Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast

Re: Will Negrow get banned?

Quote Originally Posted by Rhonen
    No, it's not "interesting". It's childish and inane...but this is WoW, and I've seen worse, so meh.
    I didn't say that the name itself was interesting, I said that the topic is interesting. Which apparently it seems to be since we have seen people on both sides chiming in on it. ^^
    Personal site: http://fuh-q.com
    My Kitteh's personal site: http://kitteh.in

a friend of mine named his rogue "Snuff" and got banned for 3 hours plus he had to rename his rogue completely

Quote Originally Posted by Kentukyfried
    Ah, I just realized that you are EU. But had you heard of that before? If you hadn't, that's kind of a random thing to say to someone. You must have heard of that before, in which case I don't even see why you would have said it.
    yeah i did saw it but why should i think its offensive? i just dont get it ??? its not like i am racicst or something i mean in that case you can tell its racicst to ask white people if they like burgers
    I started the Book of Faces moving
    Was involved in the RP Invasion

/Brofisting Vol'Jin

Negro(it's pronounce Neh GrOH) is spanish for black the color. It was people that couldn't speak spanish that pronouce it (Nee grow). Like in the U.S. and it stuck.

The thing is that negrow or negro is not highly offensive in itself. It's an archaic term used to describe a group of people. It is not the name of their kin as someone stated above. That's like saying Pale-face, Round Eye, and Pink Skin are the name of white people's kin.

What comes off as offensive is the context that surrounds it. Like say the ShadowFang Keep dungeon. You have Arugal( White Master/leader), Controling his Worgen(Negrow) that are slaves to him. They're all dark skinned(furred) and some even have chains on. There is no wonder the racial offenses can be seen. I mean it is a stretch, and may or may not be intentional. But it doesn't take to much to see it, if you're really looking. Honestly, I never saw it, until it was pointed out.

Dps, Hps, Tps, don't mean shit if the boss doesn't die.

Hard one really, I played with one who has been named his chars, kinda racism-ish. Names like Ricepicker and Kneegro, without getting banned, or forced to rename. But also played with one who was called Ilovecum in greek, and he was forced to rename, so though one really!

Quote Originally Posted by Merander
    yeah i did saw it but why should i think its offensive? i just dont get it ??? its not like i am racicst or something i mean in that case you can tell its racicst to ask white people if they like burgers
    Eh well, everyone eats burgers. I guess if you put it that way, everyone eats kfc and watermelon. You know, I'm only 32 years old, so I'm not even sure where the whole "Black people like chicken and watermelon" thing came from. Doesn't make any sense to me either, but I know that's what people say. That would be something interesting to google, I guess.

Harthmut- I don't get it, why did he have to change his name? Not sure why that is offensive.

Grayem- Exactly. It's kind of like how we don't call the people who were originally in the USA "Indians" anymore. We call them "Native American". Same basic thing. I didn't ever think that Indian was offensive, nor do I know why they were called that in the first place. They obviously didn't look like the Indian people in India. Even though I have some Native American in my family tree, I don't find it offense to say "Indian". That was just what they were called at one time. I don't think that it was ever intended as a slur.

But yeah, a lot of people seem to be saying that Negro is not a racial term, while the other N word is, from what I am gathering.

Yes you did miss my point. I know exactly what the USA meaning of negro, but negro like I said was a name/label given to us by the English when the found us and wanted to use us as slaves, I am not justifying what they did either just saying, but that was our name. For a while as slaves they called us negro, but the changed it to nigger which had a close resemblance to the word negro and the meaning of it was how the saw us, stupid and ignorant. I have been to many countries of all ethnic background and and 90% of the called me negro of not that a word with negro in it because the word negro itself originates from Latin meaning black and when the English found us that's what they saw dark skinned people so please even if you are an American negro is not racist. Don't try to say it is accept that you have the skin colour black and that's all.

If you name your toon Negrow and you get flagged for a nick change log in and report everyone on your server with "dark" "black" "white" in their names

Some things i can understand people getting offended by but the nick isnt Negro and if the toon wasnt a black skin toned human people have nothing to sook about.

If you want to use this nick make the toon with white skin and the full nick Negrow if you get flagged for a nick change log in and speak with a gm explain the Worgen- Negrow thing tell them your toon is clearly white so its not being racist and you never know they may just unflag it for nick change

Quote Originally Posted by areyouserious
    Yes you did miss my point. I know exactly what the USA meaning of negro, but negro like I said was a name/label given to us by the English when the found us and wanted to use us as slaves, I am not justifying what they did either just saying, but that was our name. For a while as slaves they called us negro, but the changed it to nigger which had a close resemblance to the word negro and the meaning of it was how the saw us, stupid and ignorant. I have been to many countries of all ethnic background and and 90% of the called me negro of not that a word with negro in it because the word negro itself originates from Latin meaning black and when the English found us that's what they saw dark skinned people so please even if you are an American negro is not racist. Don't try to say it is accept that you have the skin colour black and that's all.
    actually, to be honest, The Dutch, my own people, started using africanes as slaves and sold them to other nations. :P
    about the rest you're 100% correct.
    Bios: http://www.mmo-champion.com/character-bios/cailean/

[00:20] <+Marzenia> made awesomechicken last week
    [00:20] <+Marzenia> with zingiber
    [00:20] == Gungbroh has changed nick to Gungcleans
    [00:20] <Synthaxx> Yeah, same with me. Can't stand red meat.
    [00:20] <Mikesmit> who doesn't like chicken? I like breasts, and you, marzenia?
    [00:20] <Synthaxx> haha
    [00:20] <+Marzenia> well i can eat red meat, i am not crazy about it tho
    [00:21] <Mikesmit> shh Synthaxx, she might fall for it :P
    [00:21] <+Marzenia> I love breasts!

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Harthmut
    a friend of mine named his rogue "Snuff" and got banned for 3 hours plus he had to rename his rogue completely
    He broke terms of agreement. If you read them (I know they're long but meh) Naming: No drugs or alcohol. Being that snuff gives you a mind altering state it is considered a drug. Just legally distributed.

The name will get used. I know people who spell other toons backwards Egam, Tseit, Diurd, Eugor you get the idea. Worgen will get spelled backwards. But like it was mentioned Negro is the spanish word for black. The term became offensive because it was used offensively as Neegro towards African slaves and African-Americans.

Is it childish. Well to some that might be childish to others who have child like minds where colors of skin, race, religion, and hate do not exist then no. They will merely see Worgen backwards.

Stop saying that act is childish. If you have ever stopped to think who came up with racism it was adults. NOT children.

Children will play with others not even thinking. It is their parents and other adults and older kids who learned it from adults that will pick fun and be mean.

Is it mean? if you think that he is automatically being racist then you are being mean to him. Don't go pointing fingers at "white" people (whatever that means last time I checked I was peach colored.) like they are the only people with racism. LOL. Please everyone has the ability and most show it.

While, no, it's not childish it is however ignorant.

ig⋅no⋅rant - /ˈɪgnərənt/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [ig-ner-uhnt] –adjective
    1. lacking in knowledge or training; unlearned: an ignorant man.
    2. lacking knowledge or information as to a particular subject or fact: ignorant of quantum physics.
    3. uninformed; unaware.
    4. due to or showing lack of knowledge or training: an ignorant statement.

incase you were confused what that meant too.

Alright, thank you for clearing that up for me. I didn't mean to offend you at all with implying that you did not know the history of it in the USA. All kinds of people here, so you could have been 12 years old and not known for all I know.

But yes, the other N word you mentioned is offensive, but it's strange how somehow it has got twisted from meaning basically "An uneducated person" into being a bad term for black people. But yes, like I said in my previous post, I guess that Negro and Indian (meaning Native American) is about the same thing, neither thing meant as a bad thing, just what the people were called when the other people found them, just as you said. I totally understand what you are saying. Seems like a lot of other people don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaefaerie
    Is it childish. Well to some that might be childish to others who have child like minds where colors of skin, race, religion, and hate do not exist then no. They will merely see Worgen backwards.

Stop saying that act is childish. If you have ever stopped to think who came up with racism it was adults. NOT children.

Children will play with others not even thinking. It is their parents and other adults and older kids who learned it from adults that will pick fun and be mean.

Is it mean? if you think that he is automatically being racist then you are being mean to him. Don't go pointing fingers at "white" people (whatever that means last time I checked I was peach colored.) like they are the only people with racism. LOL. Please everyone has the ability and most show it.

While, no, it's not childish it is however ignorant.

ig⋅no⋅rant - /ˈɪgnərənt/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [ig-ner-uhnt] –adjective
    1. lacking in knowledge or training; unlearned: an ignorant man.
    2. lacking knowledge or information as to a particular subject or fact: ignorant of quantum physics.
    3. uninformed; unaware.
    4. due to or showing lack of knowledge or training: an ignorant statement.

incase you were confused what that meant too.
    Once again, I expect nothing less than topics and "ideas" like this from the WoW community.
    I quit the game, and this happens:
    "You can now mount while under the skeleton effect of the Noggenfogger Elixir!"
    Are you effing kidding me?!?!
    Remember 3.0.......

Quote Originally Posted by Mikesmit
    actually, to be honest, The Dutch, my own people, started using africanes as slaves and sold them to other nations. :P
    about the rest you're 100% correct.
    Actually, didn't it originally go that other white people or people of another race had people of their own race as slaves? I'm a little bit foggy on history since it's been a while, but I seem to remember something like that. Then they stumbled upon the Africans who were in great physical shape and it went from there?

Shaefaerie- Ah, snuff like the tobacco, gotcha. Snuff also means to kill someone or put something out, like a cigarette. Sounds like someone was being a little over sensitive when they made him change his name.

No you did not offend me just other people did when people who probably don't even have black skin to be complaining and complaining about something they have no clue of the full understanding of and I think you now know if im not a kid or not. Truth be told I am probly older than everyone who is posting on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhonen
    Once again, I expect nothing less than topics and "ideas" like this from the WoW community.
    Ah come on, while the topic may be a little silly that we even have to worry about something like this, some people have had some interesting points. There hasn't been anyone that has resorted to the classic WoW "Eff you, diaf" and "No u" type of replies!

No you did not offend me just other people did when people who probably don't even have black skin to be complaining and complaining about something they have no clue of the full understanding of and I think you now know if im not a kid or not. Truth be told I am probly older than everyone who is posting on this forum.
    Ok good. So are you pretty much saying that white people (or non black people in general) shouldn't be getting their panties in a bunch over this? Someone else brought up that point too, about how it's probably just a bunch of white people that are freaking out over this. And yes, I now know that you are not a kid.

Ahhh, thread count mill is working away overtime on this topic.

Also, If I name my Worgen 'PorchMonkey,' will I be banned and have to rename it? I mean come on, I'm taking it back!?!

Please do not beat me with a hammer, its a joke. :P
    Thelamon Thelavon Thelason Thelazon
    I think you get the point of my names now.

I'm a 32-year-old black male from a VERY racially divided area in the U.S. The term "negro" is FAR less offensive to me than the other N word.

What I don't understand is why the OP would even ask the question when he already KNOWS that controversy will follow (hense asking if he'll get banned for it). I can't tell you how many times people in trade chat on my realm pointed out that Worgen spelled backward is Negrow. Really? You don't say... -_- And thusly, the racial jokes that follow are even more stupid.

But like I said, I expect nothing less from this community.

EDIT: See the post above for a case and point example of the asininity that ensues...
    I quit the game, and this happens:
    "You can now mount while under the skeleton effect of the Noggenfogger Elixir!"
    Are you effing kidding me?!?!
    Remember 3.0.......

Exactly, a white person probably started all of this thinking it was funny. Which it is not but its not bad either or hes pointing out the fact that blizzard is racist, which they are not. And most likely the several of the people who responded saying they were offended were most likely white trying to stick up for another race and saying racism is unacceptable, so all in all this post was a completely retarded.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascendant
    No shit Einstein
    I lol'ed. Hard.
    Warriors' Armory profile: http://armory.wow-europe.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Agamaggan&cn=Vikon
    Mages' Armory profile: http://armory.wow-europe.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Agamaggan&cn=Goatluver