10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    You shouldn't. Anakin was Force Jesus and already using the force before training.

Rey is Luke. If Luke can do it, Rey can do it. Is that good screenwriting? No. But Force Awakens is a cheesy rip off of New Hope anyways. Inserting any gender politics is just lazy thinking when you can point at the rest of the movie and not see much value to begin with. You'll notice that characters like Poe Damaran have almost no personality yet almost entirely escapes any form of criticism from a certain segment of the internet.
    Ima be real here, while I liked rey in the force awakens, I now hate her because of the sequels. She shouldnt have won any of the lightsaber fights, until then 3rd film. It basically killed any tension that any of the villains had.

Yes a new hope didnt have luke technically not losing... but he never directly fought against vader in the film. It made vader that much more imposing in the following films. A skilled fighter pilot and the one to kill obi wan. Rey beat down kylo, and exposed him as an angry boi toi. It doesn't get any better in the following films.

Poe was there to literally just fill in Luke's piloting. That's all. Maybe a bit of wedge involved. But yes, poe was bland. The worst one was finn. He had so much potential but was wasted. They could have leaned further into the PTSD of being a stormtrooper or bringing in their tactics to other things... or hell being force sensitive. Nope. Nada.

Basically the sequels feel like they were there to sell off of nostalgia while trying to put the older generation of fans down.

10+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Skayth View Post
    Ima be real here, while I liked rey in the force awakens, I now hate her because of the sequels. She shouldnt have won any of the lightsaber fights, until then 3rd film. It basically killed any tension that any of the villains had.
    The throne room fight in TLJ was terrible in terms of how they had the fight happen. I don't blame the character for it, because it is clear they didn't bother to actually think that fight through. But, Rey should have died so many times in that fight. Like there is one part where the guard she is fighting clearly has a weapon in his other hand, but doesn't use it while having her (at least partially) restrained.

I can't blame the character because the person choreographed the fight didn't pay attention to what weapons were involved. But, once you notice that scene, you can see others where both Kylo and Rey should have died or been injured at least.

Also, I don't like how the fight with the reborn Palpatine ended. None of that fight made any sense in how it was handled.
    Last edited by Darththeo; 2022-09-22 at 03:05 PM.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Fortress of Arrogance View Post
    For him to be Jesus he'd require to be infallible and pure, and you would know he's far from that.
    For him to be Jesus as far as power levels go he'd have to not lose a single fight, and you would know he has lost his share.
    For him to be Jesus he'd have to win his inner turmoil over chaos and emotions, and you would know he didn't.
    Now then, does he strike you as Jesus, still? If yes, why?

Except she's better, a direct upgrade, infallible, perfect, super-strong, genius at learning and doing stuff.
    Almost like a...Jesus.
    Huh.

Kuhtrappali(he's so void of character I gave him a generic surname) escapes criticism due to melanine, the other, more strongar form of midichlorians.
    Or he was immaculately conceived by the Force and destined to be the Chosen One.

Any skills she displays on screen are there to make pretty special effects. And she only exists to serve the story of Vader 2.0 (Kylo Ren). Its pretty much a dumber version of the Vader-Luke story.

I have no fucking idea who you're talking about.

You shouldn't. Anakin was Force Jesus and already using the force before training.

Rey is Luke. If Luke can do it, Rey can do it. Is that good screenwriting? No. But Force Awakens is a cheesy rip off of New Hope anyways. Inserting any gender politics is just lazy thinking when you can point at the rest of the movie and not see much value to begin with. You'll notice that characters like Poe Damaran have almost no personality yet almost entirely escapes any form of criticism from a certain segment of the internet.
    in force awakens Rey actualy had more stated AND implied justification for what she could do then Luke did in new hope. she didn't turn into a plot device until second and especially third movie and even then, she was only ridiculously powerful when plot demanded it, and powerless in the next scene because again - lot demanded it. what she could or could not do kept changing so randomly, while rather then let the movie breathe and let her build relationships with other characters - they just banged ALL of them around like a kid with a bunch of action dolls. what I'm also trying to say is writing for Rey wasn't the only issue with sequels. I still have 2 posters of her on my walls because at this point after playing bioware games for over a decade, I'm used to loving a character concept even if execution is not the greatest.

but I digress about to finally watch ep 6, but having read the spoilers, I'm.. a little frustrated. because it seems like its trying to be a sitcom.... but also trying to have an overarching story that connects to the MCU.. and I just don't know....

P.S. apparently Blonsky is going to be part of the Thunderbolts. not entirely sure how is going to go from cult leader to that team but.. who knows...
    Last edited by Witchblade77; 2022-09-22 at 03:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisei View Post
    I am not and have never denied this. My agenda is to get rid of sexism in movies and series, while the show clearly just wants to turn things around and in an act of petty revenge distorts the presentation of men as much as the presentation of women was distorted in the past.
    This remains entirely in your head; a narrative you invented and brought with you to the show, and which you have consistently and unapologetically lied about the show to try and ram that narrative into place.

You're making this shit up. Nothing about this show is "sexist".

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    P.S. apparently Blonsky is going to be part of the Thunderbolts. not entirely sure how is going to go from cult leader to that team but.. who knows...
    IP is there to be used. I'm perfectly content with giving Tim Roth money. Any other details can be worried about after the film is released.

Or he was immaculately conceived by the Force and destined to be the Chosen One.
    Was he and did he, though?
    I will point out these again:
    For him to be Jesus he'd require to be infallible and pure, and you would know he's far from that.
    For him to be Jesus as far as power levels go he'd have to not lose a single fight, and you would know he has lost his share.
    For him to be Jesus he'd have to win his inner turmoil over chaos and emotions, and you would know he didn't.

Any skills she displays on screen are there to make pretty special effects.
    And have close to no reason for her to be able to brandish them, we've seen no growth, no character development, no teaching and studying bits for Rey the MarySueWalker to be able to do most of these.

And she only exists to serve the story of Vader 2.0 (Kylo Ren).
    Except that they've failed at establishing Ugly Man as a vader 2.0.
    Oh, and except it's a Rey story, not the other way around, what with oh so sudden reveal that she's a Palpatine.

Its pretty much a dumber version of the Vader-Luke story.
    Except there's not even a hint of relatable Luke-Vader dynamic between the two: they tried to pull off a romantic story of redemption through love and sacrifice by the end of the third movie, and that's that.

I have no fucking idea who you're talking about.
    The character of Oscar Isaac.
    Said character has high level of the other, better midichlorians called melanin, which makes said character almost immune to any form of criticism.

IP is there to be used. I'm perfectly content with giving Tim Roth money. Any other details can be worried about after the film is released.
    oh, I love him in this role, he is fantastic and teamup poster they have shown - looked like it could be fun. I'm mostly have absolutely no personal theories how they are going to take him from where he is in She-hulk to Thunderbolts. but I also have no idea how they are getting BUCKY of all people to be there, but I guess that's the fun part.

edited to add, half way through an episode. I'm having fun with sitcom aspect of it. I guess it sorta fits into a bottle episode format? but I'm still kinda thrown every time they try to connect to the rest of MCU. The show is really REALLY self aware though, with Jen's voicemail to Bruce indirectly acknowledging how wobbly the passage of time felt..
    Last edited by Witchblade77; 2022-09-22 at 03:51 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Was he and did he, though?
    I will point out these again:
    You don't understand the concept of a metaphor.

And the bold is wrong, but goes into an area that isn't board appropriate.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

10+ Year Old Account
    oh, I love him in this role, he is fantastic and teamup poster they have shown - looked like it could be fun. I'm mostly have absolutely no personal theories how they are going to take him from where he is in She-hulk to Thunderbolts. but I also have no idea how they are getting BUCKY of all people to be there, but I guess that's the fun part.
    The fun bit of Thunderbolts to me is most of those people either are good people, or at least want to be good people and fail at it. Taskmaster and Valentina are the wildcards to me. Even US Agent is a damaged person who wants to be a good guy; being forced to work with Bucky might be the best thing for him, because if anyone can relate, it's Bucky, who'd done far worse than Walker ever did (if less publicly) and still managed to put it behind him.

But Yelena and Alexei and Ghost? All three of them are good people, if willing to go to significant lengths in pursuit of what they see as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    You don't understand the concept of a metaphor.
    I do.
    Hence my pointing out those three bits that make your so-called metaphor wrong.

And the bold is wrong, but goes into an area that isn't board appropriate.
    Did he not lose his first fight with Dookie?

Quit the talk about social agendas. It is and always has been off-topic for this subforum. You can try your rants in GenOT if you wish, but you probably know they won't fly there as well. If you can't discuss the show for what's in the show itself, take a breath and go outside. And no, I don't consider what you perceive to be the agendas of the creators and writers and the vast conspiracy of Hollywood to be "in the show." Further derailing on this topic will result in infractions - y'all have been toing the line far too long. If you don't like the show, stop watching it. Pursuing "an agenda to get this to stop" is culture war bullshit, and not permitted here.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do.
    Hence my pointing out those three bits that make your so-called metaphor wrong.

Did he not lose his first fight with Dookie?
    You assume that I was referring to the Anakin side of the metaphor.

Thanks for proving you don't understand them.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    The fun bit of Thunderbolts to me is most of those people either are good people, or at least want to be good people and fail at it. Taskmaster and Valentina are the wildcards to me. Even US Agent is a damaged person who wants to be a good guy; being forced to work with Bucky might be the best thing for him, because if anyone can relate, it's Bucky, who'd done far worse than Walker ever did (if less publicly) and still managed to put it behind him.

But Yelena and Alexei and Ghost? All three of them are good people, if willing to go to significant lengths in pursuit of what they see as necessary.
    Taskmaster could make sense since Yelena freed her so there's that connection. Ghost is actualy the other one I'm a bit unsure about, but I'm assuming that either Valentina wasn't involved in the initial experiments, or she was but Ghost doesn't know it. I would imagine they helped stabilize her and then offered her the team, rather then holding treatment over her head as incentive, cause the whole movie happened because of how she was forced to work initially.

I'm honestly genuinely curious now how do they get that team together. like yeah, I can see US agent there and Yelena is already working with Valentina, so Taskmaster and Alexei (who has been shown to be embracing his fatherhood to the girls and may also suffer some guilt for not being there for Natasha) joining is not as out of the blue for me, but the others? I'm looking forward to seeing how they do that.

P.S. finished an episode. Jameela Jamil as your stereotypical influencer is goddamn brilliant. Malory and Nicki teamup is #chefskiss. episode itself was fun and funny. still not sold at how they are trying to sit on two chairs at once.

You assume that I was referring to the Anakin side of the metaphor.
    I assume this guy I quoted before and now was referring to Anakin alright.
    Oh look, he even states it outright:
    Thanks for proving you don't understand them.
    Hat on fire.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    If you don't like the show, stop watching it.
    No.

I will cease with offtopic, now.
    Cya tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Taskmaster and Valentina are the wildcards to me.
    That's the essential question of the Thunderbolts/Antiheroes group: is Amanda Waller a bitch? Because Louis-Dreyfus is gonna play that role on a more comic tone given that A) this is the MCU and B) she is a comedic genius ( Veep is the best comedy of the decade)...but that's the role: the person that does the difficult decissions not the inexhistent moral decissions of "Villain wants to destroy world....we fight villain!".

On one side many people will rise the hand: Total Bitch dude. 100% certified bitch. And to that I can only ask: Do we ask to the parents of the chidren that didn't die because Waller decissions save them?

10+ Year Old Account
    I assume this guy I quoted before and now was referring to Anakin alright.
    Oh look, he even states it outright:

Hat on fire.
    Again, you don't understand metaphors. There are two sides, you argument Anakin must never lose a fight to be a Jesus analogue is faulty because that isn't true for Jesus. Anakin is a Jesus analogue because he is a miracle birth destined to do something for the population as a whole. The difference is Anakin fails at being willing to sacrifice to achieve that destiny while Jesus does not.

No hat on fire here. You really don't understand metaphors. And this entire argument to both the original person and myself proves that beyond all doubt.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PrimiOne View Post
    That's the essential question of the Thunderbolts/Antiheroes group: is Amanda Waller a bitch? Because Louis-Dreyfus is gonna play that role on a more comic tone given that A) this is the MCU and B) she is a comedic genius ( Veep is the best comedy of the decade)...but that's the role: the person that does the difficult decissions not the inexhistent moral decissions of "Villain wants to destroy world....we fight villain!".

On one side many people will rise the hand: Total Bitch dude. 100% certified bitch. And to that I can only ask: Do we ask to the parents of the chidren that didn't die because Waller decissions save them?
    Well, they aren't necessarily just anti-heroes. They can be anti-villains in this kind of group too, it depends on how they are built.

We just had the announcement and characters, so there is a lot left to be explored right now. it looks interesting.
    Last edited by Darththeo; 2022-09-22 at 04:15 PM.
    –The Sith Code

Okay I have to say that is a terrible law firm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    Okay I have to say that is a terrible law firm.
    I think that's part of the joke.
    –The Sith Code

Bucky is actually perfect for the team. Yelena and Taskmaster were both brainwashed into becoming assassins but now have had their minds freed from that control. Ghost and John Walker both had something happen to them and they lost control...but now want to atone. Basically, they're all like him in one way or another. He's basically the perfect guide for them.

The real standout there is Red Guardian...but I think it's going to be pretty obvious he's only there for Yelena.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.