Enhance priority question.

Ok, so I recently came back to play my Horde shaman. He is enhance/resto spec but this question is about the enhance spec. I've done some reading up and looking at different sites on info on my priority list. Also heard about shock and awe addon and am currently using it to get better acquainted with the priority. So I'm currently doing.

Searing Totem>SS>LL>LB w/5 stack of mael>UE>FS>ES.

My main issue is I'll find myself at some points in a heroic or raid or whatever sitting with all of those abilities on cooldown and no 5 stack of maelstrom. Is there an ability I can use to fill this void or am I just supposed to do white damage during that time?

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're sitting bored, you can either refresh your totems or fire off a two-four stack Lightning Bolt.
    mhm? mhm.

it's also a good time to pop shamanistic rage, if you don't need it on specific times in the encounter. Also a good time to use wolves (lol)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sahugani View Post
    PS: If you detect ANY irony or sarcasm in this post AT ALL, please report it to captain.obvious@youdontsay.com

I've also taken to using fire nova sometime too. I figure even single target it's gotta be better than nothing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sarasun View Post
    it's also a good time to pop shamanistic rage, if you don't need it on specific times in the encounter. Also a good time to use wolves (lol)
    Not only has it ceased to be Wrath of the Lich King for quite some time now, but what would be the purpose of using Shamanistic Rage at a point when you are doing nothing? Not to mention, I believe it's off the GCD, so there's no reason you can't use it whenever the hell you feel.

As for wolves, it has also been 4.3 for quite some time now. Wolves aren't shitty any more. Yes, they're tied to the set bonus, but they're still pretty freakin' good now. They aren't a "last resort" ability that you pop willy-nilly anymore. They should be popped at a time when you anticipate you will have room to accommodate all of the extra Lightning Bolts.

---------- Post added 2012-03-11 at 04:54 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by lespaul5895 View Post
    I've also taken to using fire nova sometime too. I figure even single target it's gotta be better than nothing.
    It's worthless single target. 110%, with sugar on top, worthless.
    mhm? mhm.

Quote Originally Posted by Paf View Post
    Not only has it ceased to be Wrath of the Lich King for quite some time now, but what would be the purpose of using Shamanistic Rage at a point when you are doing nothing? Not to mention, I believe it's off the GCD, so there's no reason you can't use it whenever the hell you feel.

As for wolves, it has also been 4.3 for quite some time now. Wolves aren't shitty any more. Yes, they're tied to the set bonus, but they're still pretty freakin' good now. They aren't a "last resort" ability that you pop willy-nilly anymore. They should be popped at a time when you anticipate you will have room to accommodate all of the extra Lightning Bolts.
    I pop my Shammy Rage between GCD, usually when there is general damage going out like on Ultraxion. I assume this is what they meant. It is not off the GCD though, so can't pop it when you want to.

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe that resets your swing timer, and stops your attacks, so it's probably worthless single target.

Well... It's not really that Pendulous, but rather a Nova radiates from the target. So single target all you do is spend a GCD doing 0 extra damage by using FN. You're better off hardcasting a LB or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Radux View Post
    Well... It's not really that Pendulous, but rather a Nova radiates from the target. So single target all you do is spend a GCD doing 0 extra damage by using FN. You're better off hardcasting a LB or something.
    Oh yeah. I keep forgetting about how Nova works now <---bad shaman

My main issue is I'll find myself at some points in a heroic or raid or whatever sitting with all of those abilities on cooldown and no 5 stack of maelstrom. Is there an ability I can use to fill this void or am I just supposed to do white damage during that time?
    Casting Maelstrom Weapon at 2-4 stacks is a dps increase as long as you don't trigger the GCD for another ability by doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    I believe that resets your swing timer, and stops your attacks, so it's probably worthless single target.
    Nova is instant, it doesn't do that. On really single target it just does absolutely nothing whatsoever.
    (Hardcasting Lava Blast is what usually referred to messing with swings.)

Searing Totem>SS>LL>LB w/5 stack of mael>UE>FS>ES.

My priority is different then yours.

UE>FS>Searing Totem (because it doesn't attack until I put FS on something anyway)>SS>LB x/5stack Maelstrom>LL x/5 stack searing debuff>ES when everything else is on cooldown. I also only apply Flame shock after using Unleash element.

An I to find myself twiddling my thumbs while everything is on cooldown.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabtheshaman View Post
    My priority is different then yours.

UE>FS>Searing Totem (because it doesn't attack until I put FS on something anyway)>SS>LB x/5stack Maelstrom>LL x/5 stack searing debuff>ES when everything else is on cooldown. I also only apply Flame shock after using Unleash element.

An I to find myself twiddling my thumbs while everything is on cooldown.
    That sounds like an opening rotation - you do UE, FS, totems while running to the boss.
    But if, once on the boss, you delay SS and LL for any other skill, you are doing it wrong.
    And even on the opening, as I recall, you do not wait for full 5x searing, just LL right away.

Quote Originally Posted by Weerra View Post
    That sounds like an opening rotation - you do UE, FS, totems while running to the boss.
    But if, once on the boss, you delay SS and LL for any other skill, you are doing it wrong.
    And even on the opening, as I recall, you do not wait for full 5x searing, just LL right away.
    More dps in the long run if you don't wait for 5x searing, correct.