Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    WoW isn't that big of a game anymore. You can't just be a WoW content creator. Nothing has killed WoW. The genre is just in steeper decline it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    I don't raid or do dungeons over and over. MoP kept me satisfied throughout the 14 month patch drought because of the sheer amount of things to do. There were 7 zone questlines and they were good, several extensive reputation storylines which were also good, the legendary questline, Timeless Isle was excellently designed (unsurpassed to this day), the celestial tournament, etc. There were also new PvP battlegrounds being added. The RP scene was also thriving and there were huge events being hosted out in the world and PvP wars. Later expansions didn't have anywhere near as much fun stuff to do that interested me. Also the RP scene (at least on my server) is dead-ish compared to the MoP days. No huge PvP campaigns anymore.

agreed

/ten char

Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    Then explain how... the world is littered with puzzles that require multiple people to work together...secrets,rares, zones to group up and farm more dangerous mobs, special summonable bosses.

All you are telling me is you wanna break the game from getting op rewards and that should never happen. You can't come up with a coherant list of what you consider good world content without shouting " NUMBERS GO UP"
    Please see two posts back on what id like to see. No point in further discussion if you are just cherry pick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Except it would only be "textbook" confirmation bias if I fully believed that a third spec was actually coming.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoupa7 View Post
    WoW isn't that big of a game anymore. You can't just be a WoW content creator. Nothing has killed WoW. The genre is just in steeper decline it seems.
    Of course you can, but not on youtube. There is no need for video guides to learn game or "top 10 boots in WoW". There wasn't for years, but WoW youtube was carried by constant drama. Now there is very few potential drama content and creators can't go back to old times.

Similar how discords/wowhead took over forums, twitch took over youtube. Go to twitch tracker and see for yourself, WoW is doing fine, usually stays in top 10.

5+ Year Old Account
    NUMBERS GO UP
    That's the whole point of the game, my dude(tte). Do you really think that someone (outside of a tiny part of the playerbase, maybe), anyone would even bother with M+ or raids if their numbers never went up? Well, the same holds true for everyone - and not only in PvE, but also in PvP, where it theoretically doesn't (or shouldn't) matter.

If X content doesn't give you some kind of progression, which in WoW is defined almost exclusively by player power, then it is going to be niche content at best, dead content at worst. Expecting casuals (i.e. the vast majority of the playerbase) to be hard stuck power-wise shortly after a new xpac/patch launches AND to remain subbed... Let's just say it is not going to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracullus View Post
    Of course you can, but not on youtube. There is no need for video guides to learn game or "top 10 boots in WoW". There wasn't for years, but WoW youtube was carried by constant drama. Now there is very few potential drama content and creators can't go back to old times.

Similar how discords/wowhead took over forums, twitch took over youtube. Go to twitch tracker and see for yourself, WoW is doing fine, usually stays in top 10.
    Most of the videos pre-Shadowlands didn't have to do with drama. And your points aren't specific to the last couple years. Hearthstone is #22 on Twitch so let's not pretend twitch views are the best metric to measure game relevance.

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    If devs keep upholding 10.1-like mechanics in the future (hopefully without requiring 45689346205 types of currency), I could very well see myself returning for 11.0... Assuming that 10.1 isn't just a fluke, of course.
    Sadly, I'm likely dipping back out of WoW, despite it being mostly fun right now, because Blizzard couldn't help being Blizzard. They made the decision to lock the campaign conclusion behind the final boss of the raid but only if you beat him on Normal or higher. LFR players do not get to play out the campaign until the final wing releases in some number of weeks, at which point they are dropping the requirement because for some reason LFR players must be punished

Quote Originally Posted by VMSmith View Post
    Sadly, I'm likely dipping back out of WoW, despite it being mostly fun right now, because Blizzard couldn't help being Blizzard. They made the decision to lock the campaign conclusion behind the final boss of the raid but only if you beat him on Normal or higher. LFR players do not get to play out the campaign until the final wing releases in some number of weeks, at which point they are dropping the requirement because for some reason LFR players must be punished
    If that's true it's insane lmao. What are they thinking?

Having a quest to kill the boss for some patch rewards is fine, but you shouldn't lock anything else behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by Inoculate View Post
    Please see two posts back on what id like to see. No point in further discussion if you are just cherry pick.
    Look the proof is in the pudding... whenever players don't have required items from world content (bonus rolls, valor, rep rewards, etc). It is ignored on mass. When it is required it is universally disliked. There hasn't been a singular example of it being successful. Whenever they focus on the world content wow suffers. From MoP that lost the most subs on record from dailygeddan to wod...

Players are simply not interested in it. Every time blizzard tries to prop up the terrible world content they lose big from it.

- - - Updated - - -

That's the whole point of the game, my dude(tte). Do you really think that someone (outside of a tiny part of the playerbase, maybe), anyone would even bother with M+ or raids if their numbers never went up? Well, the same holds true for everyone - and not only in PvE, but also in PvP, where it theoretically doesn't (or shouldn't) matter.

If X content doesn't give you some kind of progression, which in WoW is defined almost exclusively by player power, then it is going to be niche content at best, dead content at worst. Expecting casuals (i.e. the vast majority of the playerbase) to be hard stuck power-wise shortly after a new xpac/patch launches AND to remain subbed... Let's just say it is not going to work.
    World content gives heroic raid gear and no one still does it. Its just dumpster tier content.

5+ Year Old Account
    World content gives heroic raid gear and no one still does it. Its just dumpster tier content.
    Any verifiable numbers to back up this statement?

It's anecdotal, but as refutation of that nonsense I can say that every time I go to a rare in Zaralek Cavern there are scores of people there fighting it. The Researcher event is always packed. People are all over the place there.

Really...?

Name a sucessful one. ZM,Toghast,the maw, that soulbind farming zone, scenarios?

I know the post under yours talks about the researcher event but most people just afk the bag.

We keep going back to the least successful and most damaging aspect of wow again and again. To see it fail again and again...

Its just time to move on.

5+ Year Old Account
    Really...?

Name a sucessful one. ZM,Toghast,the maw, that soulbind farming zone, scenarios?

I know the post under yours talks about the researcher event but most people just afk the bag.

We keep going back to the least successful and most damaging aspect of wow again and again. To see it fail again and again...

Its just time to move on.
    So no numbers, then?
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

So no numbers, then?
    Name out door content that worked... I can think of timeless and vault for catch up gear but its never worked out and after two decades im tired of meming that i could. There are no numbers because no one in the community gives a damn. Its utterly untracked from complete lack of interest.

Quote Originally Posted by VMSmith View Post
    And here i was looking at blizz launcher to maybe give it a go.

Thanks for the heads up.

5+ Year Old Account
    Name out door content that worked... I can think of timeless and vault for catch up gear but its never worked out and after two decades im tired of meming that i could. There are no numbers because no one in the community gives a damn. Its utterly untracked from complete lack of interest.
    I cannot mention any outdoor content that worked, precisely because it almost never offered any sort of meaning, long term progression. The only exceptions might have been TI, and especially Legion, but we all know how hardcore raiders QQ'd endlessly about being Forced™ to run world quests lmao.

Of course Blizzard folded, as is the case every time hardcore raiders QQ, and thus we got BfA, which was effectively a downgraded Legion, and then SL, which did away with any form of non-instanced power progression (no, Choreghast doesn't count) until 9.2 - and it was too late by then. Far too late.

In other words, stating that outdoors content is unpopular while at the same time failing to mention that said content has traditionally offered very little (if anything at all) in terms of progression... looks quite disingenuous, to put it politely.

Quote Originally Posted by Aliven View Post
    And here i was looking at blizz launcher to maybe give it a go.

Thanks for the heads up.
    I think that 10.1 is a step in the right direction, but they really need to commit to something that isn't raids or M+, since PvP has invariably been a mess in this game. As we say in my country, a single swallow doesn't turn winter into summer.
    Last edited by Soon-TM; 2023-05-28 at 03:57 AM.

In other, stating that outdoors content is unpopular while at the same time failing to mention that said content has traditionally offered very little (if anything at all) in terms of progression... looks quite disingenuous, to put it politely.
    In every MMO, other than WoW, outdoor content is always wildly popular and active. And it's for exactly the reason you hint at, because they develop it to be fun and interesting.

Blizzard develops outdoor content to be as insipid an uninteresting and unrewarding as possible, I imagine because they don't really like it very much and feel that group content is all that should matter. When you design for mediocrity, it's unsurprising that your effort is met with mediocre engagement.

The problem is not outdoor nor solo content, it's Blizzard, who appears to despise both things.

WoW hit a brickwall between Legion, BFA, Shadowlands and Dragonflight.

Legion was the last real legacy making game but even it had problems when people forget that titanforing/legendary RNG and other factors were tediously annoying to deal with.

As for BFA, BFA started strong but ended up trying to cover what should have been 3 seperate expansions ins a single expansion, and ontop of that, it made borrowed powers so bad, it highlighted a giant red flag over blizzards design philosophy, also, this was around the time alot of people left for FF14 and still quite a few play it to this day despite 14 having its own problems lately.

WoW is in a weird spot, it could potentially retake the throne because of Yoshida's lackluster desire to make new content for 14 with enthusiasm, but at the same time, it did so much damage between mid BFA to the beginning of dragonflight that honestly it may take a small miracle to heal the reputation of blizzard games.

Combined with lawsuit after lawsuit, disaster after disaster, blizzard might be trying to make amends, but the damage is done, the scars are permanent this time.

They cant fix the wheel that is wow, its to corrupt to its own core, they cant make that any better anymore.

At best? If I am being generous/optimistic, blizzard might be able to regain some trust if they just started making wow 2 at this point, I cant stress enough how a new MMO, not classic wow, not retail wow, but a new wow itself might just be what people need, a fresh start, not just an old but gold game with too many flaws.

This is why, I dont think even if DF does well, it can truly fix the mess, even if the next expansion after DF does better/amazingly, it wont fix the core problem.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainV View Post
    At best? If I am being generous/optimistic, blizzard might be able to regain some trust if they just started making wow 2 at this point, I cant stress enough how a new MMO, not classic wow, not retail wow, but a new wow itself might just be what people need, a fresh start, not just an old but gold game with too many flaws.
    Given the corruption of the underlying lore, and given their likely loss of people who made WoW succeed in the first place, why should a WoW 2 do any better than any other competing MMO? It wouldn't have the sunk cost anchor keeping (admittedly fewer and fewer) people playing it.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Blizzard should allocate more resources to make more story and world content
    from 3 patches DF got after release one added raid, and all 3 added world content...
    pretending world content is not there or that they dont focus on it enough is either completely ignorant or outright trolling at this point...

- - - Updated - - -

Vanilla had tons of world content. Lots of rep grinds, outdoor dungeons, questlines that spanned both continents. TBC brought dailies with shattari skyguard and netherwing to name a few. Not to mentiom the isle of queldanas and its unique raid unlock.
    all of which is literaly now in game, and more on top of that...

Just because you dont engage with content doesnt mean it never existed nor should.
    you should repeat this to yourself