Poll: Which Expansion Were you Most Invested in?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    WoTLK for me. It was when I really started to learn how to raid, understand rotation and stat priorities. We raided hardcore and where one of the top guilds on the server. I was one of the raid leaders and worked to develop strats. It was the peak of my WoW 'career'.

I still enjoyed every expansion since but none will ever compare to that time. Now I am playing Classic WotLK and nostalgia is hitting hard.

WotLK. I had no job or life at the time so I just played WoW all day.

I started in late WOTLK, so I would say Legion followed closely by Mists of Pandaria, and Cataclysm.

The ones that I was the least invested in were Shadowlands followed by Warlords of Draenor.

Played a unhealthy amount of wow in most expansions up till legion then got very bored in bfa and even worse in shadowlands, cata was on the low side too but i guess bc, wrath and mop was when i played the most.

BC is my favorite expansion followed by mop.
    Do you hear the voices too?

Wrath, Cataclysm, Mists of Pandaria and Legion are the expansion had the most investment in.

WotLK = Cataclysm and Legion with Mists of Pandaria trailing a bit behind due to IRL obligations near the end of MoP.

Warlords of Draenor I played heavily until January where I quit playing until June of 2015, and then another hiatus till May of 2016. Battle for Azeroth I had some investment but not as much as the aforementioned four, and in Shadowlands kind of weakened. I had more investment in Warlords of Draenor than I do in Shadowlands.

The expansion had I the least amount of investment in would be TBC as I started playing WoW in the Summer of 2008.
    Last edited by Melorandor; 2022-09-28 at 01:11 PM.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    BC and Wrath by far.
    Then I´d say MoP

3+ Year Old Account
    Well, looking back at the xpacs in chronological order:

TBC: Ended up getting booted from my raiding guild fairly early on, so I ended up more or less drifting through what few pugs I could get into for the bulk of the expansion. Overall, definitely pretty low ranking.

WotLK: Was fairly similar to TBC for the first half, but I joined what would be my long-term raiding guild here. But since it was a bit friendlier towards solo play, I got a lot more mileage out of it than I did TBC, enough so to break 9k achievement points before Cata.

Cata: Not really much to say on this front. Was actually a pretty decent timeframe in terms of real life stuff, but overall, between time and degree of personal investment, this one's kinda mid-tier.

MoP: This expansion's definitely up there. The new forms of content added gave me no shortage of stuff to work on, though the mandatory dailies for the bulk of the xpac did wear me down a fair bit.

WoD: Definitely was investing pretty hard on this early in, but tapered off a bit over time. Overall, probably on par with Cata. Real shame I missed out on the big gold farms.

Legion: This may have been my peak in terms of having free time. I'd pin this one fairly close to MoP overall, but a bit shy of it. Doesn't help that there was some guild shakeups during Antorus.

BFA: At this point, I was starting to lose a bit of steam. Ended up having too much to do, and not enough time to do it. This is sort of in the Cata/WoD range.

SL: I quit mid-xpac, which I've never done at any point for any meaningful period of time in my long WoW career. That's all that really needs to be said.

So overall, I'd say MoP > Legion > WotLK > BFA > WoD > Cata > TBC > SL.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's hard to do a direct comparison since I played the different expansions in different ways. A lot of it was determined not so much by my personal motivation but what guild I happened to be in at the time.

If I had to rank them then I would say SL > BFA > WotLK > TBC > MoP > Cata> Legion > WoD

Vanilla: I spent a lot of time doing Casual content (PvP and 5-man PvE) but did not do any actual raiding.

BC: The casual guild I was in focused on 10-man raiding (Karazhan) and so I mainly just did that, along with 5-man dungeons and some casual PvP.

WotLK: The guild I was in was more hardcore, we did both 10-man and 25-man raiding, and I was very invested in doing my part. I did some Casual 5-man PvE and some PvP also.

Cata: I went back to a Casual guild, where we did some Casual raiding, and I did some casual 5-man PvE.

MoP: Still in a Casual guild, where we did some Casual raiding, and I did some casual 5-man PvE. I quit before the end of the expansion when my casual guild disbanded due to lack of people.

WoD: I came back when this expansion launched, but this was probably the expansion that I played the least. The only raiding I did was via Raid Finder, with some casual PvP on the side. Once again I quit before the end of the expansion.

Legion: I came back when this expansion launched, did some casual raiding, but then quit about half way through. I came back toward the end in anticipation of BFA.

BFA: I came back not long before this expansion launched, but ended up in a guild full of douchbags during the first raid tier. After that I found a different guild and my motivation increased dramatically. Although only a Casual AOTC guild, I ended up putting a TON of time into this expansion. At one point I had one of the highest level Heart of Azeroth necks on my entire server. I started to get into M+ pretty aggressively especially toward the end of the expansion.

SL: I have been going full-throttle with this expansion since Day 1. I spent less time questing than BFA, but much more time doing things like M+. Still in the same Casual AOTC guild.

So, long story short:
    WotLK: The only expansion where I really raided hardcore.
    BFA: The expansion where I spent WAY too much time questing, etc.
    SL: The expansion where I really took M+ to the next level.
    Last edited by GotNoRice; 2022-09-28 at 09:59 PM.

Definitely WOLK. To me it is the best mmo expansion ever made. It was a perfect blend of lore, atmosphere, difficulty if you were not a tryhard and balance. Even with dks being so overpowered, it somehow felt right lol. I loved it from start to finish.

Wrath. The aesthetics, the zones, the casual friendly endgame systems. The best time I ever had in WoW.

WoTLK, Legion, Cataclysm.

Had the most time invested in WoW from TBC to Cataclysm, TBC was the entry for hardcore raiding and I didn't enjoy the attunements.
    WoTLK was amazing for me lorewise, gameplay and balance in how hardcore/no-life I'd go into it.
    Legion I loved all the class lore and the story in there picking up on one of the big ones from lore (if they did good or bad with him was of no interest to me at the time)
    And Cataclysm, I enjoyed the revamp to the world, the guild I was in, the deathwing deaths just cause he flew by, and going to "Egypt" was nice wished they delved deeper in this.

Top 3 were Burning Crusade, Wrath of the Lich King, and MoP. Honorable mention to Legion.

Least engagement was in WoD, Shadowlands, and Battle for Azeroth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wrath and Legion. WotLK was the first time I fully experienced endgame and Legion class fantasy was really fun.

I’m sure it was Legion on my mage. I remember getting all the reps to exalted and have very fond memories of the Suramar quest lines.
    Mighty one, never forget.

tbc. it was my first expansion in any game. i remember me and a bunch of friends standing in line to buy a copy for the midnight release.
    i still to this day enjoy going there for leveling even though questing has become way better later on. the zones, the atmosphere are just that great.

stepping through the dark portal for the first time is probably one of my favorite moments of any game.
    I had fun once, it was terrible.

The Lightbringer theostrichsays's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In my douche canoe crossing the Delaware.
    I would say Vanilla followed by Wrath and WoD being at a tie. I have almost every Aotc, and most raids on mythic, and the only raid prior to achieves I didn't clear was the original Naxx. I've always been reasonably active in game, but RP-PvP, and PvP with friends is always what had me the most invested.
    Killing a boss once or twice is cool, getting loot is cool, but it was a means to an end. Running my 10,000th Alterac Valley with my buds, is almost as good as my first one. Those were the expansions I did the most PvP in, though MoP I did the most arena/rbg I don't look back on that with near the same fondness that I think of our other escapades.
    The old Ashran premade vs premades were some of the best times in WoW for me, contrary to a lot of people's WoD experiences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelhander View Post
    Thank you for mansplaining how opinions work.
    Also you're wrong, the people who agree with you are wrong, and you're probably ugly.
    Ever been so angry at everyone on the internet you tell a woman she is mansplaining?

MoP - started raiding in generall 'cause not (at least less) crappy laptop anymore.
    & Legion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irian View Post
    I love how many people go the "fuck feminism!! ruining society!" Never change, "/r/incels" champion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Moose Fandango View Post
    No more eeeelves!

Was extremely invested from mid classic to the end of MoP then, 1/3 of the way through WoD it started dropping off. I was mostly out of it by mid Legion cause it was so popular that I realized something must be wrong with me & not the content.

Cataclysm - Mists of Pandaria.

Pre-college years of working a half shift job and not having to fall asleep early for school, was when I had time to play WoW the most. I miss it