Spec in need of the most defensive help for m+ and raids?

Been having a long debate about this one,

But in S2, my vote goes to the Devastation Evoker - they can be good, but their chronic witness is survival - literally every other dps spec, has something. I think after that might be warriors.

Warrior can be great for defending others, but in my experience they die a lot in m+

I mean a good barometer is to see how often they die in a group, although player skill goes a long way.

For awhile it was Hunter but now Hunters being kinda mid is what's keeping them out of M+/raids.

Fury is actually pretty self-sustaining with Impending Victory.

I can't speak for Devoker because there's so few of them. They tend to pull threat on pull from certain tanks thanks to their damage profile.

I'd say the only class/spec that really stands out for its ability to die a lot is DH.

I find myself dying constantly on my Devastation Evoker. Yes, we can roll our defensives but it does nothing for sustained damage. I don't know why the mail armor does basically nothing; it's a regular flow of unavoidable damage to the face. And especially in higher Mythics, missing one step can mean certain death.

Herald of the Titans Nightshade711's Avatar
    1+ Year Old Account
    Dev evokers for sure. It’s a shame seeing Augmentation get all these defensives and things like cheat death when they should’ve been class wide.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Chen isn't a Monk

Pretty much every form of hunter... bm being slightly better. Something like SL hunter mark would do wonders for them

Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    For awhile it was Hunter but now Hunters being kinda mid is what's keeping them out of M+/raids.

Fury is actually pretty self-sustaining with Impending Victory.

I can't speak for Devoker because there's so few of them. They tend to pull threat on pull from certain tanks thanks to their damage profile.

I'd say the only class/spec that really stands out for its ability to die a lot is DH.
    Devokers get two talented (proactive) defensives: a 30% damage reduction and a hot that heals 100% damage taken over 8 secs.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Devokers get two talented (proactive) defensives: a 30% damage reduction and a hot that heals 100% damage taken over 8 secs.
    All evokers get that, augmentation doesn't seem to be adding anything to the class as a whole.. all the new stuff is in the spec.. which is WEIRD.

It is making the others feel chronically weak I feel.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MatadorMedia View Post
    I find myself dying constantly on my Devastation Evoker. Yes, we can roll our defensives but it does nothing for sustained damage. I don't know why the mail armor does basically nothing; it's a regular flow of unavoidable damage to the face. And especially in higher Mythics, missing one step can mean certain death.
    Use to be the cloth classes that were paper thin once upon a time, nowadays though. ... warlock has one of the best survival toolkits, shadow priests are pretty robust too.. and mages, well i can't speak for fire or arcane, but frost is pretty solid.

Oh yeah..all mages get ice block and invisibility.

S priest I guess. the only classes I dont have above 60 yet are mage and druid, priest feels like the weakest. Which I guess is fine.. It does fit the fantasy of being a priest.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Gorefiend View Post
    S priest I guess. the only classes I dont have above 60 yet are mage and druid, priest feels like the weakest. Which I guess is fine.. It does fit the fantasy of being a priest.
    SPriest has PW: Shield, a (kinda) cheat death, Dispersion, Desperate Prayer and an (optional) talent in their tree which gives them another huge shield on a pretty consistent basis. That's before you consider VE, Flash Heal and the passive healing from VT, Mind Games and DP, all of which are rotational. There's Void Shift too if you're in a group. If you're dying a bunch as a SPriest you're doing it wrong.
    Last edited by Relapses; 2023-05-31 at 12:25 AM.

I think holy priest. They have the poor mobility of a priest paired with none of the defensives shadow or disc can provide.

I feel like every other is somewhat fine. Or have at least one typ of damage/type of content their defensives work well.

Hard to say between Devoker and Hunters. Hunter defensives have really long CDs, and they have very little self sustain otherwise. Devoker can rotate CDs more effectively and also have better self-heals if/when needed. However, in M+, hunters can burst at the start of a pull without having to worry about threat, unlike Evokers, and Feign Death can be sneaky good in lowering overall damage intake and keeping one alive.

Oh, also Holy Priests. I don't think about them as much since they're...a healer and can bomb enormous heals on themselves, but in terms of damage prevention, you know it's bad when Translucent Image has to qualify as a "defensive"
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Shadow priests are pretty robust too.
    I don't know how fares spriest these days in regards to survivability - but in SL it was by far the weakest (cloth) caster DPS.

They weren't as crap as Holy priest though, so I guess it wasn't so bad
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    SPriest has PW: Shield, a (kinda) cheat death, Dispersion, Desperate Prayer and an (optional) talent in their tree which gives them another huge shield on a pretty consistent basis. That's before you consider VE, Flash Heal and the passive healing from VT, Mind Games and DP, all of which are rotational. There's Void Shift too if you're in a group. If you're dying a bunch as a SPriest you're doing it wrong.
    Who said anyone was dying a bunch? They (Priest) feel the weakest in terms of defensives and solo survivability. Yes, you can heal yourself. Is healing yourself considered a defensive in m+ and raids? is your (kinda) cheat death referring to fade? Spriest PW: S is essentially boosting yourself an extra 10% of your HP on the global cooldown and is better used defensively paired with Body n Soul as a speed boost than an actual defensive, if something is hitting you in m+ or raids a PW:S won't save you even a second. Dispersion yes, and many classes have their defensive options better. Disp takes you out of the battle momentarily, which is a headache we share with mage Ice Block and hunter Turtle. I would not say Dispersion is a great defensive but respectable enough. Both of those classes are also highly more mobile.

VE is good yes, again not a defensive I initially would have considered to be in the spirit of OP's thread. It is more of an assist to the group's healer but I guess in solo content you can use it as a defensive. Then you said "void shift too if you're in a group" which makes me think you didn't read the thread title all the way through.

Yes devastation evokers are #1 followed by hunters(cant tell tho cause the vast majority of them are complete garbage), devastation had the same issue last season as well and afaik nothing has changed much for them defence-wise.

Reason you see warriors die is due to their inability to stand behind mobs and instead eat every cleave in the game as well as not using spell reflect/victory rush, other than that they are pretty tanky.

Shadow priests are like the most meta ranged dps, and its obviously not cause they are squishy...