1+ Year Old Account

Question What's the longest item name in WoW anyway?

Kinda weird topic but i've just been chatting with my friends and one guy brought up some long-ass name of a sword from russian MMO Allods Online.

That got me thinking. Here in WoW we obviously have [Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker] and judging by a quick google search, a [Merciless Gladiator's Crossbow of the Phoenix] which is longer by one symbol. But that info is from 2009. Surely now we have something else? It's been 13 years. Blizz must've added something that beats it, right?

“You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

10+ Year Old Account
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Lochton View Post
    Can't find anything 50+, wonder if something exists (besides weird unimplemented names)
    – C.S. Lewis

Are those long-ass names, sarcastic, against the titles the old Kings had (e.g. "Daenerys Stormborn of House Targaryen, the First of Her Name, Queen of the Andals and the First Men, Protector of the Seven Kingdoms, the Mother of Dragons, the Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, the Unburnt, the Breaker of Chains")?

Did someone say..

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by God Save The King View Post
    Can't find anything 50+, wonder if something exists (besides weird unimplemented names)
    50 might be a hard character length on a database field somewhere that stores item names. It's a pretty common place to set down a hard limit on data length.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

You can probably just grep that from the game assets database, but I don't know how to do it.
    The people who code wowhead and similar sites like wowdb can definitely do it.

Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    Are those long-ass names, sarcastic, against the titles the old Kings had
    On topic: Most likely not.

OFF topic: Those are different smaller titles, not one long title.

You think you do, but you don't ©
    Rogues are fine ©
    We're pretty happy with rogues ©
    Haste will fix it ©

Quote Originally Posted by Throwme View Post
    On topic: Most likely not.

OFF topic: Those are different smaller titles, not one long title.
    as someone already posted, inflatable windfury would like a word';

Inflatable Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker

at 55 symbols. So no, there is no "hard limit" of 50 as @Aucald says there might be. While there might be a limit, 50 is a bit low for any database entry. Be it SQL or other stuff.

Longest wearable item name I have found so far is https://www.wowhead.com/spell=137815...-of-meditation with 61 total characters.

The longest item name for any item I have found so far is https://www.wowhead.com/item=102534/...on-of-tenacity at 63 characters.

This was pulled from a spreadsheet that contains all items through WoD, so it is slightly outdated.

10+ Year Old Account
    Completely forgot about that junk, haha.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by 8bithamster View Post
    as someone already posted
    You sure this was intended for me? Because if so, I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    50 might be a hard character length on a database field somewhere that stores item names. It's a pretty common place to set down a hard limit on data length.
    That was my thought as well
    – C.S. Lewis

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by 8bithamster View Post
    at 55 symbols. So no, there is no "hard limit" of 50 as Aucald says there might be. While there might be a limit, 50 is a bit low for any database entry. Be it SQL or other stuff.
    I agree it's a low limit, but it's a pretty common one across databases just the same. I think that's just because it's a nice round number, one of the ones it's easy to land on in an arbitrary fashion, and then be forced to increase when you inevitably write data that's more than 50 characters.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    I agree it's a low limit, but it's a pretty common one across databases just the same. I think that's just because it's a nice round number, one of the ones it's easy to land on in an arbitrary fashion, and then be forced to increase when you inevitably write data that's more than 50 characters.
    That's true. Most devs I work with tend to go towards the usual 64/128 limit. Generally 256 is set as a limit because certain windows applications still have a hard capped 256 file name limit (Like Excel for example). It's easier to keep everything at the same limit for them I guess.