Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast

Re: Will Negrow get banned?

The funny thing at least where I live is that the people who aren't affected by racism take it as one of the highest offence you can do. And those people actually make it that those words stay as taboo and because its taboo people keep using it in a wrong way.

I don't think racism in behaviour should be ever tolerated but a silly word standing on its own that CAN be used in a different context as a offensive word? That is just silly. There are loads of words out there that can be like that. Are you going to get banned on the Chinese realms if you call yourself Yellow?

Quote Originally Posted by Rhonen
    I'm a 32-year-old black male from a VERY racially divided area in the U.S. The term "negro" is FAR less offensive to me than the other N word.

What I don't understand is why the OP would even ask the question when he already KNOWS that controversy will follow (hense asking if he'll get banned for it). I can't tell you how many times people in trade chat on my realm pointed out that Worgen spelled backward is Negrow. Really? You don't say... -_- And thusly, the racial jokes that follow are even more stupid.

But like I said, I expect nothing less from this community.

EDIT: See the post above for a case and point example of the asininity that ensues...
    I'm glad to hear your point of view on it. I'm actually a 32 year old white female from Ohio, actually. I am a white person, but I didn't start the topic thinking that it would be funny. It was a serious topic. I haven't said a single "lol" or "lulzlzlz" in any of my posts about this. Like I said, when I take my meds, I get chatty as shit. (Haven't been on them long, maybe that side effect will die down) It was just something that I thought of with all of the "What will you name your worgen" and "What will you name your goblin" topics going on. And like I said, I hadn't even thought of what worgen was spelled backwards until I saw the picture that I posted a few pages back. Never even crossed my mind, seriously.

I'm sorry that the topic aggravated you, sorry to you, other black people, and the white people. I thought that it would be a topic that would make people think, but I forgot how exactly how heated it gets in here. If I wouldn't have done it, probably someone else would have, most likely in a more juvenile type of way. Racially divided area hmm? Part of the south?
    Personal site: http://fuh-q.com
    My Kitteh's personal site: http://kitteh.in

Worgen is spelled Negrow backwards.

They are led by a white man, who does stuff only if he has to.

Worgens in SFK are mostly brown or dark in color.

They drop Snapvine Watermelons and some chicken I can't remember.

TALK ABOUT STEREOTYPES.

Kentukyfried what posted had nothing wrong you were observant and notice something doesn't matter your motives and starting the post if it were to be funny, racist or trying to point something out. I am not mad at you just I am aggravated with people who shouldn't be complaining about racism when they have no rights or the full understanding of the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by velasius
    Black or not, it's still a racist word. And don't give me any shite replies trying to argue that it's not.
    This really annoyed me.

If i was having a conversation with someone about the origin of the word 'nigger' me saying that word would not make me racist. Racism is subject to the context in which you speak. For instance, if i called someone black, that would not be racist, just as if they called me white, because it is a defining word used in the context to create a persona, or some for of recognition. Though if i said something purely because of the fact that the person in question was black, that would be racist. This is merely a play on words, naming you character Negrow, because its a worgen and thats Worgen spelt backwards does not make you racist in any way.

Perhaps, you are the racist person if you are so quick to define something based on its how it is represented to an entire culture/enthnicity.

Quote Originally Posted by Kentukyfried
    I'm glad to hear your point of view on it. I'm actually a 32 year old white female from Ohio, actually. I am a white person, but I didn't start the topic thinking that it would be funny. It was a serious topic. I haven't said a single "lol" or "lulzlzlz" in any of my posts about this. Like I said, when I take my meds, I get chatty as shit. (Haven't been on them long, maybe that side effect will die down) It was just something that I thought of with all of the "What will you name your worgen" and "What will you name your goblin" topics going on. And like I said, I hadn't even thought of what worgen was spelled backwards until I saw the picture that I posted a few pages back. Never even crossed my mind, seriously.

I'm sorry that the topic aggravated you, sorry to you, other black people, and the white people. I thought that it would be a topic that would make people think, but I forgot how exactly how heated it gets in here. If I wouldn't have done it, probably someone else would have, most likely in a more juvenile type of way. Racially divided area hmm? Part of the south?
    North actually...Detroit area. It's even more divided than many southern areas.

But yeah, I see where you're coming from. And as you mentioned earlier, I didn't think the topic was childish, just the name. Trade chat on my realm is the bane of my existence whenever anyone brings up Worgen.

No need for apologies.
    I quit the game, and this happens:
    "You can now mount while under the skeleton effect of the Noggenfogger Elixir!"
    Are you effing kidding me?!?!
    Remember 3.0.......

Quote Originally Posted by Breia
    read it backwards..
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH... (it's been a slow morning for me).

My guess is that despite the large number of Blizzard employees who would find it as clever as I have, there are enough people who WOULD be offended by it, that you'd be reported on a daily basis. They'd force a name change, but I doubt anything else.

If my rogue (Goldstein) can get reported for having a racially offensive name, then I'm guessing you can't get away with Negrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by nzall
    that is a moment where even /headdesk does not quite cut it. i promptly proceeded to /bodywall.

Quote Originally Posted by areyouserious
    Kentukyfried what posted had nothing wrong you were observant and notice something doesn't matter your motives and starting the post if it were to be funny, racist or trying to point something out. I am not mad at you just I am aggravated with people who shouldn't be complaining about racism when they have no rights or the full understanding of the matter.
    Thank you, I understand.

frosty112- Interesting point you bring up. Sort of like if I have a conversation with someone about Satan and his origins, it doesn't mean that I am a Satanist, basically.

Rhonen- Hmm, only been to Detroit once. Got a car with a friend of mine then we went to Canada. The topic name was the shortest and most direct thing that I could think of, I try to do that in the rare event that I make topics, which is something that I have probably only done like three times total, even with all of the post count that I have. But now that I look at the topic name and think about it, I think I see where you are coming from. You probably thought that it meant something like a play on words for "Will negros get banned"? I really didn't think about that until I just read what you said about the topic name. I guess that I am just a naive white girl!

Quote Originally Posted by Keoni
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH... (it's been a slow morning for me).

My guess is that despite the large number of Blizzard employees who would find it as clever as I have, there are enough people who WOULD be offended by it, that you'd be reported on a daily basis. They'd force a name change, but I doubt anything else.

If my rogue (Goldstein) can get reported for having a racially offensive name, then I'm guessing you can't get away with Negrow.
    How could that be reported for being racially offensive? I understand that people say that would typically be a jewish type name, but unless the GM actually looked at your account name, how would they or anyone else know that isn't your last name? I knew someone that had that as their last name. But probably if you look into it, having your real name or part of your real name in your char name is against the TOS as well, I guess.

And to all of you Americans that still stay negro is racism just that the whole world have names for other races and for black people its negro maybe just maybe its just so unacceptable in your country and you were raised to not think otherwise but instead of being so simple minded just think are you going to hate almost every single European terrorist in your country just cause what they were told to call you. If you go to another county and you were called that would you consider them racist. If you truly do believe such things you are a very arrogant person.

Quote Originally Posted by frosty112
    This really annoyed me.

If i was having a conversation with someone about the origin of the word 'nigger' me saying that word would not make me racist. Racism is subject to the context in which you speak. For instance, if i called someone black, that would not be racist, just as if they called me white, because it is a defining word used in the context to create a persona, or some for of recognition. Though if i said something purely because of the fact that the person in question was black, that would be racist. This is merely a play on words, naming you character Negrow, because its a worgen and thats Worgen spelt backwards does not make you racist in any way.

Perhaps, you are the racist person if you are so quick to define something based on its how it is represented to an entire culture/enthnicity.
    Actually the word by technical definition means "ignorant". It was used to refer to slaves because most of them weren't taught to read or write. Through hundreds of years of douchbaggery on the part of rich white people the social definition has changed to the point that most people don't even know what the word REALLY means. (this response isn't meant to flame anyone on this thread, just stating a fact)

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjarobot44
    Actually the word by technical definition means "ignorant". It was used to refer to slaves because most of them weren't taught to read or write. Through hundreds of years of douchbaggery on the part of rich white people the social definition has changed to the point that most people don't even know what the word REALLY means. (this response isn't meant to flame anyone on this thread, just stating a fact)
    That's true, it's like some popculture reference slang that has been passed down through the years. Everyone has just been told that it's bad and that's about it. Same thing with the whole Indian/Native American thing that I mentioned. At some point it started being "Politically Incorrect" to call them Indians, so someone made another name.

Same thing with midgets. I think they were called that and dwarfs, then somehow it eventually got turned into "little people" or whatever in the world they are being called now. It's pretty silly. Probably most of the "little people" out there wouldn't mind being called midgets, but I don't know. I don't know any "little people" personally.

Rhonen- Hmm, only been to Detroit once. Got a car with a friend of mine then we went to Canada. The topic name was the shortest and most direct thing that I could think of, I try to do that in the rare event that I make topics, which is something that I have probably only done like three times total, even with all of the post count that I have. But now that I look at the topic name and think about it, I think I see where you are coming from. You probably thought that it meant something like a play on words for "Will negros get banned"? I really didn't think about that until I just read what you said about the topic name. I guess that I am just a naive white girl!
    Haha, it's not your topic name...just the name Negrow. Sure, some people will try to use it because it's simply Worgen backwards. But, others will use it without the best intentions...

And as I said earlier, I've seen worse than that.
    I quit the game, and this happens:
    "You can now mount while under the skeleton effect of the Noggenfogger Elixir!"
    Are you effing kidding me?!?!
    Remember 3.0.......

Quote Originally Posted by Rhonen
    Haha, it's not your topic name...just the name Negrow. Sure, some people will try to use it because it's simply Worgen backwards. But, others will use it without the best intentions...

And as I said earlier, I've seen worse than that.
    That was pretty much the point that I was trying to bring up. Even though some people could mean it as an innocent thing, most likely younger children or people that don't mean harm- there will be people out there that do it for a different reason. Basically the question was will it just automatically be taken as a bad thing and not allowed.

Too me, negro is the counterpart too caucasian (spelling?) and not racist at all, its a definition, not an insult

and before any yankees yell "no gtfo thats African-American" there ARE black people that are not American

Deleted

It's just like naming your Character, 'Caucasian'
    Who will care? Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by Heljak
    "Negrow" or "Negro" has no used meaning other than as a racist term.
    Sorry to be a smartass, but its a common word in the Spanish language that just means the color black.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coronius
    "And on the seventh day, God created the shotgun in order to protect us from homosexuals and communists"

Well.. Negro = Black, as has been said a thousand times before in this thread. So that is the basic meaning of the word but I'm sure the slavemasters thought of it as a synonym (sp?) with stupid etc, because they thought of them as animals, or less.
    ... Same thing with midgets. I think they were called that and dwarfs, then somehow it eventually got turned into "little people" or whatever in the world they are being called now. It's pretty silly. Probably most of the "little people" out there wouldn't mind being called midgets, but I don't know. I don't know any "little people" personally.
    Vertically Challenged? Things just get fucking exaggerated when everyone is trying to be politically correct. When I talk to my friends and I say nigger, dwarf, cripple, retard or whatever (because its easy and quick to say, plus they instantly know what I mean), and I also laugh at them because its so "forbidden" that I just can't resist. If there was no social weirdness about it, I would not find it funny.

I do not run around screaming the words in town though, or mention them to people I don't know since they might get offended.

PS. Before namecalling and accusations of being racist: I really have no issues with other people or cultures. One of my oldest friends is black. I love hiphop and tribal music and such. What I hate is old people, children and idiots (and they come in all colors).
    Signature not acceptable (e.g. too large), read http://www.mmo-champion.com/general-discussions-22/important-signatures/ - Regards, Olison

Quote Originally Posted by Balkal
    Sorry to be a smartass, but its a common word in the Spanish language that just means the color black.

Deleted

not banned. warned/namechange