Thread: Post Your UI

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishtara View Post
    I like the idea of roll colored names, but maybe they would be better on more simplistic party frames

The newest party frames look great. I really just don't like the square. Could you use some other indicator? Maybe a text/symbol indicator?

Also, perhaps with so many colors all over the place the power bars would look better as all the same color to tie the frames together.
    Also, they may look a bit better on a pixel font, at least in my opinion. Text indicators are a good idea, also I quite like the little symbols ElvUI uses. Hmm, you're right with the colors. I'll play around with it once I get a chance to make it in game (:

. The Artist also known as Epiphany .

Quote Originally Posted by Khadjid View Post
    I believe Raven is the common go-to addon for icon buffs since Satrina Buff Frames stopped being updated. You also have rBuffFrameStyler.

Edit: Upon checking further there's also sBuff2, PhanxBuffs, Aura Frames and probably even more.
    Not a TON of customization available, but I like Aura Frames a lot. Also is compatible with Masque.

Deleted
    I would enjoy reading your elaboration why square raid frames are more functional than rectangular raid frames.
    The simplest reason is that they're more compact. If there's less space between your top left and bottom right raid members, it's easier to notice changes to the one while looking at the other. This is (part of) why Grid became so popular when it first came out.

I've healed every raid tier in this game since Kara and I have never been able to use square raid frames.
    Well, I started healing in Zul'Gurub, but that doesn't really mean anything. Don't confuse what you're used to using with what you can use or what's good to use.

Also, caps fonts are used as title fonts all the time. Were Epiph trying to use it in the chatlog I would agree with you but I doubt you would see Epiph do that.
    Now that you mention it and I look at the previous posts, I suppose it is just me assuming that the same font would be used for things like boss emotes, and I agree that it doesn't really matter for things like names on unit frames, yeah. What I am meaning to caution against is using a font like that for text where it can be useful to be able to quickly pick out proper nouns (like ability or target names), which capitalization helps with a lot.

I'm not going to be contributing to this derail further after this post, so, to reiterate, I'm not suggesting that Bellabella's UI would be unusable because of the things I noted, or even that one wouldn't be able to perform well in endgame content with it; I'm sure if I looked up the first 20 heroic Garrosh kill videos most or all of the UIs used are (what I would call) worse. If I were designing this UI then I would make those changes, because when I design UIs meant for group play this is the direction I've chosen to primarily optimize them in (even past the point where it really matters), but, to reiterate, it's fine if other people have different priorities.

I "discovered" that the shadow with pixel fonts is monochrome aswell, and i can change its color. Maybe i found the trick - will very likely throw some code up this afternoon.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Deleted
    Any font set to monochrome will be pixelated (no anti-aliasing). Thus the shadow will look the same. You do not need to use pixel fonts. You can even combine that with an outline. You can choose between a thin and a thick outline.

Code:
    --font string
      local fs = parent:CreateFontString(nil, "OVERLAY")
      fs:SetFont(STANDARD_TEXT_FONT, 32, "THINOUTLINE, MONOCHROME")
      fs:SetShadowOffset(3, -3)
      fs:SetShadowColor(0,0,0,1)
      fs:SetTextColor(1,1,1,1)

That's useful

Anyway a thing that's bothering me for a long time now, is there any conceivable way to modify the color of the outline? Afaik it's not possible, bt i can have easily missed something.

Quote Originally Posted by Constie View Post
    The simplest reason is that they're more compact. If there's less space between your top left and bottom right raid members, it's easier to notice changes to the one while looking at the other. This is (part of) why Grid became so popular when it first came out.
    If you are healing 40 man raids I guess I could maybe see your point in over condensing the width of the raid frame to shave off a second of reaction time, but in our world of 10-25 man raids I don't think it as as much of an effect.
    Well, I started healing in Zul'Gurub, but that doesn't really mean anything. Don't confuse what you're used to using with what you can use or what's good to use.
    I assure you I am not confused about what works best for me lol. I have tried square raid frames several times and for weeks at a time to try to get use to them. To me the health bar having the same height value and width value made it more difficult to heal as quickly as I could with a rectangular health bar. What's good for one person may not work as well for another. With that said, to suggest one method is without-a-doubt more functional than another is reaching.
    Now that you mention it and I look at the previous posts, I suppose it is just me assuming that the same font would be used for things like boss emotes, and I agree that it doesn't really matter for things like names on unit frames, yeah. What I am meaning to caution against is using a font like that for text where it can be useful to be able to quickly pick out proper nouns (like ability or target names), which capitalization helps with a lot.
    Agreed.
    I'm not going to be contributing to this derail further after this post, so, to reiterate, I'm not suggesting that Bellabella's UI would be unusable because of the things I noted, or even that one wouldn't be able to perform well in endgame content with it; I'm sure if I looked up the first 20 heroic Garrosh kill videos most or all of the UIs used are (what I would call) worse. If I were designing this UI then I would make those changes, because when I design UIs meant for group play this is the direction I've chosen to primarily optimize them in (even past the point where it really matters), but, to reiterate, it's fine if other people have different priorities.
    This simple discussion about the validity of a few critique points is hardly a derailment, and if it was, I am sure Tree would let us know. But if you just don't want to defend the changes you suggested someone make based on your own preferences, then by all means, don't respond when someone asks for clarification.

<3
    Ish

- - - Updated - - -

@Zork
    Every time I have applied a monochrome outline to a non-pixel font, it completely distorts the text due to the rounded nature of the letters.
    If there is some work-around or trick to remedy that I would love to know

@Zork
    Every time I have applied a monochrome outline to a non-pixel font, it completely distorts the text due to the rounded nature of the letters.
    If there is some work-around or trick to remedy that I would love to know
    Not directed at me, but still

Monochrome outline doesn't like that bad on certain serif font - must say it all depends on the kind of font you use. I really love the aliased outline and would really like to use non pixel fonts, but the rendering in game is pretty bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    Not directed at me, but still

Monochrome outline doesn't like that bad on certain serif font - must say it all depends on the kind of font you use. I really love the aliased outline and would really like to use non pixel fonts, but the rendering in game is pretty bad.
    ZOMG I WASN'T TALKING TO YOU COLD!!!!!!!!!!!111!!!!11 :P hehe

Anyway lol, where is your new Ui cold, HUH, WHERE IS IT?

<3

Ish, Cold, I need help creating a minimal healer ui that works at high level.

I haven't a clue how to make it look good and still be practical...

Step 1: Put your raid frames in the middle of your screen.
    Step 2: Hide everything else.

Done.

hehehe

Done.

hehehe
    While this is sarcasm, this is pretty much what I did.

http://i.imgur.com/CCdcqdw.jpg

I just took Elvui and WA (both are which are very easy to work with). I use bartender since I can "tuck" the action bars away.

Well I'm using ElvUi because I'm as lazy as ever.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...513_211613.jpg

Doesn't really show much for in combat, I'll try to take a screenshot in raid tonight.

Edit: Yes, it's slowly becoming Affinitii's UI.
    Last edited by iKrow; 2013-12-10 at 10:16 PM.

Done.

hehehe
    I told him the exact same thing almost word for word about a week ago

KROW why do you hurt me so?! Make your own Ui gdi! :P

Those raid frames though.... /smh. You don't need the health % or the roll icons. And truncate the names down.

I don't know any programming shit at all because I'm lame and lazy and boring? ElvUi's Name Short function is 8 letters, that's the smallest it goes. The health % and role icons are good ideas though. I could probably make the frames a bit smaller too.

Cut those names down to 8 letters then lol, also, does it have an option to hide non mana power bars?

Also, wtf Saft where the hell have you been?! Are yall on US or EU? Im sending boa's to malganis and I will let yall invite me to your guild :P

We're on Skype all day every day. All you have to do is log on and look for me or Saft.

Cut those names down to 8 letters then lol, also, does it have an option to hide non mana power bars?

Also, wtf Saft where the hell have you been?! Are yall on US or EU? Im sending boa's to malganis and I will let yall invite me to your guild :P
    Haha I got sucked into reddit and pretty much stopped going to other forums for a while, I'll pm you my realID so you can add me

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Naer View Post
    While this is sarcasm, this is pretty much what I did.
    Is it sarcasm though?