Thread: DW tanking

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

DW tanking

The new ptr build has a one handed version of rune of the stoneskin gargoyle.

Death Knight

* Rune of the Stoneskin Gargoyle: There is now a 1-handed version of this rune in addition to the current 2-handed rune.

after this and the addition of rune strike to ToT, its safe to say blizz wants dw tanks. To all the haters i say SUCK IT!

that is all

Re: DW tanking

didnt need a forum to state that ...... good job DW frost tanking woot woot party owait no its just a sword.....
    This user has been banned.

LAST I CHECKED SG increases HP and Def, (havent used in a while) so the problem that we face trying to DW tank is getting expertise capped (53-54) so we cant get parried and get parry gibbed. so adding in this Runeforge is a point to saying they want them. im hoping that the stats for the 1h one are to increase expertise

Quote Originally Posted by Kittenpower
    LAST I CHECKED SG increases HP and Def, (havent used in a while) so the problem that we face trying to DW tank is getting expertise capped (53-54) so we cant get parried and get parry gibbed. so adding in this Runeforge is a point to saying they want them. im hoping that the stats for the 1h one are to increase expertise
    Anyone who uses the phrase "parry gibbed" to describe something that might happen in current content should be castrated.

There are only about 40 threads talking about the probability of seeing enough of a damage increase to get parry-hasted to death.

Throw in the fact that most hard-hitting bosses have had the parry-haste mechanic removed and it's hardly the main issue.

HIT IS THE ISSUE. HIT HIT HIT HIT HIT HIT HIT HIT. Not parry-haste.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkduck
    Oh god, i sure hope I don't reincarnate into a bad DPS because of my bad karma. It would suck to have to cry every patch because I'm afraid to lose my raid spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Stieger23
    Anyone who uses the phrase "parry gibbed" to describe something that might happen in current content should be castrated.

There are only about 40 threads talking about the probability of seeing enough of a damage increase to get parry-hasted to death.

Throw in the fact that most hard-hitting bosses have had the parry-haste mechanic removed and it's hardly the main issue.

You're half correct, parry haste is a non-issue, but hit is a non-issue. To cap strikes, you need 3% less than 2h, which means you in theory need less hit, although more hit is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by fabian
    You're half correct, parry haste is a non-issue, but hit is a non-issue. To cap strikes, you need 3% less than 2h, which means you in theory need less hit, although more hit is fine.
    Have you every DW anything, my god you need a lot of hit to make your offhand not miss!

but DW DKs need 5% hit from gear. Go read EJ

Quote Originally Posted by Mord
    Have you every DW anything, my god you need a lot of hit to make your offhand not miss!
    Strikes only need 8% to hit. You get 3% from talents. That is 5% hit that you need to make you strikes never miss. He never said anything about offhand. That is why he said more hit is fine. Sheesh.

Quote Originally Posted by Mord
    so much fail...

First off, the DW hit penalty only affect White hits.
    Second, the hit penalty affects the chance to hit with ALL white attacks, which means the only difference between OH and MH attacks are the damage they deal.
    Third, DW tanking gets enough threat from spells and abilities that white attacks accounts for a very little amount of their threat.

Just the thread I need.

So with the new changes, DW would be viable?

At the moment I am tanking with a 2H. I have strong considered going DW because I have Courage from UP and I have the H ToC sword as well.

But so far, a lot of the other DKs that I know have advised against it claiming that the hit% would serve as a serious problem + the damage may be gimped a little resulting in poor 1on1 tanking. AoE shouldnt be a problem with Howling Blast, DND and Blood Boil.

On the front page. It says DK's have a new spell. EXACTLY like SSG, but for a 1 hander. Still including 25 straight defense.. This would mean a DW Tank would only need to get 90 defense from gear to be def capped.. OP much?

Quote Originally Posted by Stieger23

im pretty sure its still in alot of the boss encounters
    there are still a few bosses that hit hard enough that there is no parry haste. but there are still enough encounters here that do do it.

and yeh hit would be fabulous

Quote Originally Posted by Zraal *Yes, ima DK*
    On the front page. It says DK's have a new spell. EXACTLY like SSG, but for a 1 hander. Still including 25 straight defense.. This would mean a DW Tank would only need to get 90 defense from gear to be def capped.. OP much?
    if this is true you could swap out some tank gear / trinkets for that much needed dps gear with hit rating on it. On my dk in my tank set that hasnt been adapted for dw, using peacekeeper blade and red sword of courage (weps are currently ungemmed/runed) and not even in a tanking spec i have 535 def, 6.16% hit 10% crit, and 27 exp and 36.33% avoidance

With NocS i have 9% hit, with the new one handed runes i would have alot of room to swap in gear or trinkets to have plenty of threat while not sacrificing threat or avoidance

Has anyone checked to see if you could enchant both 1 handers with this and have it stack?

If so, I'm going DW next patch...

Don't be too happy, its just PTR and is going to be nerfed 4 sure... Even if it would only be enchantable on one weapon, it would be better as 2h version as of the secondary extra enchant.

Really believe they will grant us FREE 50def/4%sta??

Neva. Let's wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by tialol
    Don't be too happy, its just PTR and is going to be nerfed 4 sure... Even if it would only be enchantable on one weapon, it would be better as 2h version as of the secondary extra enchant.

Really believe they will grant us FREE 50def/4%sta??

Neva. Let's wait and see.
    ^I believe this also, it's more likely to be:
    A) 12-13 def + 1% stam (thus 24-26 def + 2% stam on DW)
    B) Unique (can't equip 2 weapons with the enchant)
    "Sharing is caring".. But I don't care!

hope it stacks

think blood spec and 2hander will probaly still give more hp

Quote Originally Posted by hereticangel
    hope it stacks

think blood spec and 2hander will probaly still give more hp
    Blood spec gives 3% stamina, so it would give more by 1%. The weapons themselves, though, are wait and sees.

The extra 25 defense on no diminishing returns is huge.

I think we're going to see this end up unique. I hope anyway. I hate frost tanking with a passion, but dual of this rune os too big to pass up. One instance, though, blood is more than enough to make up for the secondary enchant.

1) parry haste are gone on "gibbable" bosses
    2) expertise "cap" for DW DKs is 30, at that point they get parried as much as a warrior
    3) 8% hit is all that is needed to cap obliterate and runestrike, your 2 biggest threat builders (white hits are menial)
    4) with the enchant blood will still have more health, but frost will have more avoidance and similiar mitigation
    5) DW tanking is amazingly viable already without the enchant in end game gear... with BiS they have similiar threat, more avoidance, and similiar mitigation than blood (keep in mind mitigation/survival is armor and stamina... and really is only in comparing major hits....blood has more survival if you are counting non special mob hits)

That stated, its not for everyone... but i reccomend trying it IF, and ONLY IF you have the proper gear to support it... no one wants you back in here 4 days later QQ in DW tanking sucks because you didnt take the time to gear properly for it. And I will flame you to no end if you do.

i hope they will grant us 50DEF and 4% Stamina then my aggro problems would been gone forever

even though i think its fair because you got to have alot of hit and expertise for dw and when you equip some dd gear you cane have that and fucking good aggro =)