Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst

Re: Tanking Glyphs in 3.1

Quote Originally Posted by Evereghalo
    Yea, and in all honesty if its between a paladin, and another tank for picking up waves of adds you know it will end up being the paladin. We were good at it in BC, and even better at it now with everything IC.
    We may have been good at it in TBC, but let's face it, the situations where we needed to do it always involved standing still and spamming consecrate in a specific area, so it was easy:

Mount Hyjal: stand between the gate posts and spam while the mobs head towards you.
    Felmyst: Consecrate at the first beam, then consecrate in front of the tree.
    M'uru: Consecrate at the specific point in the area when the Void tank drags it over to you so the consecrate picks up the void spawns when they appear.

Unfortunately, due to consecrate's DoT nature, if you have to run around picking up a ton of mobs that spawn in random places, like Gluth and Sartharion 3D, it's not likely that the spawns will get the full effect of the consecrate, so it's harder to be effective at maintaining maximum threat on the mobs. Heck, on sarth 3d we use a Death Knight to deal with spawn tanking because the sheer amount of AoE damage he can do is enough to kill the fire adds and the whelps while they spawn, meaning the rest of the DPS can focus on dropping the drakes. A paladin would only be able to keep the mobs on him, and that's pretty much it.

And we still can't over threat a tanking warrior's Thunderclap anyway, due to its burst nature rather than Consecrate's DoT nature.

So we're not really that much better at it, tbh.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Ivresse
    We may have been good at it in TBC, but let's face it, the situations where we needed to do it always involved standing still and spamming consecrate in a specific area, so it was easy:

Mount Hyjal: stand between the gate posts and spam while the mobs head towards you.
    Felmyst: Consecrate at the first beam, then consecrate in front of the tree.
    M'uru: Consecrate at the specific point in the area when the Void tank drags it over to you so the consecrate picks up the void spawns when they appear.

Unfortunately, due to consecrate's DoT nature, if you have to run around picking up a ton of mobs that spawn in random places, like Gluth and Sartharion 3D, it's not likely that the spawns will get the full effect of the consecrate, so it's harder to be effective at maintaining maximum threat on the mobs. Heck, on sarth 3d we use a Death Knight to deal with spawn tanking because the sheer amount of AoE damage he can do is enough to kill the fire adds and the whelps while they spawn, meaning the rest of the DPS can focus on dropping the drakes. A paladin would only be able to keep the mobs on him, and that's pretty much it.

And we still can't over threat a tanking warrior's Thunderclap anyway, due to its burst nature rather than Consecrate's DoT nature.

So we're not really that much better at it, tbh.
    If your a prot paladin, then you probably are not the best, or your others are the best.

I have never had problems with getting and grabbing adds on Sarth 3D, my only problems was taunt to not RD a mob focused on another tank, or just from sheer graphics lag. That's why you zoom out, dont take the glyph and shield, move to new target Shield, hammer, and refresh consecration.

Which is where HotR does come in handy. But then I would ask your build?

To be honest aside from Unholy Dks when D&Decay would stun, I had little problems.

I didn't say I was having problems actually doing the job myself. I'm just saying we're not the all out balls to the wall best AoE tanks we used to be, especially with all the normalisation going on with tanks in general. DKs have kind of stolen our thunder a bit there, really, and we've lessened our AoE ability to be better at single-target tanking.

The point about the DK tank on Sartharion 3D still stands though, their AoE damage is significantly higher than a paladin's AoE damage that they can literally kill the spawn mobs by themselves while the primary DPS focuses on blasting the drakes to hell, only switching to AoE after the wave of whelps appear. Paladins just don't have that ability, especially when in situations where they can't rely on Holy Wrath for that burst threat.

EDIT: Just to point out, I wasn't saying Paladins didn't have the ability to AoE tank any more. We can AoE tank fine. We're just not the absolute best anymore, especially when we have to rely on a DoT based threat generator like Consecrate. It's especially annoying when a mob runs through the consecrate and only gets 1 or 2 ticks worth of threat that isn't guaranteed to over aggro a healer, for example.

When it comes to consecration, i just wish the tick frequency was a bit higher.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment

Artefacts:
    • In ordner to better fit the current post-truth zeitgeist, we are going to rename alle occurences of "artefact" into "artebelieve".

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Astray
    When it comes to consecration, i just wish the tick frequency was a bit higher.
    Given the absurdity of a 360degree swipe, having it tick every second would be nicer.

The Glyphs ill be using are:

Divine Plea = 3% less damage... everyone should get this
    Hammer of Righteousness = better aoe tanking
    Salvation = mini sheild wall

The only other alternatives i see are:

Righteous Defence as people have said people should have enough hit or nearly enough
    Vengance = Same as above

Judgement = yes more threat but it isnt on 1 of your main threat skills and we make plenty of tps atm

Avengers Shield = nice boost for intial pull isnt really used after that... but i feel it compromises you quite abit in aoe tanking, i think this is more of a prot pvp glyph

Spiritual Atunement = lol not needed

anyways those are my thoughts not everyone will agree but too me those make sence