Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mbit2 View Post
    No i get that but how is that even a counterpoint to "putting more unnecessary allergens in food is bad"? Its that some embrace the slippery slope and if some things are bad lets fuck it all up?
    Because "allergens" are everywhere, already. You're hand-wringing over nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Because "allergens" are everywhere, already. You're hand-wringing over nothing.
    lol no, you just drew worst card with wheat allergy. And instead of making things better you advocate for letting others suffer your fate.

10+ Year Old Account
    lol no, you just drew worst card with wheat allergy. And instead of making things better you advocate for letting others suffer your fate.
    You seriously don't understand how common various allergens actually are. See also: dairy, eggs, soy, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    No i get that but how is that even a counterpoint to "putting more unnecessary allergens in food is bad"? Its that some embrace the slippery slope and if some things are bad lets fuck it all up?
    Wait until you hear where carmine dye comes from, my dude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    In the US severe corn allergy is far worse.
    Try eating shit if you get alergic reactions to Xanthan Gum. There are a few cases in the US.
    - Lars

Quote Originally Posted by Muzjhath View Post
    In the US severe corn allergy is far worse.
    Try eating shit if you get alergic reactions to Xanthan Gum. There are a few cases in the US.
    Pfft. And good luck with anything that has high frutose corn syrup.

I have sensitive feet, can we cushion the entire world please?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    You will eventually realize nobody takes you seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i am no weeb. i am just a connoisseur of fine waifus.

the thing is... preventing contamination entirely is pretty damn difficult. on a personal level you could just not bring any of the allergen into the house and it still doesn't stop you from exposure entirely unless you never leave the house EVER and require anyone coming in to go through decontamination process. with manufacturing though, it means having a separate factory for each allergen. and before you say that I'm exaggerating - when labels state traces? that's just they are. potential traces from manufacturing several similar products on the same factory floor (example from personal life - its damn near impossible to find frozen vegetables that are entirely free from any traces of dairy, because chances are regular frozen broccoli or veggie mix is being packed in the same place as the cheese sauce versions) and yes those traces are required to be listen

making a better world would require better treatment of allergies from having medication be more accessible, to developing better treatments, NOT by banning every and all contaminant, because guess what? its impossible! statistically everything and anything can be an allergen.

Woke is a racist and homophobic term used by conservatives.
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    Woke is a racist and homophobic term used by conservatives.
    Good for you! Or sorry to hear that?

I like being vegetarian, my favorite comeback when people tell me what to eat is telling them what they should eat: a dick

Or if they're the MAGA alpha male type: a bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    the thing is... preventing contamination entirely is pretty damn difficult. on a personal level you could just not bring any of the allergen into the house and it still doesn't stop you from exposure entirely unless you never leave the house EVER and require anyone coming in to go through decontamination process. with manufacturing though, it means having a separate factory for each allergen. and before you say that I'm exaggerating - when labels state traces? that's just they are. potential traces from manufacturing several similar products on the same factory floor (example from personal life - its damn near impossible to find frozen vegetables that are entirely free from any traces of dairy, because chances are regular frozen broccoli or veggie mix is being packed in the same place as the cheese sauce versions) and yes those traces are required to be listen

making a better world would require better treatment of allergies from having medication be more accessible, to developing better treatments, NOT by banning every and all contaminant, because guess what? its impossible! statistically everything and anything can be an allergen.
    You are looking at the most extreme case here. Most people can still eat the thing they are allergic too and just have to deal with a explosion on the toilet. Trace amounts don't even register for them so its just a matter of limiting it to help the majority of the allergic people.

The idea is also not to ban all ingredients but limit the amount per product. Bakery using wheat+milk is obviously less inclusive than selling the ingredients separate as breath made with water and regular milk. Its really simple: If you don't put more allergens where you dont need them more people can buy the product.

1+ Year Old Account
    Peanuts arent put in breadth and pasta... the basic issue is can you still trust the food? And the answer is no cause they legalized safety standards away.
    I'm allergic to birch pollen, birch pollen is EVERYWHERE during spring/early summer. Ban birches and cut them all down please.

I also have several cross allergies stemming from it, including apple, potatoes, carrots, peanuts and hazelnuts. Do you know what I don't do? Eat stuff that's labelled as containing them.
    Last edited by lllll; 2023-02-14 at 03:55 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You are looking at the most extreme case here. Most people can still eat the thing they are allergic too and just have to deal with a explosion on the toilet. Trace amounts don't even register for them so its just a matter of limiting it to help the majority of the allergic people.

The idea is also not to ban all ingredients but limit the amount per product. Bakery using wheat+milk is obviously less inclusive than selling the ingredients separate as breath made with water and regular milk. Its really simple: If you don't put more allergens where you dont need them more people can buy the product.
    Again, the fact that anything can be an allergen and yet you're hyperfocusing on this one ingredient in particular indicates your concern isn't actually the potential of it being an allergen.

Stop grasping at straws and take the L.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

What I wonder is why companies trying to sell plant/insect based stuff insist on calling it a variation of meat or sausage or burger etc. Come up with an original description, not some kind of substitute. People don't want substitutes, at least I don't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    What I wonder is why companies trying to sell plant/insect based stuff insist on calling it a variation of meat or sausage or burger etc. Come up with an original description, not some kind of substitute. People don't want substitutes, at least I don't.
    Some vegetarians don't like meat for flavour reasons. Others just have ethical issues, or health issues. And they create a market for those kinds of substitutes, because they otherwise enjoy that kind of food, if they can ethically source it or have it fit into their health regime.

15+ Year Old Account
    Because calling it plant based upsets the fragile snowflakes on the right, and calling it insect based makes most people gag. It's all marketing.
    Last edited by Cthulhu 2020; 2023-02-15 at 12:01 AM.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    It's all marketing.
    Which will be lost on me. If I drink coffee I want the real thing and not something grain based. Milk the same thing. And if you sell me a burger I want an animal to have died for it.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the products itself. I'm happy for lactose intolerant or vegetarian people to have an alternative. Personally I love cheese and eat more of it than meat. And I will try insect based food too and if it is any good maybe it can even replace meat in my diet. But as long as it is called meat I rather get the real thing.

Hope that makes sense in a way :-)

Which will be lost on me. If I drink coffee I want the real thing and not something grain based. Milk the same thing. And if you sell me a burger I want an animal to have died for it.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the products itself. I'm happy for lactose intolerant or vegetarian people to have an alternative. Personally I love cheese and eat more of it than meat. And I will try insect based food too and if it is any good maybe it can even replace meat in my diet. But as long as it is called meat I rather get the real thing.

Hope that makes sense in a way :-)
    I understand that, I think most western vegans started off as meat eaters so want something equivalent. That then opens them up to ' you want a sausage just eat a sausage ',

Personally when I eat vegan I try to eat none processed so I might get a idk sweet potato curry. One of my favourite restaurants is veggie, part vegan and it's amazing but you can't get like vegan burgers there, it's just what they eat in the part of the world those people started in.
    https://bundobust.com/

no, I'm looking at actual cases here and the fact and the matter is - those ingredients are on the labels NOT because someone is deliberately putting whatever where it doesn't need to be, but because THERE ARE TRACE AMMOUNTS OF IT. they are legally required to do so because of your so called extreme cases.

also, spoken like a person who had only had no personal experience of an allergic reaction, even of the "milder" variety.