going by this, it seems Blizz has bought Proletariat, the makers of Spellbreak and will be helping with DF and anything WoW based.

Its a fantastic battle royal game, so maybe see WoW go action combat??

https://www.mmorpg.com/news/blizzard...R8VEEeZmIKMYxw

Well, hopefully they don't try to implement a battle royale mode.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Greyvax View Post
    Well, hopefully they don't try to implement a battle royale mode.
    They already have that

its called the Gurubashi Arena

- - - Updated - - -

Also, for what its worth, I've never heard of these people or this game before
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

Can't wait to see WoW made more into other games ... like world quests and shit got added when they grabbed the Diablo team.

Quote Originally Posted by kranur View Post
    Can't wait to see WoW made more into other games ... like world quests and shit got added when they grabbed the Diablo team.
    you rater have nothing like in SL? you can farm that CN for 1 year on a private server then, gl
    I.O BFA Season 3

Quote Originally Posted by kranur View Post
    Heaven forbid they try new things!

Quote Originally Posted by Soikona View Post
    I admit i haven't heard of the game before but the game is being shut down in 2023.
    Each to their own, but "fantastic games" are usually not ones that get shut down after ~2 years.

While the deal is obviously a factor here, the game could've been integrated into B-net and received further support if Blizzard deemed it decent enough (which they seemingly don't).

Completely disregarding that i'm rather baffled by the fact that Blizzard just casually wants to integrate over 100 people into an existing team when they are right now neckdeep in the production of an expansion that is supposed to come out in ~5 months.

This really need to be emphasised, this isn't an integration of that studio into Blizzard as a whole where you can spread it across multiple teams, that is this studio being integrated into just the WoW team.

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    I admit i haven't heard of the game before but the game is being shut down in 2023.
    Each to their own, but "fantastic games" are usually not ones that get shut down after ~2 years.
    You mean 4? It was in early access in 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    You mean 4? It was in early access in 2018.
    I mean sure, but then we can also argue whether an early access counts as actual release or when the developer says "the game is now being fully released".

Which to me seems like a rather semantic argument considering that it doesn't exactly increase its lifespan by a massive degree.

The have the small task to make Wow good again after being awful for 8 years...

Quote Originally Posted by Kiivar86 View Post
    Heaven forbid they try new things!
    Amen. It's not like World Quests aren't an improvement over doing the same daily quests over and over and over and over and over again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soikona View Post
    Don't be silly. There is a 0% chance WoW would ever change like that. No game ever does, and for a good reason, especially an ancient game like WoW. The game is largely comprised of old veterans, and doing something like that is not a recipe for a disaster; it's the fucking anarchists cookbook. Because of it's age, it doesn't bring in new people like it used to. It can only try to keep in the old ones as best as it can. Doing radical changes like that alienates your playerbase real quick.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

I mean sure, but then we can also argue whether an early access counts as actual release or when the developer says "the game is now being fully released".

Which to me seems like a rather semantic argument considering that it doesn't exactly increase its lifespan by a massive degree.
    It's not semantics, it would have died in early access if it wasn't that good.

Early access isn't some sort of immunity to getting cancelled.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    It's not semantics, it would have died in early access if it wasn't that good.
    Well, it died two years after full launch.
    That's less bad than dying during early access but still not a success.

Quote Originally Posted by SinR View Post
    They already have that

- - - Updated - - -

For the record, it was rumored ages ago that Blizzard was working on a MOBA mode when a specific battleground map was data mined in some alpha build of an expansion, but obviously nothing ever came of it.

In other words, it's not entirely unthinkable for Blizzard to consider implementing a game mode where it really doesn't belong.

In any case, I think if Blizzard was to ever implement a battle royale mode into any of their franchises (late as ever), it'd be Overwatch.
    Especially with the transition to f2p when Overwatch 2 launches.
    Last edited by Unlimited Power; 2022-06-29 at 05:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

Odd they'd buy out a studio to put them to work on their current franchise, closing down Spellbreaker servers next year.

Guessing they'll have them develop a new Battle Royale PvP mode for WoW.
    Last edited by Daedius; 2022-06-29 at 05:28 PM.

Completely disregarding that i'm rather baffled by the fact that Blizzard just casually wants to integrate over 100 people into an existing team when they are right now neckdeep in the production of an expansion that is supposed to come out in ~5 months.
    There's little reason to assume they would integrate them into the current team working on DF release. They will likely be assigned to 10.2, 10.3, or even the second team working on 11.0. But hey, Blizz makes dumbass decisions here and there so who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes Dagon View Post
    There's little reason to assume they would integrate them into the current team working on DF release. They will likely be assigned to 10.2, 10.3, or even the second team working on 11.0. But hey, Blizz makes dumbass decisions here and there so who knows.
    Under the deal, Boston-based Proletariat will become part of Blizzard, and its team of 100 people will begin working on World of Warcraft, including the Dragonflight expansion coming later this year.
    Disregarding that this is arguably the lion's share of the team at this point who is working on 10.0 DF, since they want to get the Expansion out of the door ASAP it seems.
    Sure, you have people working on things ahead, but that's likely pre production at this point, which isn't the kind of part where you need a team of over 100 people on it, especially people that little to no experience in the genre.

Quote Originally Posted by SinR View Post
    They already have that

- - - Updated - - -

Nobody else has either. That's why they were going bankrupt and had to staff-aug for Bliz starting in May.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eosia View Post
    Amen. It's not like World Quests aren't an improvement over doing the same daily quests over and over and over and over and over again.
    World quests are exactly the same as daily quests, they just don't take up a spot in your quest log.

The reason for world quests was to draw attention away from how silly it is to have quests still capped at 25.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes Dagon View Post
    They've already been working on Dragonflight since May.
    Snarky: Adjective - Any language that contains quips or comments containing sarcastic or satirical witticisms intended as blunt irony. Usually delivered in a manner that is somewhat abrupt and out of context and intended to stun and amuse.

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    I mean yea, it kind of is?

"Early access" means the game is all, but finished and due to release very soon in the future. What sort of publisher or developer would just cancel their game just weeks/days before they were to officially release it? Especially considering the months and/or years it took just to get to that point....That just seems extremely nonsensical to me.
    ... One that can tell if their game is flopping and realizes there's no point making a money pit of a loss from their resources when it's a free to play game...?

Like you realize Realm Royale has been basically abandoned and yet it's still in early access?

This is really silly considering it takes a grand total of a quick Google search to see that Spellbreak was pretty well received but it just didn't hold up against the popularity of games like Fortnite and Apex being their competition.

It was a great game. It just couldn't compete with popularity