Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Profession for prot paladin.

Hi all. On my pally alt (only 50 lvl atm but 80 will be soon) I have before ench (220)/engi (298). When I transfer my main to another realm I drop ench and take mining coz my alt is poor without main. But Im wonder now what profession can be good for PVE prot paladin?

I know almost everyone will say JC but I have JC on my two others characters and I wanna something different. And epic gems soon will be implemented so no more that much difference betwen prismatic and non - prismatic gems.

Engi can be good for pve? Im thinking also about bs. I know everything is boe atm but if I learn bs no more /trade spamming and looking for someone who wanna 30g per item. And bs have many items for me.

What you guys think? Any tips welcome.

PS: Sorry for bad english.

Re: Profession for prot paladin.

You will want to get BS at least. Since that will allow you to make your own starter epics.

BS/JC would be the ultimate combo. BS for the gear and extra gem slots. JC for the stamina heavy trinkets and dragon eye gems. You say that JC might become less important in the future due to epic gems, but they might just make the dragon eyes better as well or introduce epic dragon eyes at some point.

Anyway if you really don't want JC, then go for inscription or leatherworking. Inscription if you don't want to rep grind sons of horrible and leather working for the imba bracer enchants and cheap pants enchants.

[edit]Engineering is mostly PVP, yes it has a nice stamina trinket but that is really only a sub-par stamina trinket in comparison with other stamina trinkets. So don't take Engi if you are serious about getting the most out of your professions in PVE. If you want to take engi for fun then go ahead and do it, but live with the frustrations of it as well.

BS, JC, and/or alch

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Mamut
    Hi all. On my pally alt (only 50 lvl atm but 80 will be soon) I have before ench (220)/engi (298). When I transfer my main to another realm I drop ench and take mining coz my alt is poor without main. But Im wonder now what profession can be good for PVE prot paladin?

I know almost everyone will say JC but I have JC on my two others characters and I wanna something different. And epic gems soon will be implemented so no more that much difference betwen prismatic and non - prismatic gems.

Engi can be good for pve? Im thinking also about bs. I know everything is boe atm but if I learn bs no more /trade spamming and looking for someone who wanna 30g per item. And bs have many items for me.

Blacksmithing allows you to get atleast 2 gem sockets that you can't otherwise have, and enchanting would allow you to get the stamina enchants on rings. It's not much, but if you are serious about maxing everything then I'd suggest those two.

Alchemy doesn't really offer anything for end-game raiding. Sure, your flasks last twice as long, but..You get the same benefit if you just buy two flasks instead of crafting one.

Engineering doesn't offer anything for end-game, it is ok while gearing up though.

Mining does offer you that 500 extra HP, but it doesn't get upgraded as the content progresses. Enchanting will have more recipes available when new content is delivered, gem sockets can always be ugraded with even better gems..but 500HP stays 500HP.

Quote Originally Posted by GayGirlie

Alchemy doesn't really offer anything for end-game raiding. Sure, your flasks last twice as long, but..You get the same benefit if you just buy two flasks instead of crafting one.
    Apart from also boosting the effect of all elixirs and flasks, and to provide a rather awsome trinket. Alchemy isnt as awfull as you just made it look.

http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=53042 Stone blood flask gets almost 50% increased effect, granting 970 hp.
    http://www.wowhead.com/?item=44323
    Say what?

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Wiseguy
    Apart from also boosting the effect of all elixirs and flasks, and to provide a rather awsome trinket. Alchemy isnt as awfull as you just made it look.
    But as said, that trinket is useful mostly for gearing up. It's not good for end-game raiding. You can get a better one even from Azjol-Nerub HC, there are some really good ones in Naxx and eventually in Ulduar will get replaced if not earlier.

I use that trinket on my DK alt and yes, mixology is quite a good thing to have. But I just think you get more benefit in the long run for enchanting + blacksmithing.

JC and Mining are best atm. Mining gives 50 stam, JC gives 51 from the JC-only gems + some awesome trinkets. If you really dont want JC, you should pick LW, which gives 50 stam compared to the 40 stam enchant (90 stam from fur lining). BS and Enchanting both give 48 stam from the enchanter only enchants(+24 stam on ring)/the extra gem sockets(+24 stam per socket).

Maybe a good idea to wait till we know what patch 3.1 wil do about epic gems, epic JC-only gems and the JC-only trinkets.

JC/BS - you can basicly skip every meta requirements. You get 3x41 stam gems, 2 more gem sockets and the best tank trinket in game which will have an epic version in future.

BS and Enchanting gives you atm both 2 x 24 stam, but when epic gems arrive it'll be 2 x 30 stam for BS and still 2 x 24 for enchanting.

Mining gives you 50 stam since 3.0.8, not just 500 HP. But it is also suboptimal since it doesnt improve with gear.

Alch is a twink prof, not a main char one.

BS/JC is best +stat combo when new gems is released.
    Mining / LW + JC gives most stam atm.

800 glove armor enchant in 3.1 from engi is quite sick and other buffs to it will balance it more to other prof's

Quote Originally Posted by SyncMaster
    JC/BS - you can basicly skip every meta requirements. You get 3x41 stam gems, 2 more gem sockets and the best tank trinket in game which will have an epic version in future.
    Where did you get that info?

Mining/JC is the best combo for prots atm.

BUT

When epic gems arrive, u'll be so much happy to have 2 extra BS sockets. 2x30 stam. Yeah maybe not a big difference than mining (50 stam) but sockets are not only for stam gems.

Btw yeah, where did u get that info?

JC/BS is the main prof choice tbh, JC is a no brainer as the gems/trinkets are so good tbh, and BS can be exchanged for other +sta prof of your choice.

I am happy with my Enchanting / Mining combo
    Enchanting for Rings and overall own enchants on gear.
    Mining for 50 stamina bonus and source of around 20% of my gold.

15+ Year Old Account

yeah if i could have any professions instantly 450 i'd go JC/BS. ofcourse I'd make sure you have a miner alt otherwise it'll be expensive.

Ok, bs/jc is great combo but what spec as bs? Armorsmith or weaponsmith? Is in wotlk any crafted item with armorsmith/weaponsmith requirements?

armour/weaponsmithing doesn't matter, it's a pity that they gave up on the idea of a meta socket for the chest from armoursmithing, SOME use of the stuff would be nice.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Mamut

JC and BS is the ultimate min/max.

1) the 2 sockets only get better with epic gems coming out.

2) The gear u can make is profitable, and if anything BoP comes out its GG.

3) The JC gems are still better slightly than future epic ones, and if epic ones come out its GG.

4) The gems to cut, and rings, necks, etc can be profitable, and if anything is BoP its GG.

5) They WILL more than likely make epic trinkets, which no matter what its stats if it has 2 slots then its GG.

6) Prospecting Ore, make a minning alt,

7) MOST IMPORTANT, you can change spec and they are still the best profession combos for a plate wearer.

15+ Year Old Account

I think BS/jc is one of the best profession combo ingame for every class/spec in the game
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricodyn
    Where did you get that info?
    most likely

My protadin is BS and miner, it worked fairly nice together in the race from 70->80, if i had been BS and JC it would have been
    a lot more hassle to get my hands on the materials without pouring my cash into the AH... don´t like to spend that much
    gold on AH, i don´t mind farming a little now and then.

Now though when the Northrend-ores are getting so cheap and they stack up fairly fast with no real
    use for me, after i´ve leveled up JC and engineering on some alts, so now my little "lowbie" Deathknight
    is running around gathering ores for my paladin to skill JC.
    Since JC is a walk in the park from 300-450 (especially the Northrend-parts), i got the materials for 300+ after
    some easy mining at low-population hours :P, and i´ll just make sure i´ve got the stuff i need before
    dumping mining for JC.
    With JC the Metagem-requirement will become a non-issue, and Mining isn´t the best pick when dual-specs
    come, if you wan´t either retri or holy that is and not a second prot-spec.

Get JC/BS if you want the best options for the future, but since the paladin is your alt and you are moving your main
    to another realm, do as you thought and drop enchanting... or maybe dump the engineering, it´s not so great, it was
    more wicked trinkets and explotions before, now it´s just for fun like portable mailboxes or a pimped bike...
    but hey, alts are indeed for fun so, everyone can´t love the same stuff! Engineering or not? I´d say enchanting/mining if you will
    atleast do heroics/10 man at 80.

Or you could use your main to farm the adamantite+northrend materials needed to skill JC before transferring server with it, and
    make a DK and farm everything up to fel iron?
    JC+Enchanting ain´t all bad since you´ve already started on enchanting, you can shard a bunch of items you create with
    JC to skill enchanting later on.

I´m sure i´ve gotten a few contradictions squeezed in there, so hurray for feeding the early morning Grammar Police!