Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account

Re: Top 15 Bosses that stayed unkilled the longest

Quote Originally Posted by Darrkh
    Not counting C'thun in this list sounds, really, really stupid to my opinion
    I agree. no one beat him until there was a nerf. well except for someone is going to say they did it before the nerf, but they are liars
    Strap on your shields and raise your banners, Hear the call of raging battle
    Beneath a hail of burning arrows
    Push ever forward, never surrender
    Siege weapons tolling out like thunder, Ripping the city walls asunder
    Columns of flame reach ever skyward
    Horizons filled with burning pyres

Quote Originally Posted by shippior
    So only thing Blizzard needs to do to get Arthas #1 is give him a raidwide AoE that does 100k dmg and occurs every 30 seconds and don't remove that until the 11th boss has been downed at least 71 days ago
    yes, this is exactly what is going to happen.
    ...to once and for all stop the wicked men from saying wotlk is easy.

*shakes fist at the sky and curses them all to death!!*
    the ensidia ban was clever marketing

oh noes, someone is using engineering

Quote Originally Posted by seam
    Interesting to know.

And wierd...when my guild attack solarion we one shot her o.O

Though it was in 2.2, so she may had been nerfed.
    solarian was tuned so many times most people probably dont even remember the original version. At the very start, her arcane missiles channeled for 4500 dmg/s (its 3000 dmg/sec now). Her aoe moonfire (blinding light) also decreased arcane resistance by 30 or 50 or something and stacked. Her Wrath of the Astromancer was a debuff that applied a 50% extra arcane dmg taken buff (that would stack if you received the debuff again), and also applied 8 second dot that did ~1000 arcane dmg every 2 seconds, and after it expired (or the person died), that debuff would jump to the next closest person.

Basically all that coupled together made that fight very difficult because her arcane missiled targetted on anyone with the wrath of the astromancer debuff would do 50% more dmg (or 100% more if you have a double stack), and after a decent period of time, a large portion of your raid will have that debuff because it keeps bouncing around and she casts more on other targets, so after like 2 teleports, you'll have 4 wraths boucning around in your raid making everyone take more arcane dmg while leaving a nasty arcane dot on them (all the while arcane resist wouldnt help because of the stacking negative arcane resist debuff).

It wasnt until I believe Death Wish discovered that Solarian will only cast arcane missiles at targets in a cone in front of her that it was killed. And since then that fight has gone through probably 4 or 5 revisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Epar
    Shocked to see Solarian so high on the list.
    If C'thun isn't on the list, High Astromancer Solarian shouldn't be there as well - both cases are basically the same (unkillable until nerfed).

Quote Originally Posted by kevin123
    It wasnt until I believe Death Wish discovered that Solarian will only cast arcane missiles at targets in a cone in front of her that it was killed. And since then that fight has gone through probably 4 or 5 revisions.
    First of all, you seem to forget about the stealthnerf Solarian received just before the Death Wish kill. Blizzard significantly lowered her health pool - as soon as top guilds like Death Wish and Nihilum discovered that fact, they killed her right away.

your X days from Y is very inconsistent in what you use for Y

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by suleria
    your X days from Y is very inconsistent in what you use for Y
    This.

Your Y date needs to be more consistent. It should be the day the boss was available. Gates are a bit different, those are artificial. Y would then be the day that gate was opened, hence the boss is now available. I consider attunements to be different from gates, however. Attunements are controlled by the players and the quickness with which they get completed, gates are completely controlled by designers.

For instance, why is Yogg +0 being counted from the day Yogg+1 was downed, as opposed to the day Ulduar was opened? Yogg +0 was available immediately, count from that day. Also, I would include Algalon in this. He was available immediately too, provided you did what you had to get to him. If 1hr a week is the rule, then so be it. Thats part of the difficulty, no reason to hold it against that kill, so to speak. Same goes for Cthun. Just because he was "unkillable" doesn't mean people still didnt
    "practice" on him.

The list is nice, flawed, but nice.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rytoz/advanced

If there's one thing I'm not, it's in control.

He was available immediately too, provided you did what you had to get to him.
    Do you really wanna bring up the Hodir drama again and obviously the flowerpower incident etc?
    Really?

Because that's what would happen if you take instance/boss release day as a start point.
    "Yeah but for boss x incident/excuse z happened, that's not in your list!"

Quote Originally Posted by Nigeldruid
    Well many guilds started working on SSC before they killed Magtheridon aswell..
    not possible u needed to kill maggy to get attuned in trial of the naaru quests. this was removed but any decent guild was already attuned anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Mascotte
    Do you really wanna bring up the Hodir drama again and obviously the flowerpower incident etc?
    Really?

Because that's what would happen if you take instance/boss release day as a start point.
    "Yeah but for boss x incident/excuse z happened, that's not in your list!"
    Well, that's the thing about Top "XX" lists, everybody will always throw in an excuse as to why someone else should be in it or try to degrade someone who is already in it. That's the funnest part about these forums, watching people go back and forth, civil of course.

Im just curious why was Mu'ru not on the list?
    /thread

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer
    not possible u needed to kill maggy to get attuned in trial of the naaru quests. this was removed but any decent guild was already attuned anyway.
    heroic slave pens + nightbane( kara) + gruul = ssc

has nothing to do with the quest chains for eye/tk,which was shadowmoon valley +heroic shattered/steamvault/arcatraz/shadow labs + magtheirdon

im thinking nightbane took a lil while to die, alot considered him the last boss, he was also revised several times

and reliquary would be measured from supremus dying? unless there was a stricter boss order in early bt

good list, i like to get to see how hard content is comparatively.

I also actually enjoy the arguments of who should be up there, gives me something to do =)
    Waiting on Cata
    SCII: Naret
    WoW: Naret, Destromath US

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer
    That's an astounding amount of stupid right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Separate
    Im just curious why was Mu'ru not on the list?
    /thread
    Well, if you actually read more than the fifteen lines, you'd know he's the runner up. From the day he was unlocked until the day he was killed there was only 4 days. Mind you, extremely few guilds managed to kill him before he was nerfed (4, I think).

didn't vael take a long time?

Quote Originally Posted by MushroomBomb
    Mind you, extremely few guilds managed to kill him before he was nerfed (4, I think).
    Actually, it was about a dozen kills before the first nerf, not four.

Quote Originally Posted by Devastatíon-US-Scilla
    Doesn't really show the difficulty of the encounter and yeah, the dates are a bit sketchy for the "Y". If 4 guilds kill a boss 6 days after the release of the encounter but 10000 guilds kill a boss 7 days after the release of an encounter does that mean that boss A is easier than boss B? :P
    Personally I think the dates for very well thought out and I don't think the "Y" dates are sketchy at all. In every case the OP picked the point at which people could begin attempts on a boss. For example, you couldn't attempt Vashj until you had killed all the other SSC bosses. Would you have considered Vashj more difficult if Hydross was insanely hard? For the hardcore guilds, the time from first able to kill to first kill is a great measure of encounter difficulty. The only reason this wouldn't show encounter difficulty would be if

a) There was some factor which prevent you from using this time for attempts (Algalon.)
    b) The boss was nerfed significantly prior to the first kill. (C'thun is a good example).

Also I disagree with Devastation's example, simply because this doesn't happen. On all the hard fights one guild wins. Then a few guilds get him in the next week (often using the first guilds hints) but only a few. You might be able to argue that some of these fights became easy once someone figured out a trick and thus you would see it take a long time for the first kill, but be very easy for everyone after that. However, I would argue that any fight that is so hard it takes weeks for anyone to figure out a trick is a very hard fight. And thus deserves to be on this list.

I also think that Alone in the Darkness should be measured from the first General Vezax, since you began learning the Alone in the Darkness fight when you started 4 keepers Yogg. I think this very interestingly implies that Alone in the Darkness is probably the hardest (possible) fight in Wow history. For the record this doesn't mean that WotLK is harder or easier than BC/Vanilla. You will notice that while Alone in the Darkness is the winner (by a large margin), it is the only WotLK fight on the list. I do have to ask, was there really someone who killed hardmode XT or Mimiron 4 days after Ulduar was released?

Since the OP doesn't want to bother with Pre-Naxx, I will:

• Ragnaros
    • -- 169 days from release of MC (7 November 2004) to world first (25 April 2005)
    • -- 74 days from world first kill of Majordomo Executus (10 February 2005)
    • Onyxia
    • -- 84 days from release of Ony (7 November 2004) to world first (30 January 2005)
    • Nefarian (& Chromaggus)
    • -- 76 days from release of BWL (12 July 2005) to world first (26 September 2005)
    • -- 75 days from world first kill of Flamegor (13 July 2005)
    • C'thun
    • -- 112 days from release of AQ (3 January 2006) to world first (25 April 2006)
    • -- 85 days from world first kill of Twin Emperors (29 January 2006)

It's already been noted (several times) that C'thun was impossible to kill prior to the nerf. Was Chrommagus bugged as well prior to his first kill, which would explain the long gap between Flamegor world-first and Chrom/Nef who were killed the same day? I never had a chance to raid BWL back at 60 so I don't know.

Edit: All release dates taken from wowwiki. World first dates taken from the SK site linked by the OP.
    Church: There's no "I" in team, Grif.
    Grif: Yeah, there's no "U" either. So I guess if I'm not on the team, and you're not on the team, nobody's on the God damn team. THE TEAM SUCKS!

Quote Originally Posted by Thiz
    didn't vael take a long time?
    Wasn't Vael killed the day BWL was released?

Quote Originally Posted by kevin123
    solarian was tuned so many times most people probably dont even remember the original version. At the very start, her arcane missiles channeled for 4500 dmg/s (its 3000 dmg/sec now). Her aoe moonfire (blinding light) also decreased arcane resistance by 30 or 50 or something and stacked. Her Wrath of the Astromancer was a debuff that applied a 50% extra arcane dmg taken buff (that would stack if you received the debuff again), and also applied 8 second dot that did ~1000 arcane dmg every 2 seconds, and after it expired (or the person died), that debuff would jump to the next closest person.

Basically all that coupled together made that fight very difficult because her arcane missiled targetted on anyone with the wrath of the astromancer debuff would do 50% more dmg (or 100% more if you have a double stack), and after a decent period of time, a large portion of your raid will have that debuff because it keeps bouncing around and she casts more on other targets, so after like 2 teleports, you'll have 4 wraths boucning around in your raid making everyone take more arcane dmg while leaving a nasty arcane dot on them (all the while arcane resist wouldnt help because of the stacking negative arcane resist debuff).

Death Wish actually discovered that Arcane Missiles only targets players in frontal cone very early in the learning process. The key discovery was figuring out a clever way to manage the Wrath of the Astromancer debuff.

Like you said, the Wrath debuff would always bounce to the nearest friendly player after the duration of the dot, leaving behind another debuff that increases Arcane damage taken. It would continue bouncing until the target died.

Two Warriors stacked Arcane Resistance beyond maximum and stood on top of each other, healed by one Druid. Anyone who got the debuff would stood near them to pass the debuff onto them. The two "AR Tanks" would take pass the Wraths back and forth between them to protect the raid from them. The amount of Arcane Damage they would take would continually increase, but it was mostly mitigated by Arcane Resistance. When one of them would inevitably die, Soulstone or Rebirth was used to get them back up. Fresh with no debuffs.

This strategy enabled the rest of the raid to function without the need of Arcane Resistance. AoE Moonfire and Arcane Missiles was simply healed through. Just worry about killing Solarian before the raid ran out of ways to resurrect the Wrath debuff.

Not long after the first few Astromancer kills, another guild discovered that the Wrath of the Astromancer could be spread to the corpse of a Hunter's Pet. Just leave a dead wolf on the ground, and instruct anyone who got the debuff to stand on top of it. About 500 guilds killed her that day. I guess that theoretically makes the original Solarian the easiest raid boss in all of BC.