Questions for Raiding as a Hunter

Alright, so I've done raiding all the way up to 4/5 Hyjal, 3/9 BT as 0/41/20 Marks.
    My armory: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...s&n=Nonotucher

I thought my DPS was pretty good compared to the other hunters who are all BM. However, all of these forum posts about how BM owns and armorying well-geared hunters who are all 41/20/0 has gotten to me. Is BM really the only option for raiding? I really do despise it - and I hate worrying about my pet. I have been marks since I hit 70 and I love having scatter and silence. One thing I find annoying is how damn slow my bow seems to go. The speed is 2.61 with using the ZA bow. I somehow feel like every other hunter is shooting so much faster. I also do not use shot rotation macros or any of that stuff which may add to why pressing the buttons manually seems slow. I try to read the posts on Elitist Jerks about hunter shot rotations and etc. But I just can't understand all the crap they put on there. It's too confusing for me. I'd really appreciate it if someone could give me the low-down on why BM is better and if Marks could possibly be as good as BM if I change some things around. Also is there any difference to the gear I should be getting compared to BM and Marks. Finally, the heck is the deal with shot rotations? Links to sites that are easier to understand would be cool too. Thanks alot.

Edit: BTW I am PvP specced at the moment.

Re: Questions for Raiding as a Hunter

I raided 6/6 ssc and 3/4 tk as BM, 41/20/0. You never really have to worry about your pet, Leo gives you a hard time on his WW's but if you time it right your pet never gets hit really... Ive raided for a few weeks without my pet ever dieing. and on the bosses where there is an aoe, it just adds that much more fun to the encounter, having to bring back hyour pet and whatnot.

Quote Originally Posted by GDMANYAK
    7\45\9 is better build http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=cxbZVE0oVzGestIh

MM can do great damage but T6 is made for BMs ( so ... further u ll have problems vs em ... i mean in damage
    ^^

He's right, if you're raiding any other spec, you fail.

If you're not using a wind serpent you fail.

If you're not using 'the hunter macro' so you only have to push 1 button to raid.... you probably fail.

The end.

As a MM hunter in a raiding situation you will never keep up in damage in comparison to a BM hunter of equivalent gear. The reasoning behind this which you already have hinted at is just how much slower that you shoot compared to a BM hunter. BM hunters get a faster shot going through skills in their tree. My hunter currently is 3/5 T5 and can do 900+ DPS raid buffed with out my pet and 1300+ DPS with pet. Granted a 0/41/20 build doesnt help much either in your situation. A raiding MM hunter should go 7/45/9. But beware that your damage will always be behind BM hunters but your specialties lie in the fact that you can help out with casters and pull them much easier and also the oh crap scatter shot can save many a healer. But in terms of DPS then MM is not the way if you are looking to top the meters. Also in terms of shot rotation, it is meant of the way a hunter weaves Steady Shot in between their Auto Shot without clipping and slowing themselves down. Most hunters also use their macros moreso like I do to cast Kill command as frequently as possible without having to think about it. I also switch my spec to a 0/20/41 build at times pending if I know I gotta deal with bosses that I can use my pet very minimal ie Lurker and Alar, and even then that spec still outdoes MM in terms of DPS in my own opinion. Basically if a simialiarly skilled and geared BM and MM hunter are in a raid then the BM hunter will probably end up doing more damage. I leveled as MM all the way until I got into raidng and even though I was worried about the switch at first like you being concerned about my pet I found out that there really was no need to. But I say if you like your spec that much and are doing decent damage then stick to it and continue to have fun. I know I love the extra AP that the one MM hunter in my guild gives me and I thank him for it all the time. Hopefully this helps you out a bit.

I'll try out the 7/45/9 spec. I also have a question regarding bow speed. How fast should I shoot for as BM and MM? And I remember people telling me that cats & ravagers were the best in DPS; is this correct? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Nonotucher
    I'll try out the 7/45/9 spec. I also have a question regarding bow speed. How fast should I shoot for as BM and MM? And I remember people telling me that cats & ravagers were the best in DPS; is this correct? Thanks.
    http://thottbot.com/?pet=all

Quote Originally Posted by GDMANYAK
    T6 is made for BM
    huh?

I suggest you to spec Survival, then you have an excuse to poor damage. And the playing style is pretty much similar to MM (I think atleast, as a surv hunter I used to use multi- and arcane shots all the time, hope MM hunter does so too). Naturally you have then respec for serious PvP.

To be honest any spec can do good dmg if u are really good, i mean i was 7/47/6 early BT and was doing ok, but now w/o FD+Drink or a Spriest on ur group ur pretty much screwed as MM dps wise, now for macros u should have standard 1:1 auto-steady, or 2:3, depends which one u like more, and yeah BM will always shoot faster than a MM/SV hunter, ofc a little bit weaker but its all about you, I've seen MM keeping up with BM but bcuz they're really good, hope this helps a bit.